WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: WWW ?
Ferrer 12 75.00%
Lu 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Ferrer 5-2 H2H against Del Shitro. Not bad for a vulture
Not bad at all. That said, having a favorable H2H against a Grand Slam winner is the only noteworthy aspect of his otherwise lackluster career. And Del Potro will probably end up overturning that H2H anyway; although Ferrer does pose some matchup issues to JMDP, Juan is clearly the better tennis player by far and the H2H mostly an anomaly.
Mark Lenders is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:00 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Not bad at all. That said, having a favorable H2H against a Grand Slam winner is the only noteworthy aspect of his otherwise lackluster career. And Del Potro will probably end up overturning that H2H anyway; although Ferrer does pose some matchup issues to JMDP, Juan is clearly the better tennis player by far and the H2H mostly an anomaly.
No no, you're quite incorrect. Both are quite similar in the regard of having mediocre careers. If you take away Del-Shitro USO, both failed to win masters, both only win MM events, both fail against top 3 and both are seen as tier 2 players. David is a better player obviously, with better H2H, better ranking and more consistent game. Del Shitro is just a ballbashing clown whose fans are still hiding behind his limp wrist as an excuse that he can't beat a 31 year old Noserer.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
No no, you're quite incorrect. Both are quite similar in the regard of having mediocre careers. If you take away Del-Shitro USO, both failed to win masters, both only win MM events, both fail against top 3 and both are seen as tier 2 players. David is a better player obviously, with better H2H, better ranking and more consistent game. Del Shitro is just a ballbashing clown whose fans are still hiding behind his limp wrist as an excuse that he can't beat a 31 year old Noserer.
Exactly, if you take away the USO. However, Del Potro did win that US Open beating Federer and Nadal on the way, so there's no reason why it shouldn't be counted. That weekend alone eclipsed Ferrer's entire career, both in terms of level of play and achievements. Even with a limp wrist, JMDP is still easily better than Ferrer.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 AM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28,985
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Both have been to 4 in the world, both have won a lot of small tier events but JMDP has a US Open title so his career is quite comfortably superior to Ferrer's. That being said, Ferrer has things in his game that bother the Argentine such as the ability to rush him (JMDP likes to get a rhythm going off the ground but Ferrer gets balls back with interest)

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Both have been to 4 in the world, both have won a lot of small tier events but JMDP has a US Open title so his career is quite comfortably superior to Ferrer's. That being said, Ferrer has things in his game that bother the Argentine such as the ability to rush him (JMDP likes to get a rhythm going off the ground but Ferrer gets balls back with interest)
Pretty much this. It's not like the Murray vs JMDP comparison before Murray won the USO either, because with Murray it was always obvious he had the potential/ability to win a Slam himself too, which Ferrer simply doesn't.

And yeah, it's an awkward matchup for Delpo. He hates playing guys who can absorb and redirect power seamlessly, because his default gameplan doesn't work against them, he needs to be more offensive. Against most players he can gain the upperhand in a rally by hitting one single forehand (even if down the middle), that is not the case against Ferrer (and the current top 4). Still don't think it will that much of an issue if/when JMDP gets himself back to top form (no injuries), the gulf in ability is big enough to make matchup issues not as relevant, although Ferrer will probably remain someone JMDP will not want to see in his draws.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Exactly, if you take away the USO. However, Del Potro did win that US Open beating Federer and Nadal on the way, so there's no reason why it shouldn't be counted. That weekend alone eclipsed Ferrer's entire career, both in terms of level of play and achievements. Even with a limp wrist, JMDP is still easily better than Ferrer.
The context of that win was very dodgy to say the least. Nadal had an abdominal tear - he shouldn't have been in SF in the first place, while Noserer was choking left and right, when was the last time you saw him DF in double digits and serve at ~50% in a slam? He was still owning the ballbasher even playing like shit until the choke came

Honestly, as a Fed hater, I can say that USO 2009 was the biggest waste of his career. If he didn't inexplicably choke like a mug, he would be sitting on 18 at the moment. Ferrer and many other players were never afforded an opportunity to have the stars align for them like Delpo. That's why he's a fluke. He never backed up his results, he just got hot and lucky for 2 weeks. At least Mandy made multiple slam finals until USTA gifted him the USO
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
The context of that win was very dodgy to say the least. Nadal had an abdominal tear - he shouldn't have been in SF in the first place, while Noserer was choking left and right, when was the last time you saw him DF in double digits and serve at ~50% in a slam? He was still owning the ballbasher even playing like shit until the choke came

Honestly, as a Fed hater, I can say that USO 2009 was the biggest waste of his career. If he didn't inexplicably choke like a mug, he would be sitting on 18 at the moment. Ferrer and many other players were never afforded an opportunity to have the stars align for them like Delpo. That's why he's a fluke. He never backed up his results, he just got hot and lucky for 2 weeks. At least Mandy made multiple slam finals until USTA gifted him the USO
Let's imagine you are right and the circumstances were really that favorable. Please tell me which players in that USO 2009 draw were of higher quality than this Nadal with an abdominal tear and 'choking' Federer. There might be a case for Djokovic, but that's pretty much it.

I agree that it was a missed chance for Federer, he had plenty of chances to win against an unexperienced opponent who, despite being on fire, was playing his first Slam final. It's still great that he didn't though, considering what happened to Del Potro after that USO - his wrist injury and surgery. Without that USO title, JMDP would be in serious jeapordy of ending his career Slamless and he's way too good a player for that. Even if injury ends up derailing the rest of his career, at least he's already got a Slam, which is only fair.

The stars can never align for Ferrer. Even if he had the nerve to win a Slam (which he doesn't), he simply doesn't have the game. Can you imagine him ever beating any of the current top 4 (and even Tsonga, Berdych...) in a Slam final?
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 AM
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 28
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Can you imagine him ever beating any of the current top 4 (and even Tsonga, Berdych...) in a Slam final?
Ferrer would trash Tsonga or Berdych in the RG final.

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,728
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Ferrer would trash Tsonga or Berdych in the RG final.
He would comfortably beat Murray as well.

Ferrer in 2 btw.

Last edited by Cereal Killer; 09-30-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Cereal Killer is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered User
 
Marcoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 402
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

Ferrer definitely considering his shape right now
Marcoo is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered User
 
Sombrerero loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 61,615
                     
Re: WWW ? China Open R1 : Ferrer - Lu

ferru win this please(and keep vulturing )

Henri KONTINEN

Jaume Pla Malfeito/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Tomas Pusic Whitmore

John Millman /Marcus Willis/Taro Daniel-Alex de Miñaur-Josh Milton


Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Javier Martí-Evan Hoyt-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Andres Artuñedo-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome