S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com
 40Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 AM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
God must hate him.
Lorenzi

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #137 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,716
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Do you have to hit the ball with the racket? If a player inadvertently hits the ball with his head, let's say Player A attempts a passing shot and Player B was really close to the net, it hits Player B's head and it lands in Player A's court and lands in – does Player B win or lose the point?
adding to this unanwered question.

Do you actually have to hit the ball at all? What happens if player A hits a drop shot with an insane amount of backspin, player B cannot get to it and gives up on the ball. The ball lands in player B's court only to bounce backwards over the net onto player A's court and bounces twice. Who gets the point?

2012 Chennai Champion
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
Milos

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline  
post #138 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
adding to this unanwered question.

Do you actually have to hit the ball at all? What happens if player A hits a drop shot with an insane amount of backspin, player B cannot get to it and gives up on the ball. The ball lands in player B's court only to bounce backwards over the net onto player A's court and bounces twice. Who gets the point?
I can answer that one. If the ball bounces on your side and you don't touch it, but it bounces back onto the other person's side then it counts for the person who hit the ball. Here's an example using the GOAT Santoro:

[youtube]Mv0pZIbL7hU[/youtube]

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #139 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 AM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,415
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Do you have to hit the ball with the racket? If a player inadvertently hits the ball with his head, let's say Player A attempts a passing shot and Player B was really close to the net, it hits Player B's head and it lands in Player A's court and lands in – does Player B win or lose the point?
Quote:
There is no new rule for 2006. See Friend At Court (FAC) R 24 (h) P.20 – Rules of Tennis: “Player loses point: The ball in play touches the player or anything that the player is wearing or carrying, except the racket.”
Source: http://www.usta.com/Improve-Your-Gam...on_body_shots/

But I think back of the hand is OK (so long it's a hand gripping the racquet). In this very important doubles match, Petzschner gets away with using another body part:

[youtube]IhUmGiT5GqY[/youtube]
n8 is offline  
post #140 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 AM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,415
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
adding to this unanwered question.

Do you actually have to hit the ball at all? What happens if player A hits a drop shot with an insane amount of backspin, player B cannot get to it and gives up on the ball. The ball lands in player B's court only to bounce backwards over the net onto player A's court and bounces twice. Who gets the point?
As well as Freak3yman84's answer, I would like to add something. If the ball does return to the hitter's side after bouncing on his opponent's side, the opponent is allowed to reach other the net line to hit the ball (usually the contact point has to be on the side of the net your feet are on).
n8 is offline  
post #141 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,716
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
I can answer that one. If the ball bounces on your side and you don't touch it, but it bounces back onto the other person's side then it counts for the person who hit the ball. Here's an example using the GOAT Santoro:

[youtube]Mv0pZIbL7hU[/youtube]
well that's stupid then, the net gets in the way of Nalbandian hitting the ball, he shouldn't have to hit a ball which is now no longer on his half of the court

2012 Chennai Champion
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
Milos

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline  
post #142 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 AM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,415
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
well that's stupid then, the net gets in the way of Nalbandian hitting the ball, he shouldn't have to hit a ball which is now no longer on his half of the court
The skill level and unusual circumstances required to hit that shot should be rewarded. Giving the point to Nalbandian would be ludicrous.

I would now like to boast that I've done such a shot.
n8 is offline  
post #143 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Moderator
 
Pratik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 18,874
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
As well as Freak3yman84's answer, I would like to add something. If the ball does return to the hitter's side after bouncing on his opponent's side, the opponent is allowed to reach other the net line to hit the ball (usually the contact point has to be on the side of the net your feet are on).
There is a famous video of Nadal doing this. Can't seem to find it now. Will post it once I do.
Pratik is offline  
post #144 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Registered User
 
Dead Net Cord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,155
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
What are the chances to draw Djokovic in 2 grand slams in 1 year in the 1st round?(Paolo Lorenzi)
The chances for Lorenzi to draw Djokovic in 2 random Grand Slams are (1/127)^2 ~~ 0,0062% which is like tossing tails on a coin 14 times in a row

Last edited by Dead Net Cord; 08-29-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Dead Net Cord is offline  
post #145 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,415
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
What are the chances to draw Djokovic in 2 grand slams in 1 year in the 1st round?(Paolo Lorenzi)
Assuming Djokovic is seeded and Lorenzi is not:

4C2 x (1/96)^2 x (95/96)^2 = 95/147456 = 0.000644 = 0.0644%

The chance of 2 or more times in one year is 0.0649%.
n8 is offline  
post #146 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,415
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
There is a famous video of Nadal doing this. Can't seem to find it now. Will post it once I do.
[youtube]-QNcly47JDQ[/youtube]

Nadal is in it at 1:05 but the whole video shows these super backspin shots (Gonzalez features more than once, due to hitting a return of serve forehand with a backhand grip). Rios
n8 is offline  
post #147 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Moderator
 
Pratik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 18,874
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
Nadal is in it at 1:05 but the whole video shows these super backspin shots (Gonzalez features more than once, due to hitting a return of serve forehand with a backhand grip). Rios
Mansour Bahrami
Pratik is offline  
post #148 of 2182 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Net Cord View Post
The chances for Lorenzi to draw Djokovic in 2 random Grand Slams are (1/127)^2 ~~ 0,0062% which is like tossing tails on a coin 14 times in a row
Thanks





Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
Assuming Djokovic is seeded and Lorenzi is not:

4C2 x (1/96)^2 x (95/96)^2 = 95/147456 = 0.000644 = 0.0644%

The chance of 2 or more times in one year is 0.0649%.


Sent from my SGH-T989 using VerticalSports.Com App

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #149 of 2182 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,445
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Bump. And who the hell are those people who talk to the winner of a match when they are packing up their bags. What's their purpose too?

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #150 of 2182 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
August's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 5,474
                     
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

SQ #1: If you manage to hit the ball to opponent's side past the net post, does it have to pass the net higher then net?

SQ #2: What are players' clothing contracts like. In his match against Gulbis, Haas wore Nike shorts and hat, and most of his shirts were Nike but he also wore one Asics shirt. Top players are paid for wearing a brand but what about lower ranked guys. And what are racquet contracts like, I assume top guys are paid by racquet companies?

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion | 2015 French Open Champion | 2016 US Open Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion

My Twitter
August is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome