Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75... - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 2,120
                     
Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

My question is, of Connors' 109 titles, how many of them were Mickey Mouse titles (i.e. only 16, 8, or less players in the main draw)? Rogie's events always have at least 28-32 guys in them right?
theseth1119 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered User
 
EliSter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: everywhere...
Age: 26
Posts: 5,936
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Ofcours Rogi 75 titles >>>>>> Conors 109 MM ones

Quote:
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Registered User
 
samanosuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 19,955
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

At least 30 from his titles Connors won by beating 2-3 rounds. He himself said that

La Décima
samanosuke is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered User
 
TennisOnWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,012
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
At least 30 from his titles Connors won by beating 2-3 rounds. He himself said that
That's far from truth. He won some 6 ATP titles in 70's when he didn't played more than 3 matches

HIC IACET ARTHURUS REX QUONDAM REXQUE FUTURUS — "Here lies Arthur, the once and future king."
TennisOnWood is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered User
 
EddieNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 50
Posts: 3,506
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Fed's titles are far more valuable. First of all modern tennis is incomparably more physical than 20-30 years ago so logically it required much more effort from Federer to collect those titles.
EddieNero is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 51,761
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseth1119 View Post
My question is, of Connors' 109 titles, how many of them were Mickey Mouse titles (i.e. only 16, 8, or less players in the main draw)? Rogie's events always have at least 28-32 guys in them right?
I don't know about "Mickey Mouse" but it always interested me that only 29 of those titles were taken abroad. Mostly he got them travelling the US.
Litotes is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Registered User
 
jonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,822
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Ignoring Masters and Grand slam cup here are Connors titles with 16 or less in the draw:

Roanoke 1972, Draw: 4
Baltimore 1973, Draw; 16
Jacksonville 1973, Draw: 16
Roanoke 1973, Draw: 16
Paramus 1973, Draw: 16
Roanoke 1974, Draw: 16
Manchester 1974, Draw: 16
Hampton 1976, Draw: 16
Denver 1976: Draw: 16
Birmingham 1977, Draw: 16
St Louis 1977, Draw: 16
Dallas 1977, Draw: 8
Dallas 1980, Draw: 8

Dallas was however best of five and with top players in it. What's the story there? Like a Masters in cup-form?

All in all not too many small draws. And I guess it's more important who's in the draw, really.

"You were no picnic, you were no prize
but you had just enough pathos to keep me hypnotized"

Ani DiFranco
jonas is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 40,913
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Connors has won more events equivalent to 250 and 500 events than Fed. His 109 titles are legit, but if Fed gets to like 85-90, I think it'll be more impressive.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 36
Posts: 1,662
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

No way for Federer wins more than 100 titles, more non-Mandatory Tournments (Non-GS, non-1000, non-ATP Tours Finals) will not contribute more race / ranking points!
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 51,761
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Connors has won more events equivalent to 250 and 500 events than Fed.
How many of his titles are close equivalents to masters tournaments? Do you know?
Litotes is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 13,401
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas View Post
Ignoring Masters and Grand slam cup here are Connors titles with 16 or less in the draw:

Roanoke 1972, Draw: 4
Baltimore 1973, Draw; 16
Jacksonville 1973, Draw: 16
Roanoke 1973, Draw: 16
Paramus 1973, Draw: 16
Roanoke 1974, Draw: 16
Manchester 1974, Draw: 16
Hampton 1976, Draw: 16
Denver 1976: Draw: 16
Birmingham 1977, Draw: 16
St Louis 1977, Draw: 16
Dallas 1977, Draw: 8
Dallas 1980, Draw: 8

Dallas was however best of five and with top players in it. What's the story there? Like a Masters in cup-form?

All in all not too many small draws. And I guess it's more important who's in the draw, really.
Dallas used to be regarded as the 5th slam, the bloke who built the USTA came from their, much of the oil money was used to lure big name players to texas in those days.

On Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 AM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 40,913
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
How many of his titles are close equivalents to masters tournaments? Do you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
Dallas used to be regarded as the 5th slam, the bloke who built the USTA came from their, much of the oil money was used to lure big name players to texas in those days.
This is true. Dallas was the culmination of the WCT year from 71-89, sort of like a TMC, but played in May with the top 8, and separate from the ATP Masters Year End.

List of champions:

Rosewall
Smith
Newcombe
Ashe
Borg
Connors
Gerulaitis
McEnroe
Lendl
Becker

That's about as good as it gets.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 13,401
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Rosewall
Smith
Newcombe
Ashe
Borg
Connors
Gerulaitis
McEnroe
Lendl
Becker

That's about as good as it gets.
Holy crap! All slam winners, 7 with 5+ slams (Newcombe, Borg, Jimbo, McEnroe, Becker, Ivan and Ken), no?

On Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 38
Posts: 11,879
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Federer - the player with most tittle won abroad.

That's a new record right there
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 AM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 43
Posts: 51,761
                     
Re: Connors 109 vs. Rogie 75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Federer - the player with most tittle won abroad.

That's a new record right there
Depends how you define "abroad". Federer has won 69 titles outside Switzerland, but Ivan Lendl has won 94 titles outside Czechoslovakia.

Federer has the record for most titles outside the US, though, with 58. Lendl 56.
Litotes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome