Endless Federer-Nadal debates - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: How will it look?
Nadal more than 15 matches ahead. 108 40.15%
Nadal 13-14 matches ahead. 25 9.29%
Nadal 11-12 matches ahead. 20 7.43%
Nadal 9-10 matches ahead. 20 7.43%
Nadal 7-8 matches ahead. 20 7.43%
Nadal 5-6 matches ahead. 19 7.06%
Nadal 3-4 matches ahead. 5 1.86%
Nadal 1-2 matches ahead. 1 0.37%
Equal 4 1.49%
Federer ahead 47 17.47%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 33
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
Back then nadull was a pure[B] moonballer [/B]not sure what he could have done outside RG but then you never know.
As for the question 2007 was better REAL competition. Not bend over berdych & a bunch of old tired players.
Luie, you are always quite rational, I am surprised to see you say Berdych "bent over". He certainly did not bend over in my opinion. Sure, the moment might have been too big for him, but he tried to win at least. Soderling too. He just could not hit through a living wall. None of Nadal's opponents in slam finals were "old and tired".

2007? Well, Federer beat Baghdatis, lost to Nadal in RG, got taken to the limit at Wimby and beat a choking Djokovic who was playing his first slam final. I am not sure how you can say Nadal's slam wins were less impressive than Fed's.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #167 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:02 AM
country flag HKz
Hakeem
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mesa
Posts: 5,234
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Answer is obvious. Statistically, Federer's 2007 year was better than Nadal's 2010. Everyone who is claiming Nadal's year is greater is just crafting theories which will never be resolved, just like the GOAT debate when people try to argue outside of the statistics. Fact is opinions are opinions. You will never be able to say xxx decade had stronger competition than xxx. And if you go by the facts and the statistics, then what Federer achieved in 2007 is clearly a bit better than Nadal's 2010. Saying QF/W/W/W is harder than W/F/W/W is just an opinion and will you never come to a conclusion with that.

Federer / Haas / Safin / Gaudio / Kuerten / Youzhny / Nadal / Gonzalez / Ljubicic / Hewitt / Soderling / Wawrinka / Coria / Nalbandian / Kohlschreiber
HKz is offline  
post #168 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Registered User
 
HarryMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,155
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Federer's 07 was greater than Nadal's 10. If Nadal had won the Masters cup then I would definitely vote for Nadal but Federer having won 4 out of 5 of the biggest events of the year and being the finalist in the only slam event he didn't win in 07, his 07 season was still better than Nadal's 10.
HarryMan is offline  
post #169 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Registered User
 
Macbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Posts: 1,225
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

From a purely technical standpoint Federer's is obviously (slightly) better. With Nadal's historic surface sweep, it's close enough to be an argument, but nothing more. Any notion that it's clearly Nadal's is pure fanboyism.

~The Mac

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline  
post #170 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 43
Posts: 9,146
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbrother View Post
From a purely technical standpoint Federer's is obviously (slightly) better. With Nadal's historic surface sweep, it's close enough to be an argument, but nothing more. Any notion that it's clearly Nadal's is pure fanboyism.
End of thread. Oh & fuck off Nadaltards.

EDIT: Unless you want to vote for me in the popularity contest. Then you don't have to fuck off at all.

Nadal is the GOAT. All that other stuff was just me messing around.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.

Last edited by Sophocles; 12-06-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Sophocles is offline  
post #171 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Age: 25
Posts: 665
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Fed`s season

Why not to compare nadal`s best season with Fed`s best????
2010nadul<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<2006Fedex x
its not even close, Federer 2006 win:loss was 92:6!!!!!!!!
nadul`s???????????????? haha
and nadul`s domination(if it even exists) is not like Fed`s

Federer is the G.O.A.T
nadul is d cheater

FEDERER
sabina_RF_lee is offline  
post #172 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,597
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbrother View Post
From a purely technical standpoint Federer's is obviously (slightly) better. With Nadal's historic surface sweep, it's close enough to be an argument, but nothing more. Any notion that it's clearly Nadal's is pure fanboyism.
It is certainly close comparing Federer 2007 and Nadal 2010.

Grand Slams:
Federer won 3 and 1 RU. Nadal won 3 and 1Qtr Final.
Federer has the better overall record, but Nadal won on 3 surfaces.
Very marginally Nadal.

Year End:
Federer won and Nadal RU.
Advantage Federer.

Master Series:

Federer 2. Nadal 3.
Advantage Nadal, but Federer won on clay and hard court. Nadal's were all on clay.

Total Tournaments
Federer won 8. Nadal won 7.
Advantage Federer.


Overall very similar years and little to split them despite the posts of the biased Federer and Nadal posters on this website claiming one to have had a clearly superior year. Except for Laver in 1968 no other player in the open era has achieved more in a year than either Federer in 2004, 2006 and 2007 and Nadal in 2010. Connors in 1974 and Wilander in 1988 being the only other player other than the 3 players already mentioned to win 3GS in a year in the open era.

My feeling is that by retirement Federer and Nadal will be considered by the objective poster to be the greatest two players of the open era. Obviously conditional on Nadal winning a lot more before he retires which at 24 which is not unrealistic.


Option 3 is the only sensible answer.
DrJules is offline  
post #173 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

i've always wondered why winning The Masters Cup doesnt count as a Masters Series shield
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #174 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 34
Posts: 3,468
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
It is certainly close comparing Federer 2007 and Nadal 2010.

Grand Slams:
Federer won 3 and 1 RU. Nadal won 3 and 1Qtr Final.
Federer has the better overall record, but Nadal won on 3 surfaces.
Very marginally Nadal.

Year End:
Federer won and Nadal RU.
Advantage Federer.

Master Series:

Federer 2. Nadal 3.
Advantage Nadal, but Federer won on clay and hard court. Nadal's were all on clay.

Total Tournaments
Federer won 8. Nadal won 7.
Advantage Federer.


Overall very similar years and little to split them despite the posts of the biased Federer and Nadal posters on this website claiming one to have had a clearly superior year. Except for Laver in 1968 no other player in the open era has achieved more in a year than either Federer in 2004, 2006 and 2007 and Nadal in 2010. Connors in 1974 and Wilander in 1988 being the only other player other than the 3 players already mentioned to win 3GS in a year in the open era.

My feeling is that by retirement Federer and Nadal will be considered by the objective poster to be the greatest two players of the open era. Obviously conditional on Nadal winning a lot more before he retires which at 24 which is not unrealistic.


Option 3 is the only sensible answer.

Nadal has quite a ways to go to be in discussion for top 2 greatest of the open era. Definitely needs more slams and most importantly more years as number 1. He is only 24 but hes also been around at the top since 18. So he does have a ton of mileage on his alrady. Not good when u have to factor in he needs more years as #1 considering all the tennis hes already played.

And im sorry but being #2 for all those years does not get him the running in Open era GOAT candidacy. You need multiple years at the TOP not 2nd to the top in being considered for GOAT. Hes at the top now but he needs another 3-4 years of what he produced in 2010
SetSampras is offline  
post #175 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Registered User
 
Macbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Posts: 1,225
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
Except for Laver in 1968 no other player in the open era has achieved more in a year than either Federer in 2004, 2006 and 2007 and Nadal in 2010. Connors in 1974 and Wilander in 1988 being the only other player other than the 3 players already mentioned to win 3GS in a year in the open era.
Sensible post overall, but let me give a shoutout to McEnroe here, who went an unprecedented 82-3, the best win% of the open era, and captured two of the big three slams at the time, losing only to Lendl in the final of the French.

~The Mac

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline  
post #176 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:00 AM
country flag sco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 662
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Is there any reason why the worse of Federer's 3 slam years was chosen for the poll? At Fed's peak, victory was almost taken for granted (sans Rafa - especially on clay). It wasn't just the wins but how thoroughly he dominated the competition. At question during those years was how many games the opponents would win. Rafa's 2010 does not have that feeling (except of course on clay).
sco is offline  
post #177 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 486
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Nadal's a believe is slightly more slam wise, because of the three in a row, but in total I'd go with Fed 2007. But Fed 2006 blows Nadal completely out the the water. How many losses, 4? That's insane.
RedHotRafa is offline  
post #178 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 02:06 AM
Registered User
 
cutesteve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,816
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Federer 2007
cutesteve22 is offline  
post #179 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Registered User
 
Macbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Posts: 1,225
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Is there any reason why the worse of Federer's 3 slam years was chosen for the poll? At Fed's peak, victory was almost taken for granted (sans Rafa - especially on clay). It wasn't just the wins but how thoroughly he dominated the competition. At question during those years was how many games the opponents would win. Rafa's 2010 does not have that feeling (except of course on clay).
Because it's a known fact that '04, '06 are clearly better and not worthy of debate. '07 is at least marginally arguable.

~The Mac

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline  
post #180 of 4037 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 706
                     
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
It is certainly close comparing Federer 2007 and Nadal 2010.

Grand Slams:
Federer won 3 and 1 RU. Nadal won 3 and 1Qtr Final.
Federer has the better overall record, but Nadal won on 3 surfaces.
Very marginally Nadal.

Year End:
Federer won and Nadal RU.
Advantage Federer.

Master Series:

Federer 2. Nadal 3.
Advantage Nadal, but Federer won on clay and hard court. Nadal's were all on clay.

Total Tournaments
Federer won 8. Nadal won 7.
Advantage Federer.
So your multisurface sucess is taken in account when talking about slams, but its not when talking about Master Series titles

Since both are tied in winning 3 slams on the same year...
Facts
Federer reached 4 (2007) grand slam finals Nadal 3 (2019). Avantage Federer.
Federer won TMC/YEC. Advantage Federer.
Federer won 8 tournaments, Nadal 7. Advantage Federer.
Year W/L record.. Advantage Federer.

In a Cheap attempt to help Nadal many can come up with the surface argument, but still both players won 3 slams, but a GS RU >>>> GS QF, and YEC W >> YEC RU... end of the story..

A service notice for Pete..

Little FEDERER, Roger (SUI) Versus Defending Wimbledon Champ Pete SAMPRAS (USA)
Year Tournament Round Surface Winner Score
2001 Wimbledon 16 Grass (O) R.FEDERER 7-6(7) 5-7 6-4 6-7(2) 7-5


Does he really believes this is the same Federer of then?
spencercarlos is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome