With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley more? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 27
Posts: 42,254
                     
With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley more?

We have seen how these guys can get balls back and back and back all damn day. Many times in both the USO and AO finals of this year, I saw many chances for guys to come into net and close with a winning volley. But they don't, retreat, and play another 10 shots

Either they are afraid of the other fellow's passing shots, or they have no confidence in their own net game or both. I think these guys need to learn to volley better, and it will save their bodies instead of playing 25 shots every single rally

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 AM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London (sadly)
Posts: 14,923
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

yes, volley is actually very useful, Edberg, McEnroe and even Henman showed it works on slow surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned....
TigerTim is online now  
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 574
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

It's too dangerous,this is pusher era.
cmoss is offline  
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Registered User
 
sexybeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,633
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

The volley won Federer the Wimbledon final, but I dont know if it works on midpaced courts like the current hardcourt in Usopen. AO is out of question, Federer got destroyed by Nadals passing shots in AO.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
sexybeast is offline  
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 27
Posts: 42,254
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
The volley won Federer the Wimbledon final, but I dont know if it works on midpaced courts like the current hardcourt in Usopen. AO is out of question, Federer got destroyed by Nadals passing shots in AO.
Well, that's cause Federer stupidly approached the Nadal forehand over and over again

Approach the BH and see what happens. And this current match, my God. So much defensive slicing, those balls should have been volleyed away for easy winners.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 AM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London (sadly)
Posts: 14,923
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

indeed, Murray should work on his volley for the next 6 months and at Wimbledon he would be very deadly

Slice also, Djokovic's form on the slice is average at best, Murray not much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned....
TigerTim is online now  
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Registered User
 
aussie_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,178
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

Once these players realise that this gamestyle is unsustainable for their body's health it might happen, give it a few years maybe.
aussie_fan is offline  
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Registered User
 
selyoink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 5,529
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

What is this volleying you speak of? I've never heard of it.

Courts need to be sped up. They don't have to play like ice but they shouldn't play like they do. Not good for the viewers and especially the athletes themselves.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline  
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Registered User
 
IOFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 3,678
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

How many long rallies were there where the other guy was blasting away from the baseline and the othe is getting to everything bc of the surface and putting up floaty defensive slices? That crap makes me sick.

Actual cannibal
IOFH is offline  
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 27
Posts: 42,254
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
What is this volleying you speak of? I've never heard of it.

Courts need to be sped up. They don't have to play like ice but they shouldn't play like they do. Not good for the viewers and especially the athletes themselves.
I agree, but not holding my breath for speeding up the courts. So, to counter, guys need to volley. It's tough seeing guys limp away after hard court slam finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
How many long rallies were there where the other guy was blasting away from the baseline and the othe is getting to everything bc of the surface and putting up floaty defensive slices? That crap makes me sick.
Exactly. I saw this a lot w/ that Delpo-Nole semi as well. If Delpo had anything resembling a net game, he could have at least taken a set.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Registered User
 
selyoink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 5,529
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
I agree, but not holding my breath for speeding up the courts. So, to counter, guys need to volley. It's tough seeing guys limp away after hard court slam finals
If players had any sense they would demand speeding the courts up some. I can't imagine Murray, Djokovic and Nadal enjoy playing the types of matches they've had against each other at AO and USO. Nor could Ferrer and Tipsy have enjoyed their match too much either.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline  
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Registered User
 
Garson007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stellenbosch
Age: 29
Posts: 3,958
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

This reminds me, how shit is Novak lobbing this year? Last year he had miracle lobs. Now it's straight on the smashing face. Lost to Federer at Wimbledon partly due to how terrible they were.
Garson007 is offline  
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,113
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

You can see why they don't on higher bounce surfaces, the ball decelerates so much in the air that top defenders have plenty time behind the baseline to get to it and rip a big hit.

Worth it against lesser lights though surely.
philosophicalarf is offline  
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Registered User
 
ApproachShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,542
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
We have seen how these guys can get balls back and back and back all damn day. Many times in both the USO and AO finals of this year, I saw many chances for guys to come into net and close with a winning volley. But they don't, retreat, and play another 10 shots

Either they are afraid of the other fellow's passing shots, or they have no confidence in their own net game or both. I think these guys need to learn to volley better, and it will save their bodies instead of playing 25 shots every single rally
It's a good point that you raise - especially in terms of adapting one's game to help ensure better longevity in their careers.

Of course a lot of the reason behind the unwillingness for players to come forward to the net (and as a result practice more and improve in that area) can be attributed to the slower courts and higher bouncing courts where the opponent has more time to wind up and hit the passing shot. It's logical that the surfaces that seem to reward coming to the net are the faster and lower bouncing surfaces - yet these are becoming rarer on the tour. But there are other factors besides this also.

When you combine today's racquet technology, improvements in players' physical fitness and the homogenisation of court speeds then that begins to paint a fuller picture. These days you really have to hit a top quality approach shot to be confident in putting away the volley - if the approach shot isn't first class then the chances are that you will be passed at the net.

I'm not saying it can't be done. But spending time on the forecourt game at the expense of the baseline is a risk that players these days seem unwilling to take. You have to remember that the slower courts reward high percentage tennis it might be a safer strategy to be consistent in baseline rallies rather than play with finer margins in trying to hit the perfect approach shot to come to the net behind.

Last edited by ApproachShot; 09-11-2012 at 03:03 AM.
ApproachShot is offline  
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Registered User
 
Henry Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,751
                     
Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

Djokovic threw in a sv after 4.5 hours and won the point.

If it had dawned on him to try and shorten points a bit earlier he might not have been dead in the fifth set.

The reluctance to get to the net was ridiculous at times tonight. That 20 shot rally that eventually ended with Djokovic falling over and Murray hitting a winner was a perfect example.

Djokovic hit 5 defensive slices in a row from 3 m behind baseline just to stay in the point but for reasons only known to himself, Murray stayed back.

In hindsight maybe he was cunningly trying to extend points as long as possible.

Speed of conditions was a joke overall though. There was probably 5 or 6 clean winners with both players at the baseline all night.

I don't care how well they defend, that's obscene on what is supposed to be the fast hardcourt slam
Henry Chinaski is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome