If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal... - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #286 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,070
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Maybe I was not polite, but you have not shown that any of my arguments were wrong.
Quote:
Maybe it's strange, but as I said above, you have not demonstrated that any of my arguments were incorrect.
I wasn't trying to show your 'argument' was incorrect; I was merely commenting on the way in which you have conducted yourself in this thread.

Your 'argument' is that you yourself do not have the knowledge to make a judgement on this issue, so have to rely on experts. And really no one can disagree with that, because no one has any special insight into your knowledge or mental state.

Quote:
I agree.
This was your original argument: "Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. Tennis expert is a person who is very knowledgeable about tennis. Therefore, Sampras is an tennis expert".

Now we have established that being a "tennis expert" does not make you "tennis predictor" and thus does not qualify you to "make accurate predictions about future tennis events". This means that in order to rely on Sampras to "make accurate predictions about future tennis events", proving that he has a high level practical understanding of tennis, is not sufficient.

You must also prove that he has "a good understanding of past statistical trends, and the ability to take into account unknown variables". You have not done this.
Singularity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #287 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 51,792
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Your argument is not based on fact but on your opinion that I am "giving impression...". Can you provide fact-based argument?
As you have yet to give us any facts in this discussion, you should not demand of others what you are unable to deliver yourself.
Litotes is offline  
post #288 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,672
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

I think he will. Roger is not as motivated to get #1 back as he was last year. He'd need to win 2 slams probably to do it, and that's a tough ask. If he doesn't it's dull
Honestly is offline  
post #289 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 14,325
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Given the new development of events and if Nadal keeps avoiding HC tournaments, it doesn't look like Nadal is going back to #1 anytime soon. Also I don't think Fed is going to overplay and chase the points everywhere, so Nole has pretty good chance of staying at #1 either until October or not far from it

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #290 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 473
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Given the new development of events and if Nadal keeps avoiding HC tournaments, it doesn't look like Nadal is going back to #1 anytime soon. Also I don't think Fed is going to overplay and chase the points everywhere, so Nole has pretty good chance of staying at #1 either until October or not far from it
I would agree. Nadal will likely never have number one again, Fed doesnt really care at this point now that he's broken the record, as evidenced by his reduced schedule for the year. He got that goal crossed off his list. Fed is all about winning some more slams at this point. He's not really worried about the rest.
grahampros is offline  
post #291 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Registered User
 
tnosugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Age: 39
Posts: 1,868
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

until he overtakes him in GS and Masters titles, this stat is not worth much. Weeks on top is a good tie breaker when there is a balance in major titles won.

The People Who Brought You the Annual "Going Out of Business" Sale

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline  
post #292 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 AM
Registered User
 
Fujee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,627
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

I reckon he will stay at number one til 2014, probably longer

Eufemiano Fuentes

“I worked with cyclists but also footballers, boxers, tennis players and athletes,”


For Posterity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
I honestly don't think Brown has much of a chance at all, think he might get a set at best though.
Fujee is offline  
post #293 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 AM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 14,325
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I'm not convinced Djoker can stay № 1 till October - he's not that good of a number one.

He's more of a computer number one type: consistent, but not dominant front runner type who amasses far more point relative to the one ranked below him.

However I do believe some time in 2014 (or later) he will catch up with Nadal.
If his ranking doesn't take a hit at AO, he's halfway there. Both Fed and Murray defend a lot during summer, Fed also defends a lot in spring - Dubai, IW and Madrid. If Nole is #1 after Miami, more-less he's good until autumn.

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #294 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Registered User
 
sunsfuns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 381
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
If his ranking doesn't take a hit at AO, he's halfway there. Both Fed and Murray defend a lot during summer, Fed also defends a lot in spring - Dubai, IW and Madrid. If Nole is #1 after Miami, more-less he's good until autumn.


Nole's got RG final and Wimbledon SF to defend. On the other hand short of a complete disaster at AO and Roger winning the title, he is safe until after Miami.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others
sunsfuns is offline  
post #295 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,425
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfuns View Post


Nole's got RG final and Wimbledon SF to defend. On the other hand short of a complete disaster at AO and Roger winning the title, he is safe until after Miami.
It's pretty unlikely Nole will take a big hit at RG or Wimbledon. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with identical results actually.
Abel is offline  
post #296 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 14,325
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfuns View Post


Nole's got RG final and Wimbledon SF to defend. On the other hand short of a complete disaster at AO and Roger winning the title, he is safe until after Miami.
It would be a big surprise if he doesn't make it to SF at least at both events, shouldn't lose any points there.

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #297 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,577
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

He will definitely overtake Nadal and Borg. McEnroe is a different story though.
SerialKillerToBe is offline  
post #298 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Registered User
 
BauerAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Age: 23
Posts: 5,307
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
He will definitely overtake Nadal and Borg. McEnroe is a different story though.
This.

Although Borg should have a lot more weeks at 1 and Connors a lot less. The ranking system was ridiculous back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Fuck you. This ain't no God damn hobby, motherfucker.
BauerAlmeida is online now  
post #299 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 51,792
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
This.

Although Borg should have a lot more weeks at 1 and Connors a lot less. The ranking system was ridiculous back then.
Definitely. The ATP knows how bad it was then and are quietly disowning it. Just try to find rankings released in the 70s or very early 80s now. The ATP will not help you. I know, I've been looking for these rankings for years.
Litotes is offline  
post #300 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 439
                     
Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
I wasn't trying to show your 'argument' was incorrect; I was merely commenting on the way in which you have conducted yourself in this thread.

Your 'argument' is that you yourself do not have the knowledge to make a judgement on this issue, so have to rely on experts. And really no one can disagree with that, because no one has any special insight into your knowledge or mental state.


This was your original argument: "Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. Tennis expert is a person who is very knowledgeable about tennis. Therefore, Sampras is an tennis expert".

Now we have established that being a "tennis expert" does not make you "tennis predictor" and thus does not qualify you to "make accurate predictions about future tennis events". This means that in order to rely on Sampras to "make accurate predictions about future tennis events", proving that he has a high level practical understanding of tennis, is not sufficient.

You must also prove that he has "a good understanding of past statistical trends, and the ability to take into account unknown variables". You have not done this.
I did not say that Sampras makes accurate predictions about future tennis events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
As you have yet to give us any facts in this discussion, you should not demand of others what you are unable to deliver yourself.
Not true. For example, my argument that Sampras is a tennis expert was based on fact that he was an top professional tennis player. I ask you again:

Can you provide fact-based argument to support your claim that I blindly follow Sampras?

Last edited by 5555; 01-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.
5555 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome