US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,212
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

What a horrible, horrible mugfest. The fact that the result was NID and there was simply no way in hell Mugyer could ever win this only made it all the more painful to watch - crap quality and no drama whatsoever and no matter how badly Delpo mugged up he was still winning this.

Juan's form is terrible, his preparation for the USO clearly destroyed by his wrist injury, but he's still too good for most of the mugs on tour. He might as well get to Nole in QF and see what he can do there; as they say, form is temporary, class is permanent, so there's always the chance he could play a great match spurred by the challenge of facing Nole. Of course first he needs to beat Roddick, and for that he needs to raise his level.
Mark Lenders is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
 
LaFuria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,999
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
What a horrible, horrible mugfest. The fact that the result was NID and there was simply no way in hell Mugyer could ever win this only made it all the more painful to watch - crap quality and no drama whatsoever and no matter how badly Delpo mugged up he was still winning this.

Juan's form is terrible, his preparation for the USO clearly destroyed by his wrist injury, but he's still too good for most of the mugs on tour. He might as well get to Nole in QF and see what he can do there; as they say, form is temporary, class is permanent, so there's always the chance he could play a great match spurred by the challenge of facing Nole. Of course first he needs to beat Roddick, and for that he needs to raise his level.
It's a good thing he next opponent is the DickRod and not someone good.
LaFuria is offline  
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 473
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDW View Post
Still worried about his wrist, don't know if that's effecting his play much.

Happy he got through in straights.
His wrist isn't the issue anymore. It's his fitness level and intensity. He's just not in great shape. Even if the wrist is bothering him, it's not preventing him from being in top physical shape, which he's clearly not. Just not putting in the work.
grahampros is offline  
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,027
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
^Is that you, rocket?

I hardly think that someone who hit about 10 more winners than unforced errors in a match played like "human faeces".
Usually more winners than errors means a good match from that player. You do however get exceptions like this, and Murray against Bogomolov.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered User
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,149
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
His wrist isn't the issue anymore. It's his fitness level and intensity. He's just not in great shape. Even if the wrist is bothering him, it's not preventing him from being in top physical shape, which he's clearly not. Just not putting in the work.

What exactly tells you that his fitness level isn't good?

Monaco - Del Potro - Nadal - Wawrinka - Robredo - Simon - Berdych - Dimitrov - Chardy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Djokovic is the people's champion, Federer and Nadal are greedy thugs.
Matt01 is offline  
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 473
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
What exactly tells you that his fitness level isn't good?
Watching him play. It's easy to spot as it is for any player.
grahampros is offline  
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Registered User
 
emotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 21
Posts: 50,187
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

biggest. choker. ever.

Racquet smash enthusiast
emotion is offline  
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Registered User
 
Sanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 2,588
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
biggest. choker. ever.
And you have Tipsy on your avatar.

Gasquet is next №1
Sanya is offline  
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered User
 
Argenbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 928
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
What a horrible, horrible mugfest. The fact that the result was NID and there was simply no way in hell Mugyer could ever win this only made it all the more painful to watch - crap quality and no drama whatsoever and no matter how badly Delpo mugged up he was still winning this.
This.
Argenbrit is offline  
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 PM
country flag NID
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,224
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

dunno, delpo looked OK to me. not the best of his performances, but rather solid.
he does not look fatigued or affected by some wrist discomfort. save for that towel ritual, nothing unusual...
NID is offline  
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
 
Zelyony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 226
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Juan He has no chance against duck with this form...

Roger Federer Mikhail Youzhny Pablo Andujar
Zelyony is offline  
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Registered User
 
emotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 21
Posts: 50,187
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
And you have Tipsy on your avatar.
I like some chokers (Tipsy, Ferrer, Monaco, Becker) but I'm aware they still are
Mayer had SP in both 2nd and 3rd set (at 5-4 40-30 in 2nd and then had BP at 5-5 when he missed 2nd serve)

Racquet smash enthusiast
emotion is offline  
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Registered User
 
Sanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 2,588
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
I like some chokers (Tipsy, Ferrer, Monaco, Becker) but I'm aware they still are
Mayer had SP in both 2nd and 3rd set (at 5-4 40-30 in 2nd and then had BP at 5-5 when he missed 2nd serve)
Ferrer isn`t a choker.

No offence, mate, it simply seemed to be funny for me. I watched the match, I know how it was going on.

Gasquet is next №1
Sanya is offline  
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Registered User
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,149
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
Watching him play. It's easy to spot as it is for any player.

It's not easy to spot espcially when it comes to Del Potro and his expression/attitude on court.

Monaco - Del Potro - Nadal - Wawrinka - Robredo - Simon - Berdych - Dimitrov - Chardy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Djokovic is the people's champion, Federer and Nadal are greedy thugs.
Matt01 is offline  
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,214
                     
Re: US Open R3 : Del Potro def. Mayer 6-3 7-5 7-6 (9)

Mayer is never going to be a top player, but there's a big game in there waiting to be utilised. Mentally one of the worst on tour though, there was almost zero chance he would serve out the 2nd.

Doesn't feel like he's progressed at all in the last three years.
philosophicalarf is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome