Is Murray better liked in America than Britain? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: What do you think, especially at the O2 Final?
It's normal for Fed to be cheered/Murray jeered, same would happen to Nadal/Djoko at home 8 25.00%
The English still don't give Murray credit, and might never do, even to the point of booing him 18 56.25%
Americans and Aussies are just generally more friendly, fair people 1 3.13%
I didn't watch the match/don't know/don't care 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 12,409
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Thing is I find booing fun but not when it's someone booing their own national hero.

For example the DC atmospheres like South America, Chileans throwing stuff at Zabaleta (who I liked) that was awesome. That's hostility. Come to our town and we'll give you the welcome you deserve etc.

But to boo your own, nah I'm out.
Completely agree. Booing is great, it adds more atmosphere. Don't like it when people boo their own player or team, though.
The Prince is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered User
 
MurrayMagic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 360
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
lettuce be realtea here Murray deserved the boos.

Hopefully they ban him next time he throws a tantrum on court.
over exaggerating every thing. You don't even have a valid point LOL No one deserves to get booed. I find it disrespectful and classless. especially if you are getting booed in your own country. its embarrassing and disgraceful

Andy Murray ---- 2 time grand slam champion. Your argument is invalid.
MurrayMagic1 is offline  
post #63 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered User
 
GOAT = Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,098
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMagic1 View Post
over exaggerating every thing. You don't even have a valid point LOL No one deserves to get booed. I find it disrespectful and classless. especially if you are getting booed in your own country. its embarrassing and disgraceful
Why can't he be booed in his own country, especially if the spectators take a strong disliking to his behaviour on court?

Just because he was born on the same piece of land as me doesn't mean I should give him my unwarranted support and accept his bad behaviour.

Nationalism not even once.
GOAT = Fed is offline  
post #64 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered User
 
MurrayMagic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 360
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
Why can't he be booed in his own country, especially if the spectators take a strong disliking to his behaviour on court?

Just because he was born on the same piece of land as me doesn't mean I should give him my unwarranted support and accept his bad behaviour.

Nationalism not even once.
its just pathetic and disrespectful, booing a player that's just won Britain's first GS in like 364527521 years. He didn't get the reception he deserved , end of. He merely tapped his racket off the ground then all of a sudden BOOOSS all round. His behavior wasn't even bad on Sunday. In fact lots of tennis fans exaggerate his behavior . I can think of many tennis players that have a much worse attitude than Andy's. At least Andy is humble, and respects his opponents

Andy Murray ---- 2 time grand slam champion. Your argument is invalid.
MurrayMagic1 is offline  
post #65 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 PM
country flag Tag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 3,262
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

he's liked in both, end of
Tag is offline  
post #66 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Banned!
 
heya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,580
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

The abusive Fedfanboys are damaged in their personal lives.
They are not true tennis fans.

Remember the US Open bitchfight in the stands? Old man got pelted by a thug.

How about the fan with her baby crying & whining in the hot stadium because her mommy didn't feed her with her booby? Probably a Fedfangirl.

The Fedfan dimwits with bulging eyes in Thailand and Halle were wonders to behold.
heya is offline  
post #67 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered User
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 36
Posts: 2,207
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMagic1 View Post
I don't understand why Murray is hated through out the world. It just makes no sense. The lack of respect and disgusting behaviour by people oh here and ppl through out the world is embarrassing. He is an human being, not the devil. He has done nothing wrong to deserve this hate and I for one am embarrassed to call myself British, You should be ashamed of yourself. He has brought nothing but determination, spirit and effort to this sport. The many times I have seem people say he is a mug, he should retire, he should do this do that is very demoralising and pathetic. and as a matter of fact the British are pompous gits when it comes to tennis. Their mentality is just all about glory hunting and and that crap. They don't respect the game as well as others do.
is it confirmed?

Supporting the Ballbasher Nation, some of our proud soldiers:
Juan Martin del Potro - Robin Soderling - Ernests Gulbis - Thomas Berdych - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Exiled: Janowicz
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline  
post #68 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered User
 
MurrayMagic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 360
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
is it confirmed?
Oh wow your so hilarious. .

Andy Murray ---- 2 time grand slam champion. Your argument is invalid.
MurrayMagic1 is offline  
post #69 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered User
 
MurrayMagic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 360
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
The abusive Fedfanboys are damaged in their personal lives.
They are not true tennis fans.

Remember the US Open bitchfight in the stands? Old man got pelted by a thug.

How about the fan with her baby crying & whining in the hot stadium because her mommy didn't feed her with her booby? Probably a Fedfangirl.

The Fedfan dimwits with bulging eyes in Thailand and Halle were wonders to behold.
THIS. Fed fans are so obnoxious and arrogant, just like the Fed himself

Andy Murray ---- 2 time grand slam champion. Your argument is invalid.
MurrayMagic1 is offline  
post #70 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Registered User
 
JanKowalski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Poland
Age: 35
Posts: 1,933
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMagic1 View Post
THIS. Fed fans are so obnoxious and arrogant, just like the Fed himself
Anyone agreeing with anything heya writes deserves a free ticket to a mental institute.
JanKowalski is offline  
post #71 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered User
 
MurrayMagic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 360
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
Anyone agreeing with anything heya writes deserves a free ticket to a mental institute.
HA !

Andy Murray ---- 2 time grand slam champion. Your argument is invalid.
MurrayMagic1 is offline  
post #72 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered User
 
Xenosys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 33
Posts: 1,112
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
No one is disputing here if federer was more cheered on (which is typical) but that they booed him at home. See the difference?
It's disputable whether the section of the crowd that boo'ed him were even British & Andy Murray supporters, who knows, I remember seeing a lot of Swiss flags. He was roundly boo'ed because sections of the crowd thought he was wasting time by changing racquets before the start of a point, not realising he'd broken it the point before. I know the Brits are a strong advocate when it comes to fair play, so it's likely they jumped to conclusions and got the wrong end of the stick.

In the context of the match as a whole, Federer is a key ingredient in this discussion. Put someone else (i.e Novak) at the other side of the net, and the applause and encouragement is generally louder between points.

I shouldn't be complaining. The Olympics & Davis Cup aside, Tennis is an individual sport and allegiances to ones country should be an after-thought when it comes to the support of any particular player. The fans pay their money and are entitled to express their opinion.
Xenosys is offline  
post #73 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nirvana
Posts: 7,266
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
lol u jelly brah? You jelly that the English are the most educated tennis crowd in the world? You jelly the English invented the game of tennis?
Technically the French Royal family and nobles invented tennis. It was known as jeu de pommes. The game may have existed in some form in other parts of the world but us Brits, like with Football, were the first to create the original official rules, tournaments, national teams and lay the ground work for the international competing sports scene.

I.E. Oldest football stadium (Wembley), oldest tennis tournament(Wimbledon), oldest golf venue, oldest cricket ground (Lords) etc. I am not sure about Twickenham for Rugby and Silverstone in regards to motor racing I am sure that these venues are among the oldest as well.


Did you know that of the 10 most popular sports in the world, 7 were "started" here. The other 3 I am guessing are Basketball, American football and baseball.

There an only be One Nadal
Quote:
Nadal, Roddick, Tsonga, Del Potro & Safin
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline  
post #74 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Registered User
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 29
Posts: 394
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Most people i know in here in England like Federer more than Murray. Personally i'm not a fan of Murrays tennis. As a man, he can be very witty and amusing. His on court antics are what makes me dislike him most.

As for the 'because he is scottish' thing...There is a general feeling of dislike for everything Scottish in England. I am sure the Feeling is mutual north of the border. There lies the problem, it's a catch 22, the more you hate me, the more i hate you and so on. It also doesn't help that atleast half of Scotland want to be independant from the U.K. because that is causing further resentment.

p.s. im a big fan of Drew Mcintyre in the WWE, so im not anti-scottish, atleast not completely

Congratulations to the 2015 ACC champion

HICCO


Vamos Rafa
Dolph Ziggler is offline  
post #75 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Registered User
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 29
Posts: 394
                     
Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adam View Post
Technically the French Royal family and nobles invented tennis. It was known as jeu de pommes. The game may have existed in some form in other parts of the world but us Brits, like with Football, were the first to create the original official rules, tournaments, national teams and lay the ground work for the international competing sports scene.

I.E. Oldest football stadium (Wembley), oldest tennis tournament(Wimbledon), oldest golf venue, oldest cricket ground (Lords) etc. I am not sure about Twickenham for Rugby and Silverstone in regards to motor racing I am sure that these venues are among the oldest as well.


Did you know that of the 10 most popular sports in the world, 7 were "started" here. The other 3 I am guessing are Basketball, American football and baseball.


Those sports are also very similar to existing British sports: Cricket/rounders, Rugby and Netball.

Congratulations to the 2015 ACC champion

HICCO


Vamos Rafa
Dolph Ziggler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome