Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered User
 
Henry Kaspar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 48
Posts: 1,381
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

I just enjoy this great era of tennis.

www.yokozunatennis.blogspot.com

Current sanyaku ranked players:
Yokozuna: Roger Federer (Dai-Y), Novak Djokovic (Dai-Y), Andy Murray [Rafael Nadal is an inactive Dai-Yokozuna]
Ozeki: Stan Wawrinka (kadoban)
Sekiwake: Tomas Berdych (ex-Ozeki), Milos Raonic
Komusubi: none

Active ex-sanyaku-ranked players
Ozeki:
Del Potro, Ferrer. Sekiwake: Tsonga, Baghdatis, Haas, Raonic, Nishikori, Gasquet. Komusubi: Robredo, Ginepri, Gasquet, Verdasco, Melzer, Monfils, Youzhny, Janowicz, Dimitrov, Gulbis, Kyrgios, Thiem.
Henry Kaspar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,931
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

The idea of hating someone I don't know just seems idiotic. Maybe if they repeatedly kicked spectators, or urinated on ballboys, then dislike or contempt might be appropriate.
philosophicalarf is offline  
post #63 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

of the current top-4 I like everybody actually

I have an allergy to Nadal (I can still appreciate things he does and don't like stupidly provoking his fans on the web, but yes, it's what hatred really means in my eyes, and what it is also probably really for some other people towards my favorite Federer or towards Djokovic or towards Murray ... or towards poor David Ferrer )

but he's not in top-4 anymore

Last edited by duong; 01-27-2013 at 05:02 PM.
duong is offline  
post #64 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,221
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
The idea of hating someone I don't know just seems idiotic. Maybe if they repeatedly kicked spectators, or urinated on ballboys, then dislike or contempt might be appropriate.
Not even. Stefan Edberg killed a linesman, and he was one of the nicest guys in tennis.
Caesar1844 is offline  
post #65 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Registered User
 
Murray Mint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Age: 30
Posts: 3,643
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Motoflou View Post
I don't have time to spend hating professional athletes that I've never met. Hell, I don't even have time to sit around thinking up cute nicknames like the rest of you guys...
I like this. Cutting and bang on the mark.

I don't dislike any of them. The worst thing about this forum, the thing that almost ruins it, is the constant - and I mean constant - bullshit from Roger fans slagging off Nadal, or Djokovic fans slagging off Murray, and vice-versa. Thread after thread filled with mindless crap (scarily often from grown men), that has no value and is just a waste of time. Don't get me wrong, a bit of piss-taking can be funny, but the repartee is generally abysmal. There's some bloody good stuff posted on here, and it's a pain having to trawl through 'Nadull blah blah blah' for the umpteenth time, in order to read it.

There are people in sport that are very easy to dislike, I don't think tennis' elite four players fall into that category. All of them generally represent the sport very well, and seem like very decent people.
Murray Mint is offline  
post #66 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Registered User
 
MuzzahLovah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 20,421
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
You don't dislike Federer as person? Probably should listen to more of his interviews.
Or his antics on court. Fed's as classless as they come. I don't see what fair minded person could find Fed comment professional or endearing.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/atta...8&d=1224521470

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline  
post #67 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Registered User
 
MuzzahLovah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 20,421
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Obviously you can really get to know someone by listening to them give press conferences.
It's the closest we can get. And from what I've heard from him with my own hears, I could never be a fan.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/atta...8&d=1224521470

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline  
post #68 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 29
Posts: 4,295
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Me and Fed, so special. I want him to stick around as long as possible.
nick the greek is offline  
post #69 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered User
 
AntiTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 23
Posts: 987
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Or his antics on court. Fed's as classless as they come. I don't see what fair minded person could find Fed comment professional or endearing.
players usually talk very good about Roger, I know it because(being his fan) I have seen so many videos, read interviews, etc about him. Of course you know Roger better than the other players... Roger is almost all the time a very classy person and normally don't fake or use "tactics" like you say, but if one day he does something strange people and press make a big deal about it, but that's because he never does it. For example how many times tennis players have broken racquets? if Djoker(just an example) breaks a racquet..people won't do a big deal about it, but if Roger does it..oh my god..those journalists and haters will go crazy, that's just normal. Also he didn't win the Edberg sportsmanship award 8 times for nothing, are the players who voted for him.

Roger Federer

Form is temporary, class is permanent

"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" RF.

"He is capable of hitting shots which others don't even think about trying" Lendl on RF.

08/07/12 Eternal and immortal RF made H1S7ORY!
AntiTennis is offline  
post #70 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Registered User
 
MuzzahLovah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 20,421
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiTennis View Post
players usually talk very good about Roger, I know it because(being his fan) I have seen so many videos, read interviews, etc about him. Of course you know Roger better than the other players... Roger is almost all the time a very classy person and normally don't fake or use "tactics" like you say, but if one day he does something strange people and press make a big deal about it, but that's because he never does it. For example how many times tennis players have broken racquets? if Djoker(just an example) breaks a racquet..people won't do a big deal about it, but if Roger does it..oh my god..those journalists and haters will go crazy, that's just normal. Also he didn't win the Edberg sportsmanship award 8 times for nothing, are the players who voted for him.
Breaking racquets is not remotely on the same level as swearing at a an opponent
I said "antics" not tactics. I'm not a fan of Nadal or Nole because of their tactics in winning matches, but the only one I really dislike is Fed, because he's so awful and classless towards other players, especially in interviews. The things he said after losing to Berdych and Nole were pathetic.

He won the Edberg award because he's the most famous and successful player. Obviously there are many minor players that are better sports, more gracious etc, like Del Po or Nishikori.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/atta...8&d=1224521470

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline  
post #71 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Registered User
 
AntiTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 23
Posts: 987
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Hate is a strong word, I don't hate a top four player. Maybe sometimes I dislike things they do..like Djokovic celebrating too exaggerated, or Nadal calling MTO in an important moment of the match, or Murray yelling to many things to himself in court when things don't go his way or faking, etc. But in general I appreciate the talent of all these guys, they are great and make this sport better, I actually miss Nadal .

Roger Federer

Form is temporary, class is permanent

"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" RF.

"He is capable of hitting shots which others don't even think about trying" Lendl on RF.

08/07/12 Eternal and immortal RF made H1S7ORY!
AntiTennis is offline  
post #72 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Muzzahlovah : I'm allergic to Nadal as much as you are to Fed (well, less at the moment because I see him less and what happens to him is indeed sad),

but the difference between us is that I don't consider this allergy, which is a very personal feeling, as being "objective" at all.
duong is offline  
post #73 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Registered User
 
AntiTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 23
Posts: 987
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Breaking racquets is not remotely on the same level as swearing at a an opponent
I said "antics" not tactics. I'm not a fan of Nadal or Nole because of their tactics in winning matches, but the only one I really dislike is Fed, because he's so awful and classless towards other players, especially in interviews. The things he said after losing to Berdych and Nole were pathetic.

He won the Edberg award because he's the most famous and successful player. Obviously there are many minor players that are better sports, more gracious etc, like Del Po or Nishikori.
Breaking racquets was just an example, oh c'mon we don't know what happened out there..you should do what your idol just said "don't make a big deal about it".
You only read what bad things Roger said after some losses, not the good things he said, I mean I don't think you read all interviews Roger does after a lost or win, I do almost all the time. And I can say to you..Roger normally speaks very well of his opponents, but like I said to you before..the day he doesn't do that.. press and people make a very big deal of it ..just because is Roger Federer. In summary you shouldn't judge Roger because of some things you read in the press interviews, because you haven't read all, just the bad things, which are rare.

Roger Federer

Form is temporary, class is permanent

"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" RF.

"He is capable of hitting shots which others don't even think about trying" Lendl on RF.

08/07/12 Eternal and immortal RF made H1S7ORY!
AntiTennis is offline  
post #74 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Registered User
 
AntiTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 23
Posts: 987
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Breaking racquets is not remotely on the same level as swearing at a an opponent

He won the Edberg award because he's the most famous and successful player. Obviously there are many minor players that are better sports, more gracious etc, like Del Po or Nishikori.
Look when I see interviews of players talking about Roger, for example..when he came to south america, a lot of latin players active or retired talked about him and they said how humble is Roger considering all he won, and how he usually goes and say hello to everyone or talks in the locker room like another normal player, in general they talked very good of him like a person. Almost all the time he is very classy, but he is not perfect, he is human like us, people forget that sometimes. Who deserves it more than Roger? I just can think in Delpo like a possibility. But also you have to consider Rog has done a lot for this sport, he is just a good ambassador for tennis in general.

Roger Federer

Form is temporary, class is permanent

"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" RF.

"He is capable of hitting shots which others don't even think about trying" Lendl on RF.

08/07/12 Eternal and immortal RF made H1S7ORY!
AntiTennis is offline  
post #75 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered User
 
Sophitia36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
                     
Re: Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Muzzahlovah : I'm allergic to Nadal as much as you are to Fed (well, less at the moment because I see him less and what happens to him is indeed sad),

but the difference between us is that I don't consider this allergy, which is a very personal feeling, as being "objective" at all.
That's the key. I sometimes also have experience some irrational hatred (or rather strong dislike) for a player. Maybe when I was a child or a teenager, I would have tried to disguise my irrational hatred by making up arguments to make it look reasonable.
But now that I am more mature, I am fully aware that most of the time, I hate players for no good reason. Or maybe I bear a grudge against them for beating my favourite player, but I'm aware that this is no good reason to dislike them (you can't blame them for winning after all!)

I also used to have something like an allergy to Nadal. But seeing off-court footage of him made him look far more agreeable to me. And also as you said, he's been injured for months so he's been mistreating my faves less often, and you have to feel at least a little sorry for him.
DinnerWarrior likes this.
Sophitia36 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome