Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016" - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,940
                     
Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

Good luck to him I guess but he'll be nearly 35 - if he actually is still competitive by then it'll say a LOT about the state of the game and particularly the youngsters in that case. On the plus side he doesn't look likely to be threatened by any Swiss youngsters so he'd certainly qualify I'm sure...

Quote:
Roger Federer says he won't play as often in the next few years and hopes to compete in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. The 31-year-old Federer says he'll be more mindful about the tournaments he plays in the future to make sure he can keep playing at a high level.

"I have to make sure that I take care of my schedule, of my body, of my mind," he said Thursday before an exhibition match with Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci. "Hopefully I can still stay on tour for many more years and hopefully play the Olympics here in three and a half years or so, so I have to look far ahead and not just the next six months."

Others in the exhibition include Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, Serena Williams, Caroline Wozniacki, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Tommy Robredo and Tommy Haas. The Bryan brothers, Bob and Mike, are also participating. Federer has competed in four Olympics, winning gold in doubles at the 2008 Beijing Games and silver in singles at the London Games. The Swiss player said he'd love to make it to Rio in four years. "There is a lot of passion for sports here," said Federer, the winner of 17 Grand Slams. "It's a hot place to play tennis right now."

Federer, who ended the season No. 2, said this year was especially difficult for him because he was committed to the Davis Cup and London Games, which took him away from practice and his family. "I've played a lot of tennis. It's been a big challenge, especially with the Olympics and the Davis Cup this year," he said. "I found my way back to world No. 1 and it took a lot of sacrifices. I'd like to be home a little bit more often and in a relaxed fashion."

Still, he said it was a rewarding season. "I'm very happy that I'm still playing at a very high level," said Federer, who won six titles this year, including Wimbledon. "I had one of my best years on tour this year, and one of the most emotional ones, of course. Next year tournament victories will probably be more important than the rankings, that's why I need to make sure I practice a lot next year."

Federer played 21 tournaments in 2012, the most among the top four players. No. 1 Novak Djokovic played 18, No. 3 Andy Murray played 20 and Rafael Nadal, nursing a knee injury, played 18. "I'm not going to play 25 tournaments, but every tournament that I will be playing I'll be emotionally attached to it, because I either won there before or because I've been there many times or because I love the city or the country and the fans," he said. "Today, I've reached a point in my life that I can pick and choose where I want to play and how much I want to play."

One of the tournaments he left out of his 2013 schedule was Miami, the Masters event in March he has played since 1999 and won twice. "Miami was a tough decision for me," he said. "But I have to take some time off, first of all, but most importantly, I need to practice. This year I couldn't practice at all. Something had to go in the calendar and that was Miami, unfortunately." Federer said he thinks he will need two Grand Slams and five to eight titles in other tournaments to get back to No. 1. "It's difficult, but I'm happy to set that challenge and I'll give everything I have," he said.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012...tml?ref=tennis
Ash86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered User
 
emotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 21
Posts: 50,209
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

He'll still be top 60 and top 3 Swiss I think, and even if he's not (if he gets injured), he'll get a WC. It's just a matter of wanting to play even though you're not a Slam contender, which he likely won't be by then.

It'll kill his W-L ratio, but then again, I've always thought that was a shit way to judge greatness.
emotion is online now  
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered User
 
BauerAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Age: 24
Posts: 5,516
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

Agassi was competitive at that age. But the sport was much less physical than it is now. It's hard to tell now how he will be playing at that age. But I don't imagine Federer playing when he is ranked 54. As soon as he drops out of the TOP 10 he will retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Fuck you. This ain't no God damn hobby, motherfucker.
BauerAlmeida is offline  
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

do we really need a thread for something which is not a news at all ?

I agree with Just like Heaven when she's angry about such trolling threads with no real news and a big interpretation of a few words about Nadal, but it's the same about Federer

And Ash86 is an expert in such kind of trolling threads (even though that poster can also bring good news about Nadal especially)

he's in Brazil and that's certainly not the place and the moment where he will say "I will not play in Rio 2016"

if the goal is to discuss about when Fed will retire, there are already threads about it.

useless old guy
duong is offline  
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,549
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

[youtube]CFy9Cw0AY38[/youtube]

@ 1:10.
paseo is offline  
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 56,924
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

I agree with duong. Furthermore, the quote is - once again - off when it comes to number of tournaments played. Do anyone seriously think Nadal played as many tournaments as Djokovic this year? Every mandatory is counted, whether or not they turned up for it.
Litotes is offline  
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,940
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
do we really need a thread for something which is not a news at all ?

I agree with Just like Heaven when she's angry about such trolling threads with no real news and a big interpretation of a few words about Nadal, but it's the same about Federer

And Ash86 is an expert in such kind of trolling threads (even though that poster can also bring good news about Nadal especially)

he's in Brazil and that's certainly not the place and the moment where he will say "I will not play in Rio 2016"

if the goal is to discuss about when Fed will retire, there are already threads about it.
It's news because it's been reported by the NYTimes. And I have nothing against Fed - I said good luck to him if he wants to try. I actually admire the fact that he still clearly loves the game and doesn't seem like for one moment he's questioned that - that's not true for most other top players. If you think it's trolling, that's your opinion.
Ash86 is offline  
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 35
Posts: 2,207
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

He can.
Winning Olympics at 35/36 will just make the legend even bigger.

Supporting the Ballbasher Nation, some of our proud soldiers:
Juan Martin del Potro - Robin Soderling - Ernests Gulbis - Thomas Berdych - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Exiled: Janowicz
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline  
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
GOATsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 21
Posts: 2,848
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

he will win the gold of course!

go roger!!

GOATsol is offline  
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered User
 
Federer in 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,771
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

Allez.


ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe*

*Not anymore...

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
Federer in 2 is offline  
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
It's news because it's been reported by the NYTimes. And I have nothing against Fed - I said good luck to him if he wants to try. I actually admire the fact that he still clearly loves the game and doesn't seem like for one moment he's questioned that - that's not true for most other top players. If you think it's trolling, that's your opinion.
my problem is not about Fed or not Fed : my problem is that I know that you're used to opening new threads like that when you see an article in the press with a seemingly sensational sentence like that but which is actually not a real news. It's something I've noted about you and which I think you can correct, as beside that, you're a good poster who can bring good infos.

And you're not the only one concerned : it's a general problem in this forum, and I especially mentioned that it has been a problem for Nadal in recent months that people opened threads like that (like the famous thread "Nadal will not compete in the Australian open" )

Just like Heaven makes totally differently from you : has a lot of infos but never creates a new thread about them, just keeps posting links on an existing thread ... (and at least once she should have done differently because it deserved a new thread ... and quite soon somebody actually created a new thread whereas she had already posted the info with the best source)

I think you should be able to realize when there are real news and not, because Fed has said that he thinks about playing until Rio 2016 in many interview answers before ... but still it's not at all certain that he can do it, that's what we will see (recently for instance I read that he said something like he thought "he still had 2 years on top-level").

It was just a remark on your way of doing things because I think you could do it another way (and actually I had the impression that you were more cautious about your favorite Nadal and managed to post in already existing threads)

the problem about creating a new thread is that it gives the impression that there's something really new, and it's clearly not the case here, NY times or not (if the NY Times had a full long analysing article on it it might deserve a thread ... or better a note in the "news and articles" thread in Fed's forum) ... and then it gives a pretext for trolling posts and conjectures of course

useless old guy

Last edited by duong; 12-06-2012 at 08:40 PM.
duong is offline  
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,940
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
my problem is not about Fed or not Fed : my problem is that I know that you're used to opening new threads like that when you see an article in the press with a seemingly sensational sentence like that but which is actually not a real news. It's something I've noted about you.

That's a problem for every player, and I especially mentioned that it has been a problem for Nadal in recent months that people opened threads like that.

Just like Heaven makes totally differently from you : has a lot of infos but never creates a new thread about them, just keeps writing on an existing thread ... (and at least once she should have done differently because it deserved a new thread ... and quite soon somebody actually created a new thread)

I think you should be able to realize when there are real news and not, because Fed has said that he thinks about playing until Rio 2016 in many interview answers before ... but still it's not at all certain that he can do it, that's what we will see (recently for instance I read that he said something like he thought he still had 2 years on top-level).

It was just a remark on your way of doing things because I think you could do it another way (and actually I had the impression that you were more cautious about your favorite Nadal and managed to post in already existing threads)

the problem about creating a new thread is that it gives the impression that there's something really new, and it's clearly not the case here, NY times or not (if the NY Times had a full long analysing article on it it might deserve a thread ... or better a note in the "news and articles" thread in Fed's forum)
Okay - sorry - point noted. Personally found it interesting as though he's said he wanted to play Rio 2016 before this seemed a bigger assessment of his long term plan for the next 4 years - the decision to skip Miami etc. Anyway it's not sensationalist in that it's not the first time he's said it but to me it's the first time I think he really believes it/actually is aiming for it rather than just putting off the press asking retirement questions.
Ash86 is offline  
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered User
 
JurajCrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,460
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

Duong is absolutely right, this is very old news and maybe there is thread about it already.

Do you expect Roger (currently in Brazil) to say : "I won´t play in Brazil 2016 ?". That would be much thread worthy.

Roger Federer - Martin Klizan - Lukas Lacko - Milos Raonic - Fernando Verdasco

Dustin Brown - Nick Kyrgios - Norbert Gombos - Stanislas Wawrinka - Dominic Thiem
JurajCrane is offline  
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered User
 
samanosuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 20,218
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

Don't believe what Fed is talking. It's easier to say something like that when you are still at the top of the game. Once when he starts falling in rankings he'll be thinking differently. He isn't the guy who would be satisfied with being average, at the end neither one great champion hasn't been

La Undécima
samanosuke is offline  
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered User
 
nole_no1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Romania
Age: 22
Posts: 18,525
                     
Re: Roger: "I want to play in Rio 2016"

What a surprise not

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Federer will be remembered for his lack of fitness in the latter stages of his career. I mean he won RG with visible manboobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooCooCachoo View Post
"I don't give a rat's ass whether I'm playing a big or a small tournament. I'm Matwé Middelkoop, I go on that court and it doesn't matter who I'm facing. [...] Whether it's a blue court in Australia or a clay court in Morocco, I don't care."
nole_no1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome