Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,226
                     
Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Finally! Something is being done although it would be interesting to see if Dull gets affected.

Quote:
ATP BOARD APPROVES CHANGE IN TIME VIOLATION PENALTY
“No let” serve set for three-month trial on ATP Challenger Tour in 2013

NEW YORK — At its recent meetings in New York, the ATP Board of Directors approved a rule change and a trial for the 2013 season, both proposed by the new ATP Competition Committee.

From 2013, on both the ATP World Tour and ATP Challenger Tour, a time violation between points (25 seconds) will be penalised in the first instance with a warning. For the second and all subsequent violations, the penalty will be a fault for the server and a point penalty for the receiver. Currently, the rule is a warning and then point penalty for both the server and receiver.

“There’s been a lot of discussion about the amount of time taken between points,” said ATP Executive Chairman and President Brad Drewett. “We believe this modification will give officials a useful tool and allow for more consistent enforcement of the current time violation rule.”

The ATP Board also approved a trial elimination of the service let on the ATP Challenger Tour only, for the first three months of 2013.

“Although this change will not materially reduce the length of a match, we believe it should have a positive impact on the flow of the match,” said Drewett. “We’re certainly not ready yet to eliminate the service let, but believe a trial at the ATP Challenger level will be a good way to test this initiative in a competitive environment and get feedback from players and the public before deciding if it could be adapted more broadly.”

The new ATP Competition Committee serves in an advisory capacity, with any recommended changes or innovations requiring approval by the ATP Board of Directors.

The six-person committee consists of two representatives designated by the ATP Tournament Council, two representatives designated by the ATP Player Council, and one at-large member and a committee chairman, both selected by the ATP Executive Chairman and President.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM
country flag Sri
Registered User
 
Sri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 2,533
                     
ATP Board dilutes time violation penalty

Quote:
ATP BOARD APPROVES CHANGE IN TIME VIOLATION PENALTY

“No let” serve set for three-month trial on ATP Challenger Tour in 2013

NEW YORK — At its recent meetings in New York, the ATP Board of Directors approved a rule change and a trial for the 2013 season, both proposed by the new ATP Competition Committee.

From 2013, on both the ATP World Tour and ATP Challenger Tour, a time violation between points (25 seconds) will be penalised in the first instance with a warning. For the second and all subsequent violations, the penalty will be a fault for the server and a point penalty for the receiver. Currently, the rule is a warning and then point penalty for both the server and receiver.

“There’s been a lot of discussion about the amount of time taken between points,” said ATP Executive Chairman and President Brad Drewett. “We believe this modification will give officials a useful tool and allow for more consistent enforcement of the current time violation rule.”

The ATP Board also approved a trial elimination of the service let on the ATP Challenger Tour only, for the first three months of 2013.

“Although this change will not materially reduce the length of a match, we believe it should have a positive impact on the flow of the match,” said Drewett. “We’re certainly not ready yet to eliminate the service let, but believe a trial at the ATP Challenger level will be a good way to test this initiative in a competitive environment and get feedback from players and the public before deciding if it could be adapted more broadly.”

The new ATP Competition Committee serves in an advisory capacity, with any recommended changes or innovations requiring approval by the ATP Board of Directors.

The six-person committee consists of two representatives designated by the ATP Tournament Council, two representatives designated by the ATP Player Council, and one at-large member and a committee chairman, both selected by the ATP Executive Chairman and President.
TLDR;

ATP's reasoning = We don't have the balls to enforce the existing rules, we will dilute so we can enforce the less effective rules when appropriate.

Dominic Thiem Fans => https://www.facebook.com/thiemfans/
Sri is offline  
post #3 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered User
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Planet Djokovic
Posts: 2,469
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

No more slams for Rafito.

DJOKO FETISHIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
Basically, Queerey is a disgrace to the human race.
Brick Top is offline  
post #4 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 12,884
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Elimination of the let...
Slasher1985 is online now  
post #5 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,226
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
No more slams for Rafito.
If the rule is followed...


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #6 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
country flag Sri
Registered User
 
Sri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 2,533
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

"Finally! Something is being done although it would be interesting to see if Dull gets affected. "

Really? Read thru it again.

What is now a point penalty will become a fault. Thus leading to dilution of the penalty for a time violation.

Dominic Thiem Fans => https://www.facebook.com/thiemfans/
Sri is offline  
post #7 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Registered User
 
Roamed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,725
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Is it just me or does it seem like they're relaxing the time volation penalty? The only change is to make it a fault for the server rather than a point penalty...?

Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline  
post #8 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,226
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
"Finally! Something is being done although it would be interesting to see if Dull gets affected. "

Really? Read thru it again.

What is now a point penalty will become a fault. Thus leading to dilution of the penalty for a time violation.
Well, on the face of it, yes. But it's much easier to call a fault on serve than award a point penalty. How many times have you seen that happen?!?

However, I just remembered. The GSs are ITF events, so surely this does not apply to them. The rule there is 20 seconds anyway.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #9 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User
 
henke007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,427
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule


henke007 is offline  
post #10 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,991
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Really? Read thru it again.

What is now a point penalty will become a fault. Thus leading to dilution of the penalty for a time violation.
No, from the way it's written, what is now a point penalty will become a point penalty AND a fault.

The problem is, the point penalty has never been enforced, so why should this make any difference?

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #11 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM
country flag Sri
Registered User
 
Sri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 2,533
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
No, from the way it's written, what is now a point penalty will become a point penalty AND a fault.
Where does it say that?

Dominic Thiem Fans => https://www.facebook.com/thiemfans/
Sri is offline  
post #12 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,991
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Where does it say that?
In bold in the OP, although to be honest it's horribly written and hard to understand.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #13 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
If the rule is followed...
it won't affect slams in any case.

the article says it only applies to the ATP and challenger circuit

abraxas21 is offline  
post #14 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
No, from the way it's written, what is now a point penalty will become a point penalty AND a fault.
I read like Sri : it will be only a fault.

Quote:
For the second and all subsequent violations, the penalty will be a fault for the server and a point penalty for the receiver.
it's for the receiver that it would stay a point penalty.

Which means that if it's before the first serve, the player will have a second serve, whereas so far he lost the point.

Frankly speaking, it changes nuts. And it comes AFTER the warning ... which is very seldom applied itself.

Then well

The let experimentation is far more important.

useless old guy
duong is offline  
post #15 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Registered User
 
tripwires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Age: 30
Posts: 13,526
                     
Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Wait, why are they doing away with service lets?

Roger Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Fed's groundstrokes never were that good to begin with.
tripwires is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome