Rainer Schüttler announced retirement - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Dr. Frankenfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 31
Posts: 1,056
                     
Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Rainer Schüttler announced his retirement in an interview with a leading german newspaper.
Some noteworthy points from this interview:

- He bought former World Team Cup, together with Ion Tiriac. They plan to do a 250 tourney (no blue clay).

- He has met his girlfriend at Janko Tipsarevic's wedding. She is Biljana's sister.
Dr. Frankenfed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 27
Posts: 42,272
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Great player, made top 5 in the world in 2004

Was at the YEC in 03 as well. I always respected his play.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,434
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Bad for the game

He was a very good player who played great tennis to reach his maiden Slam final, and during the entire year of 2003 really, including the TMC. Also some other great performance over the years, namely Wimbledon 2008.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Registered User
 
Federer in 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,774
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Bad for the game
With all due respect, even though some people will miss him, this has no influence on the game.


ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe*

*Not anymore...

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
Federer in 2 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,125
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Epic lengthy career. I saw him play Stuttgart in 1999 or 2000, and he was mid 20s even then :-)
philosophicalarf is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Another 2003 legend retires. All of them in 2012.
Jimnik is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,136
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Counter-puncher but a ballsy one and played some very good tennis at times but was prone to being outplayed a lot which is why he didn't consistently stay there.

His AO run was a rough draw albeit made easier by Safin's pullout- Safin, Blake, Nalbandian and Roddick were all overcame before he was outhit by Agassi. Also made the TMC that year and then had his next big week in MC 2004 when he knocked out a couple of strong clay courters before again being well beaten by Coria in the final. Then not a lot till 2008 when he reached the SF at Wimby and gave Nadal a decent match given his lack of overall firepower.

He maximised what he had. Far from the worst top 10 guy.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,270
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Schuettler was good in that AO 2003 but for me he would not have be played in that final without a gassed Roddick. 2003 seems like Roddick's best (lost) chance of an AO title. Rainer was good and he had a stellar season which should have secured him a nice living standard but his game never excited me.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Great player, made top 5 in the world in 2004

Was at the YEC in 03 as well. I always respected his play.
I lol'd.

Shittler is another relic of the mug era of early 2000's. Nothing about his game that stands out. Drugassi sure had tough path to his slams by beating clowns like him in finals
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Drugassi sure had tough path to his slams by beating clowns like him in finals
Your precious Nadull played him when he was 32 to reach the Wimby finals

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Your precious Nadull played him when he was 32 to reach the Wimby finals
I thought "Nadull" is a moonballing mug who doesn't deserve a single slam He is a fluke and a disgrace to sport who only won so much because of his mafia connections and illegal racquet technology which was given to him by aliens.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
I thought "Nadull" is a moonballing mug who doesn't deserve a single slam He is a fluke and a disgrace to sport who only won so much because of his mafia connections and illegal racquet technology which was given to him by aliens.
Now you got it!

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,434
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
With all due respect, even though some people will miss him, this has no influence on the game.
He might not compete for big titles, but it's always bad for the game and its fans when a great player retires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Counter-puncher but a ballsy one and played some very good tennis at times but was prone to being outplayed a lot which is why he didn't consistently stay there.

His AO run was a rough draw albeit made easier by Safin's pullout- Safin, Blake, Nalbandian and Roddick were all overcame before he was outhit by Agassi. Also made the TMC that year and then had his next big week in MC 2004 when he knocked out a couple of strong clay courters before again being well beaten by Coria in the final. Then not a lot till 2008 when he reached the SF at Wimby and gave Nadal a decent match given his lack of overall firepower.

He maximised what he had. Far from the worst top 10 guy.
Agree with this.

The bolded bit goes without saying though. He reached a Slam final (beating great players en route to it) and was ranked as high as #5, of course he's not even among the worst top 10 players, that shouldn't even be mentioned. He also played great in his only TMC participation, was so close to making the final. Great player for sure.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Never one of my favourites, but nice career he had, now my best wishes for an even good post-tennis career for him ahead.

"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 33,360
                     
Re: Rainer Schüttler announced retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
Rainer Schüttler announced his retirement in an interview with a leading german newspaper.
Some noteworthy points from this interview:

- He bought former World Team Cup, together with Ion Tiriac. They plan to do a 250 tourney (no blue clay).

- He has met his girlfriend at Janko Tipsarevic's wedding. She is Biljana's sister.
saw her at the open........hot stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBrian View Post
Dulko will have her chances tonight...nice payout it was too at +375...thanks Dulko...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBrian View Post
dont you people love my +375 dogs???
2010 MTF MISS Nole fan
betowiec is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome