Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling? - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?
Yes and he will decline from now on and may lose his #5 ranking 9 20.45%
Yes, but he will stay #5 throughout the next year. 16 36.36%
No, he can be a contender for #3 or at least for 5+ titles/another MS1000 8 18.18%
Mark Lenders steps on his ankle thus keeping him away from ATP tourneys. 8 18.18%
ATP changes ranking system to save tennis from vultures. 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Dr Mug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 159
                     
Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

After the best year of his career, the very exciting question arising, whether he has now reached his ceiling or whether he can improve further in terms of his game, but also ranking.

What he probably cannot improve:

- determination: he is already working so hard, it seems unlikely that he can work even harder in the off season. Maybe this season gives him extra motivation.

- scheduling: Having been called a vulture so often on this forum, he also deserves credits for his clever scheduling. By maximising clay tournaments he was able to snatch so many titles this year. I don't see anything he can improve here.


So where do you see him in 2013? Can he become a contender for #3 or will he decline from now on?

Like: Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Ferrer, Del Potro, Raonic, Haas, Davydenko, Janowicz, Nalbandian, Monfils, Rosol

Dislike: Berdshit, Mugrin Cilic, Simug,
Dr Mug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 12,638
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mug View Post
- scheduling: Having been called a vulture so often on this forum, he also deserves credits for his clever scheduling. By maximising clay tournaments he was able to snatch so many titles this year. I don't see anything he can improve here.
Yeah, Ferrer surely cares about this. He loses sleep at nights thinking at all the fair posters around here calling him a vulture.

He can improve definitely. But will he? That's a totally different question.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,145
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

No, his decisive annihilation of the super strong Bercy field was just the start, a sign of things to come. Ferrer has shown that not even the toughest draws are enough to faze him. Expect some Slams and the #1 ranking in the coming years.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered User
 
pusher for life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 952
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

There is no peak for Vulture. There's never been anyway.

All those years, it was just the same thing. Out-of-form and injured players + luck = his career.

What's he gonna do next year ? It all depends on his opponents and his luck.

Devotee for Life !!

1) I feel you 2) Walking in my shoes 3) Things you said 4) Halo 5) In your room
pusher for life is offline  
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,455
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

He will complete a CYGS next year.
Abel is offline  
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User
 
Blue Heart24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Croatia
Posts: 31,650
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

I do think this year is his peak,but I hope he'll stay in the top 5-10 for a couple of more years,maybe snatch another Masters and surprise the top 4 now and then,unlikely in Slams but in other events,certainly a good chance on clay for that.And gotta beat Federer for once
Blue Heart24 is offline  
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Registered User
 
August's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 5,471
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

I think Ferrer has played most of this season on his peak level and I don't know how much better a season he could anymore have. If we look at this season, there wasn't many matches where he underperfomed. He could've beaten Rafa in Barcelona F and Rome SF, and maybe Murray in Wimby QF, where he could've then get even to final.

But where are his limits? In slams, SFs and QFs are his normal level, maybe earlier rounds in Wimbledon. A slam final? Possible but needs a wonder to avoid Fed/Nole/Rafa in QF and SF. Wimby this year was maybe his best chance for a slam final, Murray in QF and Tsonga in SF were players he could have beaten. Well what about a slam title? That should be a crazy slam. It should be something like this; Rafa can't play RG and in SF Ferru beats DelPo, who beat Nole in QF. And in final he'd beat Berdych who beat Federer in his SF. Not unrealistic but veeery unlikely.

But how well can he do in the Masters Series? For sure he'll reach semis in TMSs, but to get into final, it should almost be a weak TMS, like Monte Carlo, Shanghai, and Paris often are. What about winning another TMS title? As long as he avoids Fed/Nole/Rafa in final, he can do it.

And how well can he do in WTF? On proper, fast, indoor court, all WTF players have a chance to beat him. And on slow HC, he can well get to semis. But if others don't play their best tennis, he can even win WTF, even on fast indoor HC, he has already one WTF final. But to win WTF, he should avoid Fed/Nole in the final, Rafa as a weak indoor player could be enough vulnerable so that Ferru could beat him.

But in general, how much can Ferrer still achieve? My answer is as much as one can achieve without facing a player of Fed's, Nole's, or Rafa's calibre. And Murray isn't one of those players, Ferrer can beat Murray, like we saw at RG.

Another thing is how many years Ferrer has left on this level. He's 30 now, so I'd say 2 or 3 at maximum. And this season was so good for him that I think this will remain as his best season ever. That's why I'd love him to win WTF to get his career-best year-end ranking of #4.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion | 2015 French Open Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion

My Twitter
August is offline  
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Registered User
 
Sophitia36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

I don't know, honestly. I think he can still improve, he has improved his game immensely in the past few years. But will it be enough to ever win a Slam? I'm not sure.

The problem is, Murray seems to be improving too, he got his confidence boost with his first Slam... And the other guys, they're just really really good.

It will be interesting to see how he performs at the WTF against the various top players. That is, provided he does not underperform dramatically after winning two tournaments and having just one day to rest.
Sophitia36 is offline  
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered User
 
CescAndyKimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 1,665
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I think Ferrer has played most of this season on his peak level and I don't know how much better a season he could anymore have. If we look at this season, there wasn't many matches where he underperfomed. He could've beaten Rafa in Barcelona F and Rome SF, and maybe Murray in Wimby QF, where he could've then get even to final.

But where are his limits? In slams, SFs and QFs are his normal level, maybe earlier rounds in Wimbledon. A slam final? Possible but needs a wonder to avoid Fed/Nole/Rafa in QF and SF. Wimby this year was maybe his best chance for a slam final, Murray in QF and Tsonga in SF were players he could have beaten. Well what about a slam title? That should be a crazy slam. It should be something like this; Rafa can't play RG and in SF Ferru beats DelPo, who beat Nole in QF. And in final he'd beat Berdych who beat Federer in his SF. Not unrealistic but veeery unlikely.

But how well can he do in the Masters Series? For sure he'll reach semis in TMSs, but to get into final, it should almost be a weak TMS, like Monte Carlo, Shanghai, and Paris often are. What about winning another TMS title? As long as he avoids Fed/Nole/Rafa in final, he can do it.

And how well can he do in WTF? On proper, fast, indoor court, all WTF players have a chance to beat him. And on slow HC, he can well get to semis. But if others don't play their best tennis, he can even win WTF, even on fast indoor HC, he has already one WTF final. But to win WTF, he should avoid Fed/Nole in the final, Rafa as a weak indoor player could be enough vulnerable so that Ferru could beat him.

But in general, how much can Ferrer still achieve? My answer is as much as one can achieve without facing a player of Fed's, Nole's, or Rafa's calibre. And Murray isn't one of those players, Ferrer can beat Murray, like we saw at RG.

Another thing is how many years Ferrer has left on this level. He's 30 now, so I'd say 2 or 3 at maximum. And this season was so good for him that I think this will remain as his best season ever. That's why I'd love him to win WTF to get his career-best year-end ranking of #4.


The only place Ferrer has any sort of advantage over Murray is clay. And tbh, I don't see that lasting much longer.

On every other surface Murray will bitchslap him.

Look at all their head to head except clay. Their last 11 matches, Andy has spanked him 6 times.

Ferrer has won 5 times.. 4 of those on clay.

Their most recent meetings 2011/2012, of the 6 matches, Andy has won 4 times.

Conclusively, the only hope Ferrer has is that he plays Murray on clay, any other surface and he will most likely lose.

Now skewer the stats and compare Ferrer to Djokovic, they have only met on clay 4 times. And Ferrer has taken 3 matches.

I think it's obvious he's a clay specialist, which is why he schedules most his matches on clay.

The only players of the top 4 that Ferrer doesn't have a good match up against is Rafa and Roger...And that is pretty self explanatory.

In other words, Ferrer's best chance to do anything significant in a grandslam is the FO... And unless Roger/Rafa combust, he's not winning any slams anytime soon.

That's what happens when you're an all clay mug like Almugro.

Andy Murray
--
Novak Djokovic
--
Jo Tsonga
--
CescAndyKimi is offline  
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 14,102
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

Considering he is average height unless he has lowered his roof or grown massively I doubt it.

On Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Murray wins Wimbledon 2016 after Djokovic is blue shelled by Querrey. Thanks Querrey!

TigerTim is offline  
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Registered User
 
EddieNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 51
Posts: 3,553
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

Mug era is played mostly outdoors so no.
EddieNero is offline  
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 27
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CescAndyKimi View Post
I think it's obvious he's a clay specialist, which is why he schedules most his matches on clay.
Clay specialist whose first slam semifinals were on hard courts

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

I will never understand the hatred of Ferrer. It defies sense.

I can only assume it's from Berdych and Tsonga fans who are so unbelievably upset at the fact that a man with seemingly less talent has managed to have a much better career.
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered User
 
DJ Soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,049
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

See Ferru take the AO title and then fade into oblivion
DJ Soup is offline  
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Splash Fam
 
Nole Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 24
Posts: 11,890
                     
Re: Has David Ferrer reached his ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
I will never understand the hatred of Ferrer. It defies sense.

I can only assume it's from Berdych and Tsonga fans who are so unbelievably upset at the fact that a man with seemingly less talent has managed to have a much better career.
Much better career my ass. They are about even.
Nole Rules is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome