There is a report about the future of the Hamburg tournament in a local newspaper today:
- Michael Stich and the agency HSE (who got the licence for the tournament from the German tennis association) have an option until 2018 and plan to continue at least until then
- They write it is highly unlikely that Hamburg will become an indoor tournament. There are no capacities for it in the town and the ATP doesn't have any new indoor tournaments planned for 2014 and 2015.
- The ATP has asked Hamburg and Stuttgart to fill in with a new tournament on grass when they extend the grass season in 2015. According to a board member of the club who has the building law for the Rothenbaum they won't be able to pay for the needed investments and maintenance.
Michael Stich also doesn't see any advantages as Hamburg would get downgraded to a 250 tournament as the ATP doesn't want to have a 500 tournament after the French Open.
- A discussed possibility would be to get a licence for a women tournament. Germany only has one in Stuttgart right now. According to a spokeperson from the ATP they don't look for another combined tournament though. Beside this Halle has plans for a women tournament and they are going to decide until the US Open if they are going to apply for it. It's unimaginable that Germany will have 2 combined tournaments.
- At the moment the most realistic scenario is that the tournament stays like it is now and that they modernize the facility. Michael Stich said that all other possible dates wouldn't be better than the one they have now and that it would be important for them to have the status of Germany's biggest tournament.
- The redevelopment of the roof would cost about 1,5 Million Euro and the German tennis association won't be able to pay this.
- The favored solution is to have a stadion which can be used for league matches of the local hockey club and which can be upgraded for 7500 people for the tennis tournament. They made a feasibility analysis with a positive result but further building plans will be made after discussions with responsible people from the town.
- It is agreed upon that everyone tries to keep the tournament.
(German source: http://www.abendblatt.de/sport/rothe...othenbaum.html