If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his award? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered User
 
delpiero7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 1,932
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Fairly obvious that the thread was made with regards to the news about Lance Armstrong today. That the OP has certain views on a certain player is a secondary issue IMO.

Juan Martin Del Potro

David Ferrer - Tommy Haas - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Andy Roddick - Juan Carlos Ferrero - Mardy Fish
delpiero7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 50
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

All the world class athletes are doped and there is no doubt about that. Period.
FedGOAT is offline  
post #33 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 39
Posts: 2,296
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Yes - the winner should be stripped of their title. No, the title should not then be awarded to the runner up, for the reasons already given by posters here.

As to making comments about doping in tennis when there is no "concrete evidence" - it is becoming hard to ignore the rumours and suspicions surrounding some of the players. It's also hard to believe with the current testing regime in tennis that there aren't many players who could take advantage...
Han Solo is offline  
post #34 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered User
 
Just like heaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,514
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
mostly grammar errors; the main ideas and content are unchanged
No, you mentioned the GOAT and the guy who constantly beats him.
Being a coward is not nice and as a fan you're making Federer look bad.
Just like heaven is offline  
post #35 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered User
 
IOFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 3,610
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyz View Post
I think the tournament could "vacate" the title, but the prize money should not be forfeited.

And no the runner-up should not receive the prize anymore than any player the "doping" champion beat along the way. There's no guarantee that the finalist would have won if someone else had been in the final.
The doper's actions can affect the whole result decisively in sports like cycling, running, skiing etc. as well. For example if the 2nd best (best clean) athlete tries to stay with the doper in order to win so much so that he breaks himself and drops out of contention, you can say the corrected result with the doper disqualified isn't justified either. Everything affects everything and if you want to employ that sort of thinking then it is hard to justify any corrected result in any sport.

Educating MTF clowns one post at a time.
So many fanboys to troll, so little time.

Favourite tennis matches: 2011 US Open Final & 2012 Australian Open Final, starring Novak Djokovic & Rafael Nadal, showing us just how far science can take humanity.

The US Open Final was especially enjoyable, with 'Why are there white spots all over my body?' Djokovic and 'Why am I sweating boils?' Nadal embarked on a titanic battle, concluding with the inferior player, Nadal, entering a sort of delirious state of psychosis. This allowed him to, while showing very little fatigue, consume inhuman amounts of energy, before he literally ran his legs from underneath him. This is truly the stuff dreams are made of.
IOFH is offline  
post #36 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,926
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just like heaven View Post
No, you mentioned the GOAT and the guy who constantly beats him.
Being a coward is not nice and as a fan you're making Federer look bad.
hmmm... no, those weren't my exact words. see post 20 for the terms you're missing. theres nothing to hide on my part.

plus, i made that small change precisely to avoid confusions in butthurt nadaltards' minds who instantly assume any doping related thread is about their hero. i wonder why there is this level of insecurity among some of you.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #37 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Registered User
 
Redeyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bogota, Colombia
Posts: 40
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

I find it somewhat bizarre,especially in the USA, that doping is considered such a horrible offense. $74 million was used to try to prosecute an accused baseball player for doping. Yet only $16 million was appropriated to investigate 9/11. Goldman Sachs was left off the hook last week by the Justice Department for its many crimes. But people are up in arms and crying crocodile tears that dopers in sports need to be prosecuted and sent to jail.

The fixation on drugs is way over the top. Again you have a place like America, where at least 40% of the population is on multiple prescription drugs. 1 million kids are on Ritalin. Who knows how many millions are on mind altering, SSRI like prozac etc. You have a culture or society riddled with legal drug abuse and use, not to mention the millions addicted to "ïllegal" drugs from marijuana to cocaine, crack, meth, heroine etc. Its truly bizarre and other worldly that people take such great umbrage to the use of drugs to enhance performance.

I see nothing wrong with people using blood transfusions or growth hormones etc.
How is this any different than the use of the many drug cocktails that doctors prescribe?
If an aging athlete can take a substance that prolongs or helps him heal quicker from an injury, then they should be able to do it.
As long as everyone has access to various formulas, then so be it.

Frankly, I am not sure how much beyond a marginal or short term boost it would have anyway.
Redeyz is offline  
post #38 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

I think it's a matter of when, not if. It's good to be prepared. Keep this thread alive and wait 1-20 years.
Lleyton_ is offline  
post #39 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,926
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiero7 View Post
Fairly obvious that the thread was made with regards to the news about Lance Armstrong today.
exactly.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #40 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
August's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 5,471
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Otherwise a good topic but OP is too provocative.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion | 2015 French Open Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion

My Twitter
August is offline  
post #41 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
Serverer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,966
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Anti doping work in tennis is too weak, they will never catch anyone significant.
Serverer is offline  
post #42 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 39
Posts: 2,296
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyz View Post
I find it somewhat bizarre,especially in the USA, that doping is considered such a horrible offense. $74 million was used to try to prosecute an accused baseball player for doping. Yet only $16 million was appropriated to investigate 9/11. Goldman Sachs was left off the hook last week by the Justice Department for its many crimes. But people are up in arms and crying crocodile tears that dopers in sports need to be prosecuted and sent to jail.

The fixation on drugs is way over the top. Again you have a place like America, where at least 40% of the population is on multiple prescription drugs. 1 million kids are on Ritalin. Who knows how many millions are on mind altering, SSRI like prozac etc. You have a culture or society riddled with legal drug abuse and use, not to mention the millions addicted to "ïllegal" drugs from marijuana to cocaine, crack, meth, heroine etc. Its truly bizarre and other worldly that people take such great umbrage to the use of drugs to enhance performance.

I see nothing wrong with people using blood transfusions or growth hormones etc.
How is this any different than the use of the many drug cocktails that doctors prescribe?
If an aging athlete can take a substance that prolongs or helps him heal quicker from an injury, then they should be able to do it.
As long as everyone has access to various formulas, then so be it.

Frankly, I am not sure how much beyond a marginal or short term boost it would have anyway.
The problem is they don't, or wouldn't dream of going against the laws of their respective sports. So those who do are cheats, gaining an unfair advantage by unlawful means.

In tennis, for example, the use of certain drugs could have a significant effect on reducing recovery time needed between matches, which would be highly desirable during the big tournaments.

However, I agree with much of your post, especially your initial points.
Han Solo is offline  
post #43 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered User
 
Just like heaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,514
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
hmmm... no, those weren't my exact words. see post 20 for the terms you're missing. theres nothing to hide on my part.

plus, i made that small change precisely to avoid confusions in butthurt nadaltards' minds who instantly assume any doping related thread is about their hero. i wonder why there is this level of insecurity among some of you.
Coward.
Just like heaven is offline  
post #44 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28,860
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
Anti doping work in tennis is too weak, they will never catch anyone significant.
Any top player doping will be brushed completely under the carpet. And no I'm not suggesting any top player is.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #45 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,926
                     
Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just like heaven View Post
Coward.
hmmm, ok, i pointed out the exact unedited post for you and everyone to see my point. make whatever conclusion you wish to make but i remind you that the rules are to be respected and insulting fellow members is against them.

abraxas21 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome