What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?
Wimbledon 2006 1 1.56%
French Open 2008 6 9.38%
Wimbledon 2009 2 3.13%
US Open 2009 2 3.13%
French Open 2010 4 6.25%
Wimbledon 2010 19 29.69%
US Open 2010 4 6.25%
Australian Open 2011 0 0%
French Open 2012 1 1.56%
US Open 2012 25 39.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 30
Posts: 4,295
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
USO 2012 wasn't a great slam in terms of quality but definitely a great and deserved winner.
We agree to disagree.
nick the greek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered User
 
EddieNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 51
Posts: 3,553
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick the greek View Post
2009 RG and 2012 Wimby of course, 2012 USO too.No explanation needed.
Thank God. The least you post the better for this forum.
EddieNero is offline  
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,457
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

USO 2012 for the winner and the manner of the win.

Thought it was a quite entertaining tournament up until the tornadoes during the semi-finals and final. But at least the tournament will be forever asterisked.

Wimbledon 2010 wasn't great either.
Abel is offline  
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,137
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

The winner was great. He proved a load of people wrong, who then made excuse after excuse for being wrong instead of suking it.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,436
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Yes, of course USO 2012 was objectively the worst Grand Slam in recent memory if only for the 'quality' of the semis and final - I guess the players can't exactly be blamed but the truth is the tennis was horrible in the late stages.

There were some great matches prior to the semis and Nole and Delpo played arguably the best set of the year in the QF, but SFs and F were just a complete trainwreck.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,457
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

I have nothing against Murray as such but I'd rather the semis and final been played in normal conditions. Ferrer taking a set of Nole on a HC is enough to make you question the latter stages. If nothing else the quality was abysmal. As fans, we have a right to expect more at the highest level (but again, it wasn't the players' fault).

As ML says, the Delpo/Nole QF was excellent viewing and the highlight of the tournament.
Abel is offline  
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,137
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
I have nothing against Murray as such but I'd rather the semis and final been played in normal conditions. Ferrer taking a set of Nole on a HC is enough to make you question the latter stages.

As ML says, the Delpo/Nole QF was excellent viewing and the highlight of the tournament.
Murray played much better tennis in three of his previous four final runs (AO 2011 was worse than this) and had been to enough finals that I guess it was only right he would get over the line.

BTW the early rounds of USO'12 was underrated with Gulbis-Haas a corker.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 30
Posts: 4,295
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
Thank God. The least you post the better for this forum.
Lol, don't be mad at me about hating yourself.
nick the greek is offline  
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Federer-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,502
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
USO 2012 wasn't a great slam in terms of quality but definitely a great and deserved winner.
First of all, we don't speak about the winner. Then, Djokovic also deserved the title...
Federer-Fan is offline  
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,457
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Murray played much better tennis in three of his previous four final runs (AO 2011 was worse than this) and had been to enough finals that I guess it was only right he would get over the line.

BTW the early rounds of USO'12 was underrated with Gulbis-Haas a corker.
I agree. Murray wasn't great in the USO early rounds, he has definitely played better elsewhere and he's certainly a very good player. But the SF and F of USO '12 just left me cold, it was dreadful to watch and (presumably) to play in.

I don't expect Murray fans to agree but it was a shambolic end to an otherwise enjoyable tournament.
Abel is offline  
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,137
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer-Fan View Post
First of all, we don't speak about the winner. Then, Djokovic also deserved the title...
Djokovic played a great tournament and fell short in a long, scrappy baseline war of attrition on a slowed down Ashe. Happens. He's still the best on the planet.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London (sadly)
Posts: 14,938
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

USo 2012 was a bad tourney. Tipsy v Ferrer was amazing mind

AO 2011 was crappy. AO 2010 wasn't much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned....
TigerTim is offline  
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,137
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
I agree. Murray wasn't great in the USO early rounds, he has definitely played better elsewhere and he's certainly a very good player. But the SF and F of USO '12 just left me cold, it was dreadful to watch and (presumably) to play in.

I don't expect Murray fans to agree but it was a shambolic end to an otherwise enjoyable tournament.
When you've stuck with a fave for 8 years and suffered a few moments of heartache you'll take it any way you can.

You're a Nole fan you'd probably agree the Wimbledon he won was pretty low quality (with a DIRE final for grass tennis) but he still got the W no one will change that.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,436
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

The quality of a GS event has nothing to do with the winner. The USO 2012 wasn't the worst Slam in recent memory because Murray won, but because the scheduling was catastrophic, and the quality of the tennis in the late stages (SF and F) absolutely shocking. Also, it had the worst 1st round of a Slam I can remember with plenty of crap televised matches. All in all, very few memorable matches and most for bad reasons (ie Cilic's choke).
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London (sadly)
Posts: 14,938
                     
Re: What was the worst Grand Slam since 2005 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
The quality of a GS event has nothing to do with the winner. The USO 2012 wasn't the worst Slam in recent memory because Murray won, but because the scheduling was catastrophic, and the quality of the tennis in the late stages (SF and F) absolutely shocking. Also, it had the worst 1st round of a Slam I can remember with plenty of crap televised matches. All in all, very few memorable matches and most for bad reasons (ie Cilic's choke).
Nah, Cilic didn't choke. He just realised he was facing a all time great and bowed. Naturally in retrospect, Cilic is perhaps a prophet of the ATP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned....
TigerTim is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome