Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM
country flag Tag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 3,262
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post


Don't forget Raonic falling to is death stare in Miami along with Nadal
raonic crumbled under the implied torture which would follow the match if he dared to win

nadal should've called on toni to make it rain. lendl would have prevailed though. too intense

federer quaking in his boots at the thought of shanghai
Tag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered User
 
IOFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 3,610
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
What? Nole despicably played a mandatory Masters 1000 tournament?What an evil vulture, clearly doing his best to abuse the ranking system

Of course, he either should've withdrawn beforehand citing an injury or during the tournament. Instead he vultured through the tournament fielding much, much weaker field than Dubai and also weaker than Rotterdam. So, as I've concluded if you take Dubai off (with both "vulturing there" No2e has been getting more "vulture" points than Federer this year.

I never said it made sense, I just followed you line of thinking. I rarely look for reason in MTF posters and you're no exception.

Educating MTF clowns one post at a time.
So many fanboys to troll, so little time.

Favourite tennis matches: 2011 US Open Final & 2012 Australian Open Final, starring Novak Djokovic & Rafael Nadal, showing us just how far science can take humanity.

The US Open Final was especially enjoyable, with 'Why are there white spots all over my body?' Djokovic and 'Why am I sweating boils?' Nadal embarked on a titanic battle, concluding with the inferior player, Nadal, entering a sort of delirious state of psychosis. This allowed him to, while showing very little fatigue, consume inhuman amounts of energy, before he literally ran his legs from underneath him. This is truly the stuff dreams are made of.
IOFH is offline  
post #153 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 54,953
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
What? Nole despicably played a mandatory Masters 1000 tournament?What an evil vulture, clearly doing his best to abuse the ranking system
ATP 500s are mandatory too, you know. Not individually but collectively. You "have to" play four.
Litotes is offline  
post #154 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
 
duarte_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11,074
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
ATP 500s are mandatory too, you know. Not individually but collectively. You "have to" play four.
Owned!!!

duarte_a is offline  
post #155 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 16,958
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
Of course, he either should've withdrawn beforehand citing an injury or during the tournament. Instead he vultured through the tournament fielding much, much weaker field than Dubai and also weaker than Rotterdam. So, as I've concluded if you take Dubai off (with both "vulturing there" No2e has been getting more "vulture" points than Federer this year.

I never said it made sense, I just followed you line of thinking. I rarely look for reason in MTF posters and you're no exception.
You're definitely not making sense, that's for sure. He can't be blamed if the other top players were tired/injured or lost early in a mandatory tournament. My line of thinking would not even consider vulturing as far as mandatory events are concerned, so it's definitely not my line of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
ATP 500s are mandatory too, you know. Not individually but collectively. You "have to" play four.
You can choose which four to play though, and you can also choose not to play any. Of course you can also choose not to play any M1000 events or GS tournaments, but I'm pretty sure you know the difference
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #156 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 54,953
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
You can choose which four to play though, and you can also choose not to play any. Of course you can also choose not to play any M1000 events or GS tournaments, but I'm pretty sure you know the difference
I know the difference, yes. When we talk about "vulturing" points, an interesting fact is the points potential of each player. If Djokovic had won everything he played, he would now have 16250 points, to be 16750 after Beijing. The corresponding figure for Federer is 15500 points.
Litotes is offline  
post #157 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Lurrrkin'
 
Sham Kay Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 16,371
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

List summing up the reasons Nole loses matches so far: Wind/weather in general, lack of fitness, shortness of breath, walkovers and too little tennis making him too rusty in finals, too much tennis making him too crusty in finals, courts too fast, courts too slow, grass, bronze being his favourite metal alloy and USTA

.. Still doesn't compete with Rafa's list.

So someone recently informed me that my sig was empty. Said I needed a life affirming motivational quote by a positive role model like Einstein or Oscar Wilde...

Great tip to stay fit and mobile: If you run up and down the stairs two steps at a time at least once daily, there will never come a time when you can't do it. Until of course one day you mistime a step, collapse and break all your bones... That would suck. But you had a good run.

-Drunk Fitness nerd at the gym
Sham Kay Adams is offline  
post #158 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered User
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,065
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
List summing up the reasons Nole loses matches so far: Wind/weather in general, lack of fitness, shortness of breath, walkovers and too little tennis making him too rusty in finals, too much tennis making him too crusty in finals, courts too fast, courts too slow, grass, bronze being his favourite metal alloy and USTA

.. Still doesn't compete with Rafa's list.

Interesting irony in this post when I'm reading your signature

Monaco - Del Potro - Nadal - Wawrinka - Robredo - Simon - Berdych - Dimitrov - Chardy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Djokovic is the people's champion, Federer and Nadal are greedy thugs.
Matt01 is offline  
post #159 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Registered User
 
IOFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 3,610
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
You're definitely not making sense, that's for sure. He can't be blamed if the other top players were tired/injured or lost early in a mandatory tournament. My line of thinking would not even consider vulturing as far as mandatory events are concerned, so it's definitely not my line of thinking.
Like I said, I'm happy my line of thinking doesn't coincide with the line of thinking that winning 8-of-top-10 500 is vulturing whereas beating Tipsarevic and Gasquet to win a 100 after a hectic summer isn't.

Carry on.

Educating MTF clowns one post at a time.
So many fanboys to troll, so little time.

Favourite tennis matches: 2011 US Open Final & 2012 Australian Open Final, starring Novak Djokovic & Rafael Nadal, showing us just how far science can take humanity.

The US Open Final was especially enjoyable, with 'Why are there white spots all over my body?' Djokovic and 'Why am I sweating boils?' Nadal embarked on a titanic battle, concluding with the inferior player, Nadal, entering a sort of delirious state of psychosis. This allowed him to, while showing very little fatigue, consume inhuman amounts of energy, before he literally ran his legs from underneath him. This is truly the stuff dreams are made of.
IOFH is offline  
post #160 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 16,958
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
Like I said, I'm happy my line of thinking doesn't coincide with the line of thinking that winning 8-of-top-10 500 is vulturing whereas beating Tipsarevic and Gasquet to win a 100 after a hectic summer isn't.

Carry on.
Neither is vulturing. Federer is obviously not a vulture, would be ridiculous to claim otherwise. The non mandatories he won were Rotterdam with Berdych and Delpo, and Dubai with eight of the top 10, both strong fields. Halle, where he reached the final, had Nadal and Berdych.

The point of my post wasn't to claim Federer was a vulture (only two players in that list are, Ferrer and Monaco), but to highlight how Djokovic has taken 'non vulturing' to its absolute extreme (almost), by basically neglecting non mandatory 250/500 altogether so far this year. Entering and winning those doesn't make Federer a vulture by any stretch of imagination as all tournaments had pretty strong fields, but it is what gives Federer even a prayer of ending the year #1. In mandatory tournaments (and Olympics), Nole has a 2k+ point lead.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #161 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Lurrrkin'
 
Sham Kay Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 16,371
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Interesting irony in this post when I'm reading your signature
I usually spot irony a mile away. I'm definitely biased in this case, so tell me what you noticed

So someone recently informed me that my sig was empty. Said I needed a life affirming motivational quote by a positive role model like Einstein or Oscar Wilde...

Great tip to stay fit and mobile: If you run up and down the stairs two steps at a time at least once daily, there will never come a time when you can't do it. Until of course one day you mistime a step, collapse and break all your bones... That would suck. But you had a good run.

-Drunk Fitness nerd at the gym
Sham Kay Adams is offline  
post #162 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Registered User
 
IOFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 3,610
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Neither is vulturing. Federer is obviously not a vulture, would be ridiculous to claim otherwise. The non mandatories he won were Rotterdam with Berdych and Delpo, and Dubai with eight of the top 10, both strong fields. Halle, where he reached the final, had Nadal and Berdych.

The point of my post wasn't to claim Federer was a vulture (only two players in that list are, Ferrer and Monaco), but to highlight how Djokovic has taken 'non vulturing' to its absolute extreme (almost), by basically neglecting non mandatory 250/500 altogether so far this year. Entering and winning those doesn't make Federer a vulture by any stretch of imagination as all tournaments had pretty strong fields, but it is what gives Federer even a prayer of ending the year #1. In mandatory tournaments (and Olympics), Nole has a 2k+ point lead.
Contradictory, you are indirectly claiming Federer has vultured more points than No2e this year which I strongly disagreed and rebutted. Tournament being mandatory or not is irrelevant considering the top players can skip tournaments as they please. ¨

BTW, I consider complaining about vulturing being extremely clownish but if you want to go there we drop Rotterdam for Fed and Toronto for No2e and Federer is 500 points closer in the race.

Educating MTF clowns one post at a time.
So many fanboys to troll, so little time.

Favourite tennis matches: 2011 US Open Final & 2012 Australian Open Final, starring Novak Djokovic & Rafael Nadal, showing us just how far science can take humanity.

The US Open Final was especially enjoyable, with 'Why are there white spots all over my body?' Djokovic and 'Why am I sweating boils?' Nadal embarked on a titanic battle, concluding with the inferior player, Nadal, entering a sort of delirious state of psychosis. This allowed him to, while showing very little fatigue, consume inhuman amounts of energy, before he literally ran his legs from underneath him. This is truly the stuff dreams are made of.
IOFH is offline  
post #163 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Clayray Returns
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 20
Posts: 41,254
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

This year sure hasn't been as terrible as 2011. He didn't get 40 opponents who played awful in a row and his so called "GOAT tennis" isn't around anymore.

ANDY MURRAY

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 7 finals, 9 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 12 WINS, 5 finals, 13 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OTHER: Olympic gold and silver medals, Davis Cup champion...
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 575-167...
TITLES: 36 and counting...

~ Roger ~ Pics ~ Monty ~ Berdman ~ Stronga ~ Feli ~ Big Kev
Sapeod is offline  
post #164 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 16,958
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
Contradictory, you are indirectly claiming Federer has vultured more points than No2e this year which I strongly disagreed and rebutted. Tournament being mandatory or not is irrelevant considering the top players can skip tournaments as they please. ¨

BTW, I consider complaining about vulturing being extremely clownish but if you want to go there we drop Rotterdam for Fed and Toronto for No2e and Federer is 500 points closer in the race.
Hmm no, I'm not claiming he vultured those points. Would only have been the case if they had come from tournaments with weak fields, which wasn't the case. What I am claiming, and it is not particularly debatable, is that Federer entered and got a lot more points from 250/500 tournaments than Novak. In Slams, Masters and Olympics, Djokovic has collected 9730 points this year, Federer 7655. Djokovic has clearly been the best player in the world in the biggest events, only his reluctance to enter 250/500 events is making the race close; he only entered one so far this year and collected 180 points from it while his closest competitor Federer got 1240. Claiming that Djokovic is the very opposite of a vulture doesn't imply that Federer or any other player is; Federer's 500/250 has been normal, along the lines of what you expect from a top player, it's Djokovic's that has been exceptionally short.

Ah why do you insist with Toronto? Masters 1000 events cannot be vultured, especially considering the ranking system in place where you get a 0 pointer if you don't play one of the 4 Slams and 8 mandatory Masters. If the other top players were tired/lost early, more credit for Novak who played the exacty same schedule as them, took a bigger mental hit than them (doesn't get any worse than 4th place at Olympics) and yet managed to play great tennis that week.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #165 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,104
                     
Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
You're definitely not making sense, that's for sure. He can't be blamed if the other top players were tired/injured or lost early in a mandatory tournament. My line of thinking would not even consider vulturing as far as mandatory events are concerned, so it's definitely not my line of thinking.
On your line of thinking, being a vulture has nothing to do with the quality of the opposition you actually face, or your actual results or ranking. You can be a vulture, and gain nothing from it, so your ranking reflects your 'actual' level, or you can play tournaments with seemingly tough draws, get lucky with injuries and lack of form, and get an inflated ranking.

Djokovic wouldn't be a vulture even if all of the top 100 had pulled out of Toronto. Ferrer can't 'vulture' a slam even with W/Os in the semis and finals.

Being a vulture != having an 'inflated' ranking.
Singularity is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome