5 Forehands With Deadly Finishing Power and Consistency In the Clutch - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Definitely Gonzo and Fed. But I also think Nadal. His spin is ridiculous, and that's the shot that has made him so successful for the most part. It can get really powerful too!
[youtube]sKoUrBhhh7k[/youtube]

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,890
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Definitely Gonzo and Fed. But I also think Nadal. His spin is ridiculous, and that's the shot that has made him so successful for the most part. It can get really powerful too!
[youtube]sKoUrBhhh7k[/youtube]

holy shit. that was like a speeding bullet with topspin.

sick forehand there dude.

Clay Death is offline  
post #18 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,890
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

here is my list:

1. clay warrior
2. fed
3. lendl
4. gonzo
5. muster


i can add a few more to that list:

6. agassi
7. courier (strange looking forehand but effective as hell and consistent)
8. sampras
9. vilas
10. borg

Clay Death is offline  
post #19 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 31
Posts: 692
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
anybody for sampras?

i am looking for a forehand that performed best under pressure and also was a devastating forehand with ridiculous finishing power.
Most Brilliant Forehand Shot by Rafa vs. Kohli, AO 2010
[youtube]qp3JJvlMGDQ[/youtube]

Most Powerful Clutch Forehand vs. Nole, Third set Tiebreak, Madrid 2009

[youtube]RrzI2Zlpm1Q[/youtube]
Raferminator is offline  
post #20 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Registered User
 
Smoke944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,577
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Blake's forehand was huge but pretty one dimensional.

Sebastien Grosjean's forehand was simply genius. Wand like his prime.
Wand like is an absolutely fantastic way to describe it, and I couldn't agree more. Awesome shot.
Smoke944 is offline  
post #21 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,890
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator View Post
Most Brilliant Forehand Shot by Rafa vs. Kohli, AO 2010
[youtube]qp3JJvlMGDQ[/youtube]

Most Powerful Clutch Forehand vs. Nole, Third set Tiebreak, Madrid 2009

[youtube]RrzI2Zlpm1Q[/youtube]



nice. keep them coming.

Clay Death is offline  
post #22 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Registered User
 
BroTree123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18,528
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Under pressure, Federer's and Nadal's forehands were insane.

Quote:
Hian about himself
Quote:
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline  
post #23 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Registered User
 
Smoke944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,577
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
Under pressure, Federer's and Nadal's forehands were insane.
Nadal basically doesn't miss his forehand under pressure.
Smoke944 is offline  
post #24 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,890
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
Nadal basically doesn't miss his forehand under pressure.


well nadal has lost some of his machine like consistency but you are spot on.

in the past when he was on his game, he never missed with his forehand under pressure and in the clutch.

same with muster and borg. they were machines off the forehand wing.

Clay Death is offline  
post #25 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered User
 
samanosuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 20,260
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

oh give me a break with clay warrior shits. something so artificial can't be the best. forehand with no variety can't be the best.

lengai jai, good call with Grosjean, almost forgot how beautiful it was, specially dth

La Undécima
samanosuke is offline  
post #26 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,567
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
here is my list:

1. clay warrior
2. fed
3. lendl
4. gonzo
5. muster


i can add a few more to that list:

6. agassi
7. courier (strange looking forehand but effective as hell and consistent)
8. sampras
9. vilas
10. borg
Clearly not bias, there.
paseo is offline  
post #27 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,890
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
Clearly not bias, there.


actually i am more objective than you ever could be. you see i am not blinded by blind worship.

you are not bright enough for me try to explain.


11 majors while serving with a wrong hand so basically no serve, pathetic slice, miserable backhand, fucked up knees, almost always injured.

and we all know he cant volley so he is limited in so many ways.

you know of anybody else who has managed 11 majors with pretty much one stroke?


i am more objective than you can ever dream to be. i dont have to blindly worship anyone but you do.


i would say it is nadal who has the greatest forehand the world has ever known.


why dont you ask fed about it and he will tell you.


Last edited by Clay Death; 07-21-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Clay Death is offline  
post #28 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 AM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,415
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
where is statracket?

he is definitely one of the very best posters here. so his opinion is always worth reading.
That sure feels good to get an individual mention right of the bat in a thread by the renowned Clay Death.

I don't like to comment on players I haven't seen play very often, so my discussion looks at more recent players.

After a bit of thought, I'm going to put Nadal's forehand as number one. It's well known that Nadal's forehand generates more topspin than any other ground stroke ever in the game. This spin enables him to take tremendous rips at the ball and still have considerable margin. This margin means that he rarely misses and this gives him even more confidence in pressure situations. The topspin also makes it so difficult to volley and consistently attack, plus it allows incredible angles. Put this on clay and the vast majority of opponents simply can't handle it. Add leftyness and amazing speed (running around backhands) and you have one of the most effective weapons in tennis, ever.

Nadal's forehand may be best overall, but it certainly isn't the best in all conditions. For all round effectiveness, look no further than Federer. He also generates a lot of topspin, but not as much as Nadal. His forehand is generally hit with more power though. Give Nadal the right forehand and he'll ware you down pretty quickly, but Federer will usually hit a winner quicker. It was scary how dominant Federer's forehand was in his prime. Just slightly more errors are enough to push him back from number one in my opinion.

Often a good way to find players with an amazing stroke is to look at the rest of their game. Moya and Gonzalez didn't have good backhands but were both very good players. Hence their forehands must have been excellent. Moya ran around his forehand heaps and had every right to given that it was one of the best shots in tennis. Kind of like Nadal's, yet flatter and less consistent (and a righty). Gonzalez's forehand was extremely powerful and when he was in the zone, it was virtually unstoppable.

[youtube]pGKJ5elXNUQ[/youtube]

Special mentions to Agassi who was amazing at taking the ball on the rise (on both wings including the forehand) and Sampras with his incredible running forehands. I don't feel brave enough to rank players beyond the top two, but Nadal and Federer have a clear lead (among relatively recent players).
n8 is offline  
post #29 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,890
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
That sure feels good to get an individual mention right of the bat in a thread by the renowned Clay Death.

I don't like to comment on players I haven't seen play very often, so my discussion looks at more recent players.

After a bit of thought, I'm going to put Nadal's forehand as number one. It's well known that Nadal's forehand generates more topspin than any other ground stroke ever in the game. This spin enables him to take tremendous rips at the ball and still have considerable margin. This margin means that he rarely misses and this gives him even more confidence in pressure situations. The topspin also makes it so difficult to volley and consistently attack, plus it allows incredible angles. Put this on clay and the vast majority of opponents simply can't handle it. Add leftyness and amazing speed (running around backhands) and you have one of the most effective weapons in tennis, ever.

Nadal's forehand may be best overall, but it certainly isn't the best in all conditions. For all round effectiveness, look no further than Federer. He also generates a lot of topspin, but not as much as Nadal. His forehand is generally hit with more power though. Give Nadal the right forehand and he'll ware you down pretty quickly, but Federer will usually hit a winner quicker. It was scary how dominant Federer's forehand was in his prime. Just slightly more errors are enough to push him back from number one in my opinion.

Often a good way to find players with an amazing stroke is to look at the rest of their game. Moya and Gonzalez didn't have good backhands but were both very good players. Hence their forehands must have been excellent. Moya ran around his forehand heaps and had every right to given that it was one of the best shots in tennis. Kind of like Nadal's, yet flatter and less consistent (and a righty). Gonzalez's forehand was extremely powerful and when he was in the zone, it was virtually unstoppable.

[youtube]pGKJ5elXNUQ[/youtube]

Special mentions to Agassi who was amazing at taking the ball on the rise (on both wings including the forehand) and Sampras with his incredible running forehands.


great post as always general statracket.


i watched one of gonzo`s matches at the french open a few years back. he must have hit 25 forehands at breakneck speeds. it was sick when he was really on.

but to be considered the very best of the best, you have to have amazing results with that forehand. and that invariably means big titles.


so for that reason, your post is 100% spot on.

i have to rate nadal`s forehand as the best ever. fed is close second.

i also like lendl, muster, and borg. they too hardly ever missed in the clutch.

same with vilas but i need to watch a few of his matches to get a better idea. i am very impressed with all that i have read. his numbers are crazy.

he did not have a big serve and he was not all that competent at the net. his backhand was a thing of beauty but it must have been his forehand that did the damage.

lets face it. how can you have deadly finishing power off a single handed backhand with a wooden racquet with a sweet spot the size of a dime.

Clay Death is offline  
post #30 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 AM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,415
                     
Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
i have to rate nadal`s forehand as the best ever. fed is close second.
Thanks and glad you agree. I like your knowledge of the games of the greats too.

Last edited by n8; 07-21-2012 at 08:22 AM.
n8 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome