Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS ROG! - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #256 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered User
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,151
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

This thread
Sapeod never fails to deliver.

Monaco - Del Potro - Nadal - Wawrinka - Robredo - Simon - Berdych - Dimitrov - Chardy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Djokovic is the people's champion, Federer and Nadal are greedy thugs.
Matt01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #257 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 PM
King of Queens
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 41,595
                     
Post Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
Tour is in total jeopardy if this is true.

Fortunately, it isn`t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Dani
You can laugh all you want but it's true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
It's easier to be skilled and talented on the defence than it is on the offence. If you play tennis you can immediately recognise that.
That's the wide gap that separates Federer's talent from Murray's
I'm talking about overall talent. Murray is 2nd only to Federer currently. Federer is way beyond anybody that ever played tennis, so of course Murray's not up to par with him. However, he is the most talented player when you take Federer out of the discussion. Simple as that.

ANDY MURRAY

SLAMS: 3 WINS, 8 finals, 9 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
WORLD TOUR FINALS: 3 semi-finals...
MASTERS: 12 WINS, 6 finals, 13 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
OLYMPICS: 2 gold medals, 1 silver...
DAVIS CUP: 2016 champion...
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 602-172...
TITLES: 39 and counting...
Sapeod is offline  
post #258 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,577
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff View Post
The simple fact that Sampras has 1 more YE#1 with less total weeks at no.1 than Federer shows how dumb that logic is, tbh.
All year end number one says is that you were the best player for that year. You might be number one for the first ten months of a year, but in the last month the second ranked player could overtake you and take the year end number one. Just because that second ranked player wasn't number one for the duration of the year doesn't take away from his accomplishment.
SerialKillerToBe is offline  
post #259 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered User
 
niff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 28
Posts: 2,281
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
All year end number one says is that you were the best player for that year. You might be number one for the first ten months of a year, but in the last month the second ranked player could overtake you and take the year end number one. Just because that second ranked player wasn't number one for the duration of the year doesn't take away from his accomplishment.
That would only make sense as the main comparative statistic if the year end number 1 was basically the only ranking published each year. But it isn't, the YE#1 is an aside.
niff is offline  
post #260 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered User
 
Sanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 2,588
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
I guess you don't include Nalbandian as the recent generation, but he's the closest thing to Federer stylewise. With a trade-off between serve and backhand.
This is correct. Any other active player is as far from David here as himself is from Fed. Still I would give him second place without a doubt.

Gasquet is next №1
Sanya is offline  
post #261 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered User
 
EliSter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: everywhere...
Age: 27
Posts: 5,954
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
I'm talking about overall talent. Murray is 2nd only to Federer currently. Federer is way beyond anybody that ever played tennis, so of course Murray's not up to par with him. However, he is the most talented player when you take Federer out of the discussion. Simple as that.
You can reapet that like a parrot and belive its true, but its just not.

Quote:
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline  
post #262 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,222
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
You can laugh all you want but it's true.

I'm talking about overall talent. Murray is 2nd only to Federer currently. Federer is way beyond anybody that ever played tennis, so of course Murray's not up to par with him. However, he is the most talented player when you take Federer out of the discussion. Simple as that.


You cannot be serious. Murray is a very good player thriving in an era where the conditions suit his grinding brand of tennis. In no way is he a mercurial talent like Federer or even remotely close to being the second most talented player on tour

It is enough to say that the aspects he excels at (defense, fitness, return, movement), he's eclipsed by Nadal in all of them except return. Let's not even talk about aspects like his serve or FH, etc...
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #263 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,028
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post


You cannot be serious. Murray is a very good player thriving in an era where the conditions suit his grinding brand of tennis. In no way is he a mercurial talent like Federer or even remotely close to being the second most talented player on tour

It is enough to say that the aspects he excels at (defense, fitness, return, movement), he's eclipsed by Nadal in all of them except return. Let's not even talk about aspects like his serve or FH, etc...
His serve is better than Nadal's and his backhand makes Nadal's look pretty silly.

Regarding his talent, he has good touch, feel and slice. There are more talented players, but the conditions mean that Murray's talented facets are rendered pretty useless (besides the low slice on the defensive) and the fitness, return and defensive strength are what today's conditions require to succeed at the top unless the courts get sped up.

Players I'd describe as the most talented on tour include Federer, Nalbandian (as he still hasn't retired), Tsonga, these types.

The conditions of the slams and big tournaments these days mean that there's less of a correlation between talent and results than there ever was.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #264 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,672
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

G.o.a.t.
Honestly is offline  
post #265 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

The record is tainted by the fact that most of Noserer's weeks at #1 were in a mug era of 2003-2007. With no competition, thrashing slam titans like Baldenko, Hewitt, Roddick and Clownbandian it was very easy for Noserer to dominate the top spot. His competition had no balls, talent, ruthlessness, ambition and the will to be the best. Tells a lot about his supposed dominance when a baby clay courter was his biggest rival in slams. But hey, he is still GOAT amongst his fangirl legion who think beating titans like Drugsquet and Haas in semis of a slam is a massive deal.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #266 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Registered User
 
caisenma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 853
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
The record is tainted by the fact that most of Noserer's weeks at #1 were in a mug era of 2003-2007. With no competition, thrashing slam titans like Baldenko, Hewitt, Roddick and Clownbandian it was very easy for Noserer to dominate the top spot. His competition had no balls, talent, ruthlessness, ambition and the will to be the best. Tells a lot about his supposed dominance when a baby clay courter was his biggest rival in slams. But hey, he is still GOAT amongst his fangirl legion who think beating titans like Drugsquet and Haas in semis of a slam is a massive deal.
at the end of the day, nobody of any significance feels the same way as you. no one. absolutely no one that has any ounce of credibility in the world of tennis or professional sport as a whole, would back you up on this or your other relentless attacks on "noserer" or his "fangirl legions".

i understand that it's very important for you to feel recognised, but please note that it's possible to respect a player of federer's calibre whilst still acknowledging that you simply prefer nadal's game.

but good lord. i read these boards from time to time, and every thread i go to you're speaking the same thing. are you worried that you're not being noticed? well, you are! much like the child who was crying throughout the film i saw on friday, everyone took note.

you are far too good of a poster and knowledgeable of a tennis fan to resort to such amateur theatrics.
caisenma is offline  
post #267 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 39
Posts: 2,349
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisenma View Post
at the end of the day, nobody of any significance feels the same way as you. no one. absolutely no one that has any ounce of credibility in the world of tennis or professional sport as a whole, would back you up on this or your other relentless attacks on "noserer" or his "fangirl legions".

i understand that it's very important for you to feel recognised, but please note that it's possible to respect a player of federer's calibre whilst still acknowledging that you simply prefer nadal's game.

but good lord. i read these boards from time to time, and every thread i go to you're speaking the same thing. are you worried that you're not being noticed? well, you are! much like the child who was crying throughout the film i saw on friday, everyone took note.

you are far too good of a poster and knowledgeable of a tennis fan to resort to such amateur theatrics.
Well, you have to admire his persistence, no?

I was disappointed when I found out he didn't actually coin the term "noserer".
Han Solo is offline  
post #268 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered User
 
caisenma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 853
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Well, you have to admire his persistence, no?

I was disappointed when I found out he didn't actually coin the term "noserer".
i can understand to a certain degree that in team sports people often make fun of a certain organisation as part of a rivalry, but in individual sports it's beyond me. they're just people playing a game. what am i missing here? or would it help if i was 9 years old?
caisenma is offline  
post #269 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,672
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Well, you have to admire his persistence, no?

I was disappointed when I found out he didn't actually coin the term "noserer".
Much like his hero, Topspinmug is not talented enough to come u with his own words. He just trolls these boards with the same old drivel day in and day out, like a baby throwing his toys out of his pram cause he is not getting his way. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny.
Honestly is offline  
post #270 of 395 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 39
Posts: 2,349
                     
Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisenma View Post
i can understand to a certain degree that in team sports people often make fun of a certain organisation as part of a rivalry, but in individual sports it's beyond me. they're just people playing a game. what am i missing here? or would it help if i was 9 years old?
Whether team or individual sports, it's usually the best of the best that attract the most ire from rival fans and general public...

But yes, you would probably appreciate these attempts at humour more if you were a child.
Han Solo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome