Courier: Olympics = 5th major! - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Registered User
 
janko05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,301
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Olympics is greater than WTF because of two key reasons:

1. It is held once in four years, making the chances to get the title less in a player's career.
2. Getting an Olympic gold medal is much more popular around the world than getting the WTF title. Non-tennis fans can appreciate the medal more than the WTF title. It's more prestige gained inside the biggest sporting competition on the planet.
But we are hard-core tennis fans and we know better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by: Toni Nadal
Rafael has won more titles than Novak Djokovic, but speaking merely about tennis and about the game, Rafa has to be considered slightly lower than Djokovic. The Serb is such a good player that he is as close as you can get to Roger Federer
janko05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Registered User
 
The Fearhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,236
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Olympics are more important than Slams. Like mentioned before you represent your nation in the biggest sporting event for a competition that is every 4 years. So a player getting one is incredibly difficult. You barely have 2-3 times to get it which is insanely hard considering you go up against the best of the best especially these past 10 years. You ask the top 4...a slam title or singles olympic gold ? All 4 wouldn't even hesitate.

So in that sense you can't call it a slam because it's a different breed. Olympics are olympics, slams are slams.
The Fearhand is offline  
post #33 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Registered User
 
Moozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,882
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
WTF has always been the closest to a 5th slam, sometimes even a 4th slam when the AO was a joke (WCT finals would be the 5th slam). But I don't expect someone who just started watching tennis to know anything about what makes the slams important other than what ESPN tells you...

Olympics is a joke, besides all the many problems there are qualifying it as even a tournament (every 4 years, changing venue and surface and country, no history) the biggest issue is that winning isn't the most important goal, getting a medal is. The real fights were in the SF between Del Po/Federer and Del Po/Djokovic in the Bronze medal match, once you medal it doesn't really matter.

I understand hyping the olympics before the USO win, Murraytards were desperate for years for anything. But now it's just pathetic, the USO was a disgrace but at least it was a slam not a media creation.
Clown. It is much more important to get gold than silver or bronze.... oh wait Olderer only has a silver in singles, how convent of you, an Olderer tard, to say something like that. You can be sure if Fed had a singles gold medal you would be singing a very different tune.

LOBRAY, LEGEND OF THE LOB
Moozza is offline  
post #34 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Registered User
 
Fed Muzza Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 361
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

There are only 4 GSs outthere.


GOATerer
Fed Muzza Killer is offline  
post #35 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,265
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
During tonight's coverage, Jim Courier stated that in his mind the Olympics is the 5th major and the reason why? Because the players certainly treat it that way! He goes on to state that therefore in his opinion Murray was the player of the season 2012. He also says that it's a big reason for Federer to be motivated to make it to the Rio 2016 games.

I'd also rate it as the next important tournament after the 4 majors as well, you can see how much it means to the players and the final is best of 5.
A tournament which doesn't even include close to as many players as a Grand Slam and is best of 3 up until the final can never be spoken of in the same light as such.
Burrow is offline  
post #36 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Registered User
 
SliceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 2,492
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozza View Post
Clown. It is much more important to get gold than silver or bronze.... oh wait Olderer only has a silver in singles, how convent of you, an Olderer tard, to say something like that. You can be sure if Fed had a singles gold medal you would be singing a very different tune.
I don't think there's a single Murraytard, including Murray himself who would not trade the OG win and Wimbledon loss for the reverse. The OG last year was probably the most important it will ever be because it was a warm up for Wimbledon, but that's all it will ever be, a slam warmup and inconvenience in the schedule every 4 years.

If Federer hadn't won silver in 2012 or gold in 2008 I wouldn't care, just like I don't care that he hasn't won Abu Dhabi, the Challenger tour finals, and other meaningless events with about as much history as the Olympics. I also don't care that he hasn't won Davis cup the same reason Murray shouldn't care, it's not an individual event (neither is the Olympics btw) and has very little to do with how good you are as a player. Winning the Olympics is like winning the Davis Cup, it's mostly down to luck and surface choice.
SliceAce is offline  
post #37 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

SliceAce is making sense.............am I being punk'd?
Saberq is offline  
post #38 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,286
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
The OG last year was probably the most important it will ever be because it was a warm up for Wimbledon
How could it be a warm-up when it was after?
ogbg is offline  
post #39 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,265
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
I don't think there's a single Murraytard, including Murray himself who would not trade the OG win and Wimbledon loss for the reverse. The OG last year was probably the most important it will ever be because it was a warm up for Wimbledon, but that's all it will ever be, a slam warmup and inconvenience in the schedule every 4 years.

If Federer hadn't won silver in 2012 or gold in 2008 I wouldn't care, just like I don't care that he hasn't won Abu Dhabi, the Challenger tour finals, and other meaningless events with about as much history as the Olympics. I also don't care that he hasn't won Davis cup the same reason Murray shouldn't care, it's not an individual event (neither is the Olympics btw) and has very little to do with how good you are as a player. Winning the Olympics is like winning the Davis Cup, it's mostly down to luck and surface choice.
It was after Wimbledon.
Burrow is offline  
post #40 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Registered User
 
GSMnadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Netherlands
Age: 24
Posts: 16,533
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbg View Post
How could it be a warm-up when it was after?


Because SliceAce is a living mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
SliceAce is making sense.............am I being punk'd?
Yeah, he really made sense

RAFAEL NADAL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline  
post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered User
 
Chris Kuerten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 17,910
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
The OG last year was probably the most important it will ever be because it was a warm up for Wimbledon, but that's all it will ever be, a slam warmup and inconvenience in the schedule every 4 years.
You know the Olympics were after Wimbledon, right?

Right?

I am the Nelson Mandela of MTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Santaro was a better version of Ferrer
Quote:
At the end of Federer's first round match at the Australian Open a fawning interviewer asked about his kids and if he had bought coach Stefan Edberg a birthday present - no, by the way, the privilege of knocking up with 'King Roger' was enough of a present apparently.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...nnis/65231157/

Sombrerero loco exposed

(Again)
Chris Kuerten is online now  
post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 15,389
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Yea, Wimbledon was the warm-up for the Olympics Anyway, there 4 majors, full stop. Beyond that it's all individual, some would like more slams, some to win something for the country, or to win for the country as part of a team etc

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Moderator
 
Pratik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 17,909
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Yes, Olympics is the 5th major and anyone who disagrees needs to get their head checked.

While we are at it, let's not forget that Miami, Indian Wells and Abu Dhabi are also the 5th major. So, we have 4 "main" majors, and 4 5th majors.
Pratik is offline  
post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Federer fan forever
 
Chirag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,903
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

olympics rank leser than WTF because tennis is an annual sport and not a 4 year sport like atletics and swimming . SO an annual event which the top players play will be more important .

It tougher to win yes but it also needs luck that you play your best tennis in those 2 weeks . Novak was in God mode in 2011 and would have won the gold blind folded but it wasnt held that year . Why should 2011 Nole get penalised for not winning a gold when he never got a chance to do it that year . It just seems wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick the greek View Post
Me and Fed, so special. I want him to stick around as long as possible.
Chirag is offline  
post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered User
 
Chris Kuerten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 17,910
                     
Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
olympics rank leser than WTF because tennis is an annual sport and not a 4 year sport like atletics and swimming . SO an annual event which the top players play will be more important .

It tougher to win yes but it also needs luck that you play your best tennis in those 2 weeks . Novak was in God mode in 2011 and would have won the gold blind folded but it wasnt held that year . Why should 2011 Nole get penalised for not winning a gold when he never got a chance to do it that year . It just seems wrong
Yes, so sad for Djokovic. The fact that Federer has won 6 WTF's and 0 gold medals in singles (as opposed to his arch nemesis Nadal) obviously has no effect on your judgement

I am the Nelson Mandela of MTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Santaro was a better version of Ferrer
Quote:
At the end of Federer's first round match at the Australian Open a fawning interviewer asked about his kids and if he had bought coach Stefan Edberg a birthday present - no, by the way, the privilege of knocking up with 'King Roger' was enough of a present apparently.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...nnis/65231157/

Sombrerero loco exposed

(Again)
Chris Kuerten is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome