Wouldn't it be great to have a tournament where
- there are no draws, thus completely eliminating the element of luck.
- the top players have to play every other top player, rather than just the player who has landed in his group.
e.g Currently Nadal/Federer are not guaranteed to play against Djokovic/Murray, and vice-versa.
Thus here is what I propose,
- Reduce the number of players that qualify for WTF to 6 (rather than 8)
- For these 6 players, there would be no draws. Each player has to play all 5 other players.
- Then the top 4 winners get to play semifinals (1/4 and 2/3) and then finals.
Thus the winner/finalist would have to play a total of 7 matches (similar to a slam)
The main advantages would be
- there would be no luck or chance as draws are eliminated
- we would get to see guaranteed blockbuster matches irrespective of who reaches the semis or finals
The new format would be about "all top players competing against each other".
The current format is about "top players competing with some of the other top players, and then might or might not compete with other top players"
WTF is supposed to be the playoffs. Not the "regular elite season"
In most sports the season is for all the everyone plays everyone randomness. Nadal vs Djokovic has played 6 times for example. Them having a guaranteed meeting in the WTF means nothing. Also as another poster said 6 participants is to few. Semi and Final from a crop of only 6 players? so you suggest playing all these matches just to sort 2 players away? pointless
Expand WTF to 16 players. #1-8 is special because they pick their R1 opponent
#1 picks his opponent first (can only pick among 9-16), then #2 picks, #3 and so on
That sets the first rounds.
All matches are played best of 5 sets.
Winner and finalist will only have played 4 matches over best of 5 sets. Could easily have a resting day between matches.
Drawback of this suggestion is that it doesn't guarantee that the #1-4 play at least 3 matches. They could crash and burn in the first match. But that's how playoffs should work. You have to be at your best every match and every match is do or die.