Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Lightbulb Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

I know he has his fans on here but he is soooooo bad. Saw him get destroyed by nadal 6-2 6-1 at the madrid masters and nadal played as badly as he's probably ever played since he was 12 years old. Sanguinetti can obviously play a little but is mediocre at best and will not get beyond the 2nd round of a single grand slam next year...or ever again in his career

Hi to all the sanguinetti fans out there
federer express is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 32
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Ha ha! This quasi-trollish thread has backfired spectacularly, because Sanguinetti actually has something of an unorthodox, classical game with its low shots and off-pace groundstrokes that is a throwback to an earlier era, just like your new God is often said to be. I'm not disputing that his best days are behind him and Italian tennis will shortly need to rely on Volandri alone, but remember... check the head-to-head between him and Federer and you may not find the statistic you're expecting.

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 32
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

We all know that there is only one man who is become Death, the Destroyer of Tennis, and he is now the most successful tennis Olympian in history. Makes you think, dunnit?

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Rogiman is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
Ha ha! This quasi-trollish thread has backfired spectacularly, because Sanguinetti actually has something of an unorthodox, classical game with its low shots and off-pace groundstrokes that is a throwback to an earlier era, just like your new God is often said to be. I'm not disputing that his best days are behind him and Italian tennis will shortly need to rely on Volandri alone, but remember... check the head-to-head between him and Federer and you may not find the statistic you're expecting.
federer has a winning record...just because he has lost 1 match to him (2years ago and in italy) doesn't mean sanguinetti is any good. His game does belong in an era long gone i'll agree on that....the game has moved thankfully! Its not only the power he lacks, he doesn't do anything well. McEnroe didn't hit people off the court either but he still did ok
federer express is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Registered User
 
mitalidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,048
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
and Italian tennis will shortly need to rely on Volandri alone.
you mean Potito , right?
mitalidas is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitalidas
you mean Potito , right?
think he means volandri...who will only be ok too. yet another player who will win some matches on clay and spend the rest of the year moaning that he's not on clay.
federer express is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:03 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 24,604
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Sanguinetti is the death of men's tennis. Any player who looks at him thinks about his own retirement. He could easily pass for over-45's mens matches and quite frankly he plays like someone of that age. My dad who is nearly twice his age looks younger than him.
Horatio Caine is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 32
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer express
federer has a winning record...just because he has lost 1 match to him (2years ago and in italy) doesn't mean sanguinetti is any good. His game does belong in an era long gone i'll agree on that....the game has moved thankfully! Its not only the power he lacks, he doesn't do anything well. McEnroe didn't hit people off the court either but he still did ok
But, to paraphrase those who replied to Coria trolls in the aftermath of the RG final, who won the match that counted? Actually, I saw that Milan final, and Sanguinetti did hit some stunning returns and aggressive shots when he needed to. Hardly a surprise, bearing in mind the guy had beaten Ferrero, El Aynaoui and Escude to get to the final, and went on to beat Srichaphan and Roddick when he won Delray Beach later that year. My, what a hopeless player.

He has a very good, flowing backhand that stays low, the forehand is a bit of a weak slap a la Jonas Bjorkman. The service action is quite abbreviated and fast as well, not too easy to read. Frankly, I think it's a terrible shame we won't be seeing any more of this style, although fortunately new players like Mayer are carrying on the tradition of oddball tennis. Let's face it though, at the moment someone like Soderling is the future of tennis, on fast courts at least.

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Registered User
 
MissPovaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Devon, UK
Age: 34
Posts: 9,119
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Whilst Davide Sanguinetti isn't up to much these days I think its unfai to slag him off as he has had a moderately good career. That win over Federer in 2002 is a mighty impressive statistic I must say!
MissPovaFan is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Registered User
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 527
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
But, to paraphrase those who replied to Coria trolls in the aftermath of the RG final, who won the match that counted? Actually, I saw that Milan final, and Sanguinetti did hit some stunning returns and aggressive shots when he needed to. Hardly a surprise, bearing in mind the guy had beaten Ferrero, El Aynaoui and Escude to get to the final, and went on to beat Srichaphan and Roddick when he won Delray Beach later that year. My, what a hopeless player.

He has a very good, flowing backhand that stays low, the forehand is a bit of a weak slap a la Jonas Bjorkman. The service action is quite abbreviated and fast as well, not too easy to read. Frankly, I think it's a terrible shame we won't be seeing any more of this style, although fortunately new players like Mayer are carrying on the tradition of oddball tennis. Let's face it though, at the moment someone like Soderling is the future of tennis, on fast courts at least.
Another well used 3-minutes
Blaze is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 32
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

I try my best, although the verbiage may be off-putting to some.

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Banned!
 
KarstenBraasch#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,761
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Davide is great, apart from his choking.

He has to keep playing, we have already lost Pozzi.
KarstenBraasch#1 is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:50 AM
country flag Pea
Registered User
 
Pea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,938
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
We all know that there is only one man who is become Death, the Destroyer of Tennis, and he is now the most successful tennis Olympian in history. Makes you think, dunnit?
You're so bad.

GoOD luCk iN 2004:
{{{Alex Corretja}}}
{{{Roger Federer}}}
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Registered User
 
tennischick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,771
                     
Re: Sanguinetti is the death of good tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarstenBraasch#1
Davide is great, apart from his choking.

He has to keep playing, we have already lost Pozzi.
Gianluca Pozzi i miss him so...

Q. When you've played as few matches as you have over the last two, three months, did you ever lack motivation to go out and practice?

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome