Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Registered User
 
Dr. Albans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 105
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Ferrer
5. Berdych
6. Federer
7. Del Potro
8. Tipsarevic
9. Monaco
10.Tsonga

Verdasco-Federer-Andujar-Fognini-Davydenko-Tsonga-Tursunov-Dimitrov
Dr. Albans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 AM
country flag Tag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 3,262
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
Seppi has a better return than all of these mugs.
not quite as good as karlovic's, mind
Tag is offline  
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
He has a better return than Djokovic, that isn't tardism, that's the truth.

Nole's return is excellent but people are blinded and think that punishing Nadal's crappy second serve makes his return God-like.

Andy dismantles big serves better than Novak and the best returner should always be the one who returns the big serves better, not some mediocre server who just happens to be one of the greats cause of his other attributes.
And yet Mandy can't return Nadal's serve at all, much less "punish" it.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 AM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,137
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
And yet Mandy can't return Nadal's serve at all.
He killed it in their last encounter in Tokyo- return winners were flying off his racket in the last couple of sets.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
He killed it in their last encounter in Tokyo- return winners were flying off his racket in the last couple of sets.
That's just one match.

Djokovic breaks Nadal at will. Mandy struggles to break Nadal's serve in general, that's one of the reasons he has pathetic H2H against him.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 AM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,137
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
That's just one match.

Djokovic breaks Nadal at will. Mandy struggles to break Nadal's serve in general, that's one of the reasons he has pathetic H2H against him.
The main reason for that is cause of his much weaker FH than Djokovic in rallies, it allows Nadal to get a foothold when he attacks that side.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 820
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

1. Murray
2. Djokovic
3. Ferrer
4. Monaco
5. Federer
6. Berdych
7. Tipsaervic
8. Nadal
9. del Potro
10. Tsonga

Andy Murray

Gilles Simon - Juan Martin del Potro - Grigor Dimitrov

Pablo Andujar - Philipp Petzschner - David Ferrer - Mikhail Youzhny - Simone Bolelli

Julien Benneteau - Juan Monaco - Tommy Haas - Gianluigi Quinzi - Tommy Robredo - Guido Pella - Lleyton Hewitt
FleetSeb is offline  
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered User
 
DjokerFan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 915
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

1 Djokovic
2 Murray
3 Ferrer

4-10 The rest

Djokovic, Federer, Tsonga, Del Potro, Wawrinka, Thiem, Nishikori, Raonic

Congrats Djokovic on winning 2016 French Open and becoming the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win 4 consecutive majors!
DjokerFan3 is offline  
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Registered User
 
retister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 40
Posts: 2,469
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

1 Murray
2 Djokovic
3 Ferrer

4-10 The rest
Just what Murray did to Federer's serve in Shanghai is enough to give him the edge here. Also,
his ROS is more reliable overall than Novak's, and much more efficient against big servers.

While Montenegro was part of Yugoslavia, its internet domain was .yu, now it is .me
retister is offline  
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,120
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

I don't think stats are telling the whole story but it's interesting nonetheless :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...wn-League.aspx

Rafa stats are obviously inflated cause he didn't play the 2nd half of the season.Overall, Nole is ahead of Andy (despite playing 15 more matches)
homogenius is offline  
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered User
 
dencod16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,768
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Djokovic
Murray
Ferrer
Monaco - lol at other placing the likes of Tipsarevic, Tsonga and Federer over him on return, he wins most of his points on return
Nadal
Berdych
del Potro
Tipsarevic
Federer
Tsonga
dencod16 is offline  
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered User
 
dencod16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,768
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
Seppi has a better return than all of these mugs.
And Women serves better than him.
dencod16 is offline  
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,991
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

1. Murray - has taken over Fed's mantle as being the best at getting back big serves, and he can punish 2nd serves too. Look at how he handled Federer recently.
2. Djokovic - better than Murray at punishing weaker serves, not as good at getting back bombs. Top 2 are very close though and probably interchangeable.
3. Ferrer - gets back all but the best-placed serves. Rock solid, but less spectacular than the top 2.
4. Del Potro - rather underrated here. Great reach, gets lots of serves back, often with interest.
5. Nadal - not aggressive but gets a huge percentage of balls back to start the rally in a more or less neutral position. As his serve does, Nadal's return works beautifully bringing his weapons into play.
6. Monaco - similar to Ferrer: solid but unspectacular.
7. Berdych - great against Federer, inconsistent against everybody else. Can be brilliant, can suck.
8. Tipsarevic - not bad. Bit up & down. Better at aggressive than neutralizing returns.
9. Federer - part of his game that has drastically declined. Though not bad, he was never the best at punishing 2nd serves & is now one of the worst of the top players (signature shot: sliced return into the bottom of the net), but he was brilliant at getting big serves back deep and neutral. No longer, except in occasional matches when his whole game is clicking.
10. Tsonga - along with his backhand, his biggest weakness, except (as with Federer) when he is on a hot streak and everything's clicking. By & large though, he is hopeless against big servers & horribly inconsistent against shit ones.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Registered User
 
BauerAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Age: 24
Posts: 5,579
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Considering their peak

1-Djokovic
2-Federer
3-Murray
4-Ferrer
5-Monaco
6-Nadal
7-Delpo
8-Berdych
9-Tipsa
10-Tsonga
BauerAlmeida is offline  
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Registered User
 
Federerhingis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC
Age: 33
Posts: 15,172
                     
Re: Rank the ROS of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by retister View Post
1 Murray
2 Djokovic
3 Ferrer

4-10 The rest
Just what Murray did to Federer's serve in Shanghai is enough to give him the edge here. Also,
his ROS is more reliable overall than Novak's, and much more efficient against big servers.
Agree that this is the most simple assessment of return of serve in the top ten. Nadal's ROS is underrated because his getting so many serves back can frustrate and does frustrate many of his opponents, and has worked for him rather effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
1. Murray - has taken over Fed's mantle as being the best at getting back big serves, and he can punish 2nd serves too. Look at how he handled Federer recently.
2. Djokovic - better than Murray at punishing weaker serves, not as good at getting back bombs. Top 2 are very close though and probably interchangeable.
3. Ferrer - gets back all but the best-placed serves. Rock solid, but less spectacular than the top 2.
4. Del Potro - rather underrated here. Great reach, gets lots of serves back, often with interest.
5. Nadal - not aggressive but gets a huge percentage of balls back to start the rally in a more or less neutral position. As his serve does, Nadal's return works beautifully bringing his weapons into play.
6. Monaco - similar to Ferrer: solid but unspectacular.
7. Berdych - great against Federer, inconsistent against everybody else. Can be brilliant, can suck.
8. Tipsarevic - not bad. Bit up & down. Better at aggressive than neutralizing returns.
9. Federer - part of his game that has drastically declined. Though not bad, he was never the best at punishing 2nd serves & is now one of the worst of the top players (signature shot: sliced return into the bottom of the net), but he was brilliant at getting big serves back deep and neutral. No longer, except in occasional matches when his whole game is clicking.
10. Tsonga - along with his backhand, his biggest weakness, except (as with Federer) when he is on a hot streak and everything's clicking. By & large though, he is hopeless against big servers & horribly inconsistent against shit ones.
Very succinct assessment, after Ferrer the returns of serve become rather average. DelPo's ROS can be spotty, especially against big servers. Nadal and Juan's ROS can be interchangeable, neither great, neither pathetic at return of serve, Nadal is more consistent however, but can get into trouble on faster surfaces. Even at his best Roger's ROS was only top 5 top6. He did have a great ability to frustrate big servers by neutralizing the ROS deep into the middle, Roddick for example, Roger used to read serves so well, especially Roddick's which emphasized the mismatch match-up.

Do not accuse a man for no reason—
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"


So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome