Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 167
                     
Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

A Belgian tennis player: "Doping is a reality. Why not legalize it? '
Reported by Imanol Corcostegui


It is rare to read as clearly expressed the doubts of a professional tennis player on the practice of doping in sport. Interviewed by Radio Twizz, Christophe Rochus, whose remarks were relayed by La Libre Belgique, is convinced that this is a reality:

"When I got in the top 100, I said in the media that it was boosted outrageous all these players and I received a threatening letter from the ATP Tour said:" This is the last time you mention that. You have no evidence, you have nothing. "Finally, all the players I mentioned have tested positive. They were all Argentines. '

Belgian wonders especially on sudden absences of some champions like Nadal or Soderling:

" Look Robin Söderling ... He won the tournament in Bastad in 2011 and since then it no longer plays tennis. It is supposedly seriously ill while I'm sure he was unbeatable at the time. We can not overlook the fact that it is very suspicious! It reached the highest level of his career and the day after, it says I can not play tennis ... Me, it seems incredible.

You say "Oh, that's weird." There is still a lot of suspicious things that happen and it seems that the best have nothing. Just like anywhere, there are always people you can buy! '




http://www.rue89.com/rue89-sport/201...s-le-legaliser
Kei_is_a_samurai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 21
Posts: 172
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Interesting points that will no doubt offend many.
Zepploydath is offline  
post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,457
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Obviously they shouldn't be legalised but anything that brings attention to how bafflingly poor the doping controls are in tennis is a good thing. Good for him for speaking up.
Abel is offline  
post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,457
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
I can understand his doubts over Nadal but Soderling's mono could have become worse and we saw RF winning a GS even if he suffered from the illness earlier in the year.

To me, Djokovic's transformation into a running machine is a lot more debatable even if the egg is not banned.
The egg was used during 2010, no? Rather than the end of the year/early 2011. I think Nole's ascent to greatness from late 2010 to the present day has myriad factors, far beyond mere improvement in fitness.
Abel is offline  
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Registered User
 
Punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: English Myple and proud
Posts: 33,475
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Sport (or, primarily in North America, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and provide entertainment to participants

doping isnt one of them.

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
--------------------------------------------
"People were created to be loved
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline  
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochus
"Finally, all the players I mentioned have tested positive. They were all Argentines."
surprise, surprise...

abraxas21 is offline  
post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,218
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

A few other players have said the same thing, but the ATP always slaps them down fast :-) About a decade or so back they started to get strict on this, after lots of players had accused Agassi of doping.


Anyway, it's blindingly obvious doping will be rampant in tennis. You have it in all top level professional sports, it's even getting common in a lot of amateur stuff now. With tennis dopetesting almost non-existent, it's inevitable.
philosophicalarf is offline  
post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,122
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

seems legit
motorhead is offline  
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei_is_a_samurai View Post
A Belgian tennis player: "Doping is a reality. Why not legalize it? '
Reported by Imanol Corcostegui


It is rare to read as clearly expressed the doubts of a professional tennis player on the practice of doping in sport. Interviewed by Radio Twizz, Christophe Rochus, whose remarks were relayed by La Libre Belgique, is convinced that this is a reality:

"When I got in the top 100, I said in the media that it was boosted outrageous all these players and I received a threatening letter from the ATP Tour said:" This is the last time you mention that. You have no evidence, you have nothing. "Finally, all the players I mentioned have tested positive. They were all Argentines. '

Belgian wonders especially on sudden absences of some champions like Nadal or Soderling:

" Look Robin Söderling ... He won the tournament in Bastad in 2011 and since then it no longer plays tennis. It is supposedly seriously ill while I'm sure he was unbeatable at the time. We can not overlook the fact that it is very suspicious! It reached the highest level of his career and the day after, it says I can not play tennis ... Me, it seems incredible.

You say "Oh, that's weird." There is still a lot of suspicious things that happen and it seems that the best have nothing. Just like anywhere, there are always people you can buy! '




http://www.rue89.com/rue89-sport/201...s-le-legaliser
rochus is right on the money but i don't think doping should be made legal.

we need more restrictions and more supervision.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Lurrrkin'
 
Sham Kay Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 16,473
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

You missed a trick by not using the title "Christophe Rochus accuses Nadal, Soderling and all Argentines of doping"
Sham Kay Adams is offline  
post #11 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,884
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

There are most certainly dopers in the top 100 but to point out Soderling who have been medically proven to have mononucleosis and is also practicing as hard as his body allows him for a possible return to the tour...

Christophe is a known asshole though, nothing new about that.

Tea of truth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We should be appreciative of Federer though, because we will never see anything like him again. The fact he can still compete for slams ever after the erosion of his physical skills is really a greater testament to the natural talent he has than the period of time when he was dominating the tour.
Nadaltards in 2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Nadal is by far the most naturally talented player of all time and that is the reason his stay at the top is a lot longer than players like Federer etc were able to do.
Orka_n is offline  
post #12 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Registered User
 
VamosRafaNadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 7,279
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

As far as I'm concerned, ATP now does a great job to avoid doping from tennis. Rafa Nadal said on an interview that as a tennis player you have to say each of the 365 days of the year where you will be (including when you're on holidays) and say a time where ATP can find you (in the indicated place). There are one or more doping controls each month (Nadal had at least two in December, in two consecutive days at 6:30 am, as it is a time that he knows that he'll be at home... good way to start the day but he offered a coffee to the ATP workers ). They take samples of urine, blood or both.

I think that this protocol is fine. But this is the teorical protocol, if we implement it on reality in the same way as it is described I think that there is no need to have doping problems. But if it is something that can make the ATP doping controls better, it is positive to use it. I think that we can't allow doping and that there have to be ways to fight against it.

EDIT: philosophicalarf gave me information about the average doping controls that are done each year, so I change my words, as I was only focused on the protocol (that I think that it is correct) but not in the times a year that doping controls are done (wich I thought that were more). So there is the philosophicalarf message: here and my answer: here


Last edited by VamosRafaNadal; 01-15-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Adding some information about the average doping controls as one user said to me
VamosRafaNadal is offline  
post #13 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,226
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
The egg was used during 2010, no? Rather than the end of the year/early 2011. I think Nole's ascent to greatness from late 2010 to the present day has myriad factors, far beyond mere improvement in fitness.
Ascent to greatness in 2010? He won a tight match with a bucketload of mistakes against Fed at the USO and then proceeded to bend over to Nadal in the final. Winning DC against the French is hardly greatness...

The reason I mentioned the egg was because it can be used to mask the use of EPO, not that it in itself is illegal. Of course, I cannot prove my suspicions but this was the case with Cheatstrong for many years and you can see the result in Oprah's show.

Finally, Djokovic's improvement in fitness had all to do with his success in 2011 and his 2012 AO win in the final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
in other words, "i'm a fanboy so i'll only raise doping suspicions on the players i dislike".
Not that you deserve a reply but no. I just don't think his reasoning makes sense. You can have mono and play tennis and win a small on the surface you made your breakthrough. If you want to point some other points he made that make more sense feel free.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #14 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Posts: 7,480
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Don't think doping should be legalized, at least not the substances that can cause damage to athletes. Sport is supposed to promote a healthy lifestyle. There may be some stuff that could be argued for, but not knowing enough I will refrain naming any .

After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline  
post #15 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 39
Posts: 2,349
                     
Re: Christophe Rochus wants doping to be made legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Obviously they shouldn't be legalised but anything that brings attention to how bafflingly poor the doping controls are in tennis is a good thing. Good for him for speaking up.
I agree. His idea is facile and he clearly lacks brain cells. But the more professionals who go on record to speak about doping as "reality", and begin to question the suspicious nature of other players withdrawals, the better.
Han Solo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome