Most overrated shot (of the top players) - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,342
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Hewitt definitely has the edge. Probably one of the top volleyers of tour out of players that predominately play singles. He didn't rely on them that much because he never had enough power in his groundstrokes/serve to get to the net consistently.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Slice Winner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,440
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Sure Nalby doesn't go to net often, but it doesn't take away the fact that he has very good volleys. And part of the reason that his volleys might be underrated is because he doesn't display his volleys often
Dunno why you're shrugging, brah, I agree.
Slice Winner is offline  
post #108 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Registered User
 
BroTree123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17,875
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
I think he is very confident at net. Because this definitely influenced the match, as he came back to win it The fact that he went to net on 2 MP's shows he's definitely confident with his volleys and they're really reliable.
[youtube]lrO_9eZoIKE[/youtube]
That drop volley was insane

Quote:
Hian about himself
Quote:
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline  
post #109 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Slice Winner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,440
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Hewitt definitely has the edge. Probably one of the top volleyers of tour out of players that predominately play singles. He didn't rely on them that much because he never had enough power in his groundstrokes/serve to get to the net consistently.
Hewitt's a beast at net. Pity he's only 150cm tall, and like you say, doesn't often get into net.
THAT being said. Hewitt's serve is also underrated IMO.
Slice Winner is offline  
post #110 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice Winner View Post
Dunno why you're shrugging, brah, I agree.
I shrug to hide my insecurities and my social anxiety.

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #111 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,342
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

The problem with his serve was that he always had a shit first serve percentage. Rarely ever served above 60% first serves from what I saw.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #112 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Slice Winner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,440
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
The problem with his serve was that he always had a shit first serve percentage. Rarely ever served above 60% first serves from what I saw.
He should learn from Verdasco. Roll it in at 80% and work his way to the top of the game.
Slice Winner is offline  
post #113 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:22 AM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Hewitt definitely has the edge. Probably one of the top volleyers of tour out of players that predominately play singles. He didn't rely on them that much because he never had enough power in his groundstrokes/serve to get to the net consistently.
Awwww dangit! I think you got me there. Hewitt is a way better doubles player than Nalby. Which probably means he's a better volleyer. Most people forget that Hewitt won the US Open in dubs

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #114 of 138 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,342
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Lleyton = drop volley king and overhead GOAT.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #115 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
                     
It's official

I think we may have discovered the most overrated shot of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Roddick and Querrey are both taller as well but Federer still has a better serve. Karlovic is taller and has more pace in his serve, but it's still arguable that Federer still has the better serve. So, what's your point?


Seriously, how can anyone believe that Federer's serve is better than Roddick's or Querrey's, let alone Karlovic's? Because he holds real easy? Ever realized how his groundgame is miles ahead of these guys?
ersatto is offline  
post #116 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: It's official

Olderer has an awesome serve, but it still can't compare to someone like Karlovic who uses his height to generate wicked angles without losing the pace. Every serve bot tends to be over 190cm. Olderer uses technique rather than height to make his serve effective.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #117 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Registered User
 
The Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 12,409
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Federer's serve might be better than Roddick's right now, it's close.

Querrey's is a level above though, and Karlovic is way out in front.
The Prince is offline  
post #118 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Nalbandian is an underrated volleyer, no doubt.

Federer: his volleys are quite overrated too, as you could see today against Murray.

Djokovic: the fact that some people ever seriously considered him the return GOAT shows how incredibly overrated that shot of his was. I would also add his BH cross court (seriously, can't get much angle at all unless he's playing Nadal) but it looked great against Federer in RG 2012. Last but not least his movement, which Mats Trollander claimed was far ahead of Nadal.

Nadal: his returning probably.

Murray: his backhand can be unimaginative.
ersatto is offline  
post #119 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Registered User
 
green25814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 4,379
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Murray's backhand is hardly overrated. He can do almost anything with it. Its better than Gasquet's as far as I'm concerned

I love all aspects of TENNIS.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V

Last edited by green25814; 08-06-2012 at 01:22 AM.
green25814 is offline  
post #120 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 466
                     
Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Nadal's volleys, Federer's volley- when it's going good it's going great, but when it's not.., Del Potro's forehand- that thing needs to be 100% on fire for it to be effective.
Chemokine is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome