New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 AM
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 27
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Always wondered why when Roger is dominating the field, its a weak era, but when Rafa dominates on clay, he is the greatest Spartan clay warrior king of all time

Amazing record though, not just 8 titles, but 8 consecutive

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Registered User
 
Chase Visa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 21
Posts: 5,151
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Always wondered why when Roger is dominating the field, its a weak era, but when Rafa dominates on clay, he is the greatest Spartan clay warrior king of all time

Amazing record though, not just 8 titles, but 8 consecutive
It's only Nadaltards that say that. Us Fedtards are smart enough to respect both sides.

RIP Henry Chinaski. A true MTF legend
Chase Visa is offline  
post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered User
 
Nirjhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ghost Town
Posts: 4,292
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post
At Wimbledon this year, Nadal received an official warning from the chair umpire for being accused of receiving advice from Tony Nadal during his five-set match against Philipp Petzschner of Germany.

Toni Nadal does not deny that he offers advice from the box.

For those who didn't see(or believe this incident, whatever you say) it. Watch this video from 1:12 mins.

ROGER FEDERER

82 Titles Including 17 Grandslam, 23 Masters, 6 YEC and Counting.

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

The Greatest Player Ever to Play Tennis.
Nirjhor is offline  
post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
mystic ice cube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 28
Posts: 1,128
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Incredible record. Whether or not people hold this tournament in high regard or not, it just shows how dominant the Spaniard is on clay.

I love attacking tennis

FEDERER - DEL POTRO - DIMITROV
Tsonga Haas Nishikori Wawrinka
Cilic Djokovic Gulbis Kyrgios

Hewitt Soderling Roddick

mystic ice cube is offline  
post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered User
 
Sombrerero loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 26
Posts: 60,636
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

this is really unbelievable!

Henri KONTINEN

Jaume Pla Malfeito/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Tomas Pusic Whitmore

John Millman /Marcus Willis/Taro Daniel-Alex de Miñaur-Josh Milton


Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Javier Martí-Evan Hoyt-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Andres Artuñedo-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is online now  
post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 41
Posts: 8,986
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

It's weird to think that Sampras was just one Krajicek away from doing the same thing at Wimbledon.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered User
 
Mohdt89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 31
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

5 consecutive wimbledon and us open is way more impressive then this record
Mohdt89 is offline  
post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,940
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
It's weird to think that Sampras was just one Krajicek away from doing the same thing at Wimbledon.
He didn't though. You could say Nadal was one Soderling win away from having won RG 7 in a row - a much more physically demanding slam and one with far more specialists on the surface than on grass.

Same for Fed - he could have won US Open 09 and maybe even 10 - he was very close. He'd have had 7 in a row there.

The reason the 8 is so impressive is precisely because he's not had one bad day - and to me it's tougher in a best of 3 in some ways as it's easier to be upset by a hot opponent. If you're as great as Sampras was at Wimby or Nadal at RG then it's more of an achievement to beat you there than in a best of 3 event on grass/clay - the fact that Nadal hasn't lost 2 sets in a match at MC over 8 years is astounding. He's not even been close to losing. Been taken to a deciding set 4 times and won that 6-1 three times I think. The closest was Gasquet in 2005 (6-3/6-4 in the final set I think....).

It's a perfect match of man and surface. Since 2007 he's lost 2 sets - one to Djokovic, another to Murray.

It's not about saying that 5 Wimbledons or 5 US Opens in a row aren't impressive - they are. But winning 8 in a row of anything, in any sport is nigh on impossible.
Ash86 is offline  
post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 41
Posts: 8,986
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
He didn't though. You could say Nadal was one Soderling win away from having won RG 7 in a row - a much more physically demanding slam and one with far more specialists on the surface than on grass.

Same for Fed - he could have won US Open 09 and maybe even 10 - he was very close. He'd have had 7 in a row there.

The reason the 8 is so impressive is precisely because he's not had one bad day - and to me it's tougher in a best of 3 in some ways as it's easier to be upset by a hot opponent. If you're as great as Sampras was at Wimby or Nadal at RG then it's more of an achievement to beat you there than in a best of 3 event on grass/clay - the fact that Nadal hasn't lost 2 sets in a match at MC over 8 years is astounding. He's not even been close to losing. Been taken to a deciding set 4 times and won that 6-1 three times I think. The closest was Gasquet in 2005 (6-3/6-4 in the final set I think....).

It's a perfect match of man and surface. Since 2007 he's lost 2 sets - one to Djokovic, another to Murray.

It's not about saying that 5 Wimbledons or 5 US Opens in a row aren't impressive - they are. But winning 8 in a row of anything, in any sport is nigh on impossible.
Yes, good post. Nadal's domination at Monte Carlo is unprecedented in any tournament in the Open Era.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered User
 
Mohdt89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 31
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
He didn't though. You could say Nadal was one Soderling win away from having won RG 7 in a row - a much more physically demanding slam and one with far more specialists on the surface than on grass.

Same for Fed - he could have won US Open 09 and maybe even 10 - he was very close. He'd have had 7 in a row there.

The reason the 8 is so impressive is precisely because he's not had one bad day - and to me it's tougher in a best of 3 in some ways as it's easier to be upset by a hot opponent. If you're as great as Sampras was at Wimby or Nadal at RG then it's more of an achievement to beat you there than in a best of 3 event on grass/clay - the fact that Nadal hasn't lost 2 sets in a match at MC over 8 years is astounding. He's not even been close to losing. Been taken to a deciding set 4 times and won that 6-1 three times I think. The closest was Gasquet in 2005 (6-3/6-4 in the final set I think....).

It's a perfect match of man and surface. Since 2007 he's lost 2 sets - one to Djokovic, another to Murray.

It's not about saying that 5 Wimbledons or 5 US Opens in a row aren't impressive - they are. But winning 8 in a row of anything, in any sport is nigh on impossible.
its not impressive because clay game just need a stamina and run down every ball
Mohdt89 is offline  
post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 31
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohdt89 View Post
its not impressive because clay game just need a stamina and run down every ball
It's way harder than just serving all day like Sampras did
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered User
 
Mohdt89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 26
Posts: 31
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

serving good need you to be mentally there all the match,clay game just need the player to be there
Mohdt89 is offline  
post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 31
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohdt89 View Post
serving good need you to be mentally there all the match,clay game just need the player to be there
If it's so easy then how come some of the supposed all time greats fail at RG? If all it takes is to run down the ball, you'd think they'd be able to win at least one.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 13,400
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
He didn't though. You could say Nadal was one Soderling win away from having won RG 7 in a row - a much more physically demanding slam and one with far more specialists on the surface than on grass.
in the 90s grass and fast courts in general had more "specialists" than Nadal has had to face on clay.

On Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline  
post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 13,400
                     
Re: New records: Most consecutive wins at a tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
It's way harder than just serving all day like Sampras did
if its "way harder" how can so few players do it?

On Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
Nadal 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

TigerTim is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome