Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation) - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com
 10Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Seriously people, if analysing personality is your thang, try literature or having friends.
what you say here applies to fans who talk too much in your opinion of psychology like me, but not to haters : hating is not an easy thing to apply in the real world, much easier on the web.

useless old guy
duong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Registered User
 
barbadosan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: I hear my Bimshire calling . . .
Age: 67
Posts: 9,688
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
My sentiments exactly.

Seriously people, if analysing personality is your thang, try literature or having friends.



"When I'm asked, how is it to be around Federer, and what is he really like, I always reply, "I wish people could meet him when cameras or an audience aren't around, as he is one of the nicest people I have ever met when stringing on tour. " -- drakulie
barbadosan is offline  
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 37
Posts: 1,233
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Why don't YOU quote it all?

"The real number one, we know who that is going to be, it's going to be Novak, so I think there should not be any debate around that," Federer told reporters. "Number one, you don't get there by chance. The rankings are something that show you how you've played over a 365-day period. It might change all over again at the Australian Open, there’s no doubt about that, but right now, it's clear."

Right now, Djokovic is the clear number one.

Nowhere did Federer say that he deserves number 1 no matter what. He'll be the deserving no.1 if he gets the results to back it up.
No , it's not clear at all. He barely even say it directly. Besides I wouldn't trust his judgement about it and reading his thoughts because he is always putting on an act . Djokovic never said in summer, wait until 2 month . Nadal coming back from injury never said wait until I play more to see who is number 1. He tries to be very objective and treating people like kids by explaining what the rankings is and then says "no doubt" it will change. If anything, it's intelectually insulting.
munZe konZa is offline  
post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,588
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Now he's got a tatse of BOTH money and power.

I think the remaining Big 4 are staying out of this and let Fed spend time and energy out of court. He doesn't have enough practice time it seems.
Rafa handled the situation in a very immature way, IMO. Novak seems like a good candidate to follow in Fed's footsteps. He seems to be a future politician.

Go Fed; may be he'll become a Commish.
swebright is offline  
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Banned!
 
heya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,580
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
The public persona is what I meant by a mixture of marketing and media. That's all we get to see and of course it's designed to portray players as larger than life personalities. Or rather, the top players. The lower-ranked players have worked just as hard for their careers but who cares? My point is that we see in players what we want to see in them. But that doesn't make them higher (or lower) human beings.



I think fans (as well as haters) like to believe that they know what a player is really like. And nowadays, thanks to the internet, you can endlessly rewatch and discuss all the little details that seem to give it away. You can analyse and dissect every word, every gesture, every handshake at the net, everything that players (publicly) do outside of tennis - and then regard it as proof for what you've known all along.
I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing what you want to see in a player. I just think it's good to be aware of it and to not take these things too seriously. And I agree with you about the haters, I can't seem to understand it, myself.
Fed can't be better or worse as a human being? In the next paragraph, you say you can't understand why his personality is a topic to lovers and haters?
You already judge everyone who says painful things including facts about darling Fed.
After years of hype about how lovely & fabulous a player was, most people aren't too stupid to pretend a sneaky, extremely nasty, sore loser is a role model player that they expected.
Just like other entertainers, if someone is disrespectful & acts like they are entitled to special treatment despite doing ordinary things like other people, don't expect convenient ignorance from the public. It doesn't matter if fans are involved.

I watch my fave players, but during matches, I don't need to hear 4999 times from the insecure commentators & media propaganda that Federer is classier to everyone, nice like Edberg, etc. just because he beat clowns from 8 years ago in every match.
heya is offline  
post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered User
 
Joolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In this twilight
Posts: 785
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
Fed can't be better or worse as a human being? In the next paragraph, you say you can't understand why his personality is a topic to lovers and haters?
You already judge everyone who says painful things including facts about darling Fed.
After years of hype about how lovely & fabulous a player was, most people aren't too stupid to pretend a sneaky, extremely nasty, sore loser is a role model player that they expected.
Just like other entertainers, if someone is disrespectful & acts like they are entitled to special treatment despite doing ordinary things like other people, don't expect convenient ignorance from the public. It doesn't matter if fans are involved.

I watch my fave players, but during matches, I don't need to hear 4999 times from the insecure commentators & media propaganda that Federer is classier to everyone, nice like Edberg, etc. just because he beat clowns from 8 years ago in every match.
I can't understand why some people love to hate tennis players. Not just Fed - any player. I can't understand what people get out of it.

How you see Fed, how I see him, or how his fans see him, those are personal opinions and interpretations based on his public image. We can't judge his actual personality because all we know is his public image.
Whether you admire or despise it, well, that's your choice and your opinion. But I don't think these things should be treated like facts or like matters of life and death. After all, it's just tennis.
Joolz is offline  
post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 44
Posts: 58,193
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
I can't understand why some people love to hate tennis players. Not just Fed - any player. I can't understand what people get out of it.

How you see Fed, how I see him, or how his fans see him, those are personal opinions and interpretations based on his public image. We can't judge his actual personality because all we know is his public image.
Whether you admire or despise it, well, that's your choice and your opinion. But I don't think these things should be treated like facts or like matters of life and death. After all, it's just tennis.
It's the football approach, I guess. Love Liverpool and hate Manchester United - or vice versa. Love Barcelona and hate Real Madrid - or vice versa. You seldom see the most engaged fans liking both. Plenty of hate going on there. Probably not that surprising it spreads to individual sport, with some deciding not only who their favourite is, but also their arch-enemy.
Litotes is offline  
post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,104
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
No , it's not clear at all. He barely even say it directly. Besides I wouldn't trust his judgement about it and reading his thoughts because he is always putting on an act . Djokovic never said in summer, wait until 2 month . Nadal coming back from injury never said wait until I play more to see who is number 1. He tries to be very objective and treating people like kids by explaining what the rankings is and then says "no doubt" it will change. If anything, it's intelectually insulting.
Federer said that right now it is clear who is number 1, and that there should be no debate about that.

He did not say we need to wait until 2 months to see who is the real number 1. He said that in two months there might be another number 1, but for now Djokovic is the real number 1.

Quote:
He tries to be very objective and treating people like kids by explaining what the rankings is and then says "no doubt" it will change. If anything, it's intelectually insulting.
He said that there is no doubt that it could change. He did not say that it will change.
Singularity is offline  
post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User
 
Aloevera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the state of euphoria
Posts: 455
                     
Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
I can't understand why some people love to hate tennis players. Not just Fed - any player. I can't understand what people get out of it.

How you see Fed, how I see him, or how his fans see him, those are personal opinions and interpretations based on his public image. We can't judge his actual personality because all we know is his public image.
Whether you admire or despise it, well, that's your choice and your opinion. But I don't think these things should be treated like facts or like matters of life and death. After all, it's just tennis.
Blame the immature fans, and the media.
Aloevera is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome