Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving? - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
evilmindbulgaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,341
                     
Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

From the current Top 100 I can only think of Kohlschreiber who only takes one ball when serving. If he needs to hit a second serve the ball kid throws him another ball.

What do you think about this in general? And what other current players do that?

If I remember correctly, Sampras used to do the same thing back in the days.

RAFAEL NADAL and GRIGOR DIMITROV

Rafa winning at least one slam in 10 consecutive years is the best achievement in Open Era tennis since Laver won all 4 Grand slam tournaments in the same year!


Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!
evilmindbulgaria is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 05:06 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 31
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

On the other weird ball habits, I remember watching WTA tennis long ago and Steffi Graf used to take two balls, but didn't put one down her panties like most WTA's do today but held on to it during the rally if her FS went it. I suppose the habit died due to prevalence of 2 handed backhands these days, but still it was amusing to watch back in the day. Wonder if any male players did it?
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 612
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

Mardy Fish and it's annoying as he often misses his first delivery
m9m9m9m9m9 is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Thermopylae Pass
Posts: 65,983
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

on another note, do you think there is a possibility to speed up the game if they were given just 1 serve?

will it speed up the game or will it slow it down? could such a change happen one day in the sport and why?
Clay Death is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:13 AM
Registered User
 
kiriri***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,367
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

Melzer and Youzhny are also.
kiriri*** is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:13 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 31
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
on another note, do you think there is a possibility to speed up the game if they were given just 1 serve?

will it speed up the game or will it slow it down? could such a change happen one day in the sport and why?
It would slow the game down because with 1 serve, players will just roll it in to start the point, fearing to miss and lose the point altogether and it will be 100% base line rallies. Players like Isner/Karlovic/Raonic would be playing in futures most likely.

With 2 serves, the possibility of player getting hot on serve exists (because of confidence he has that he still has second serve to hit) and winning service games in 1 minute which speeds up the match...Just watch some of Olderer's matches on grass from long ago when he got hot on serve. 1 minute service holds were a norm for him.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Thermopylae Pass
Posts: 65,983
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
It would slow the game down because with 1 serve, players will just roll it in to start the point, fearing to miss and lose the point altogether and it will be 100% base line rallies. Players like Isner/Karlovic/Raonic would be playing in futures most likely.

With 2 serves, the possibility of player getting hot on serve exists (because of confidence he has that he still has second serve to hit) and winning service games in 1 minute which speeds up the match...Just watch some of Olderer's matches on grass from long ago when he got hot on serve. 1 minute service holds were a norm for him.


too good and too funny. i think you are right. some players would be struggling at the futures level if their big serve was taken away.

and again you are right: time saved with having just 1 serve would be easily negated by the fact that they will all be spinning the serve in to start the rally.

there were some who said that it would speed up the game but i also fail to see how it can happen. perhaps it could happen 40-50 years ago but not today.



**one thing we can do is have an exo or 2 where they are allowed just one serve and see how it goes.

if we can have a 1/2 grass and 1/2 clay court for an exo then why not experiment with some other crazy ideas also.

Last edited by Clay Death; 04-15-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Clay Death is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
evilmindbulgaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,341
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

Welcome back, Topspindoctor!

I can't imagine the players only be given 1 serve. However, I have always been curious whether having the ball boy throw you a ball for every second serve does not disrupt your serving rhythm. Are those players wearing shorts without pockets

RAFAEL NADAL and GRIGOR DIMITROV

Rafa winning at least one slam in 10 consecutive years is the best achievement in Open Era tennis since Laver won all 4 Grand slam tournaments in the same year!


Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!
evilmindbulgaria is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 31
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

I am also of the opinion that taking away first serve (as much as it would please me to see all serve mugs go away) is a bad idea in a modern game, which is mostly played on slow hard courts. Can you imagine the injuries players will have if they have to win EVERY point from the baseline on slow HC (which is probably 10+ shots long)? Most players would be in a wheelchair by the time they hit 30 most likely.

People may flap their mouths about Federer's success due to his "economic gamestyle", but in reality it's his excellent serve that allows him to win matches quickly and wear himself down less. Federer with mediocre serve would have a broken body today, just like Hewitts, Nalbandians, Davydenkos etc.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Thermopylae Pass
Posts: 65,983
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

i doubt it disrupts their rhythm otherwise they would stop doing it.

i think it may just have to do with the fact that they can do it. it has probably become a habit with some.
Clay Death is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Thermopylae Pass
Posts: 65,983
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
I am also of the opinion that taking away first serve (as much as it would please me to see all serve mugs go away) is a bad idea in a modern game, which is mostly played on slow hard courts. Can you imagine the injuries players will have if they have to win EVERY point from the baseline on slow HC (which is probably 10+ shots long)? Most players would be in a wheelchair by the time they hit 30 most likely.

People may flap their mouths about Federer's success due to his "economic gamestyle", but in reality it's his excellent serve that allows him to win matches quickly and wear himself down less. Federer with mediocre serve would have a broken body today, just like Hewitts, Nalbandians, Davydenkos etc.

lot of people dont know this but fed has owned one of the biggest serves ever in the sport.

numbers do not lie: at the very height of his powers, he held serve nearly 90% of the time. he was 2nd only to the great southern ape (roddick).

and then he backed that up with his forehand and his skills at the net.


being able to take care of your serve 90% of the time is simply massive.
Clay Death is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,128
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

One first serve would make tennis the same as table tennis where a fault is a point. But there a game goes to 11 points whilst in tennis it goes to 4. Therefore, I can only conclude it'd be dumb.
Looner is online now  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmindbulgaria View Post
From the current Top 100 I can only think of Kohlschreiber who only takes one ball when serving. If he needs to hit a second serve the ball kid throws him another ball.

What do you think about this in general? And what other current players do that?

If I remember correctly, Sampras used to do the same thing back in the days.
yes sampras used to do the same thing......on the contrary steffi graf used to hold 2 balls in her palm while first-serving.....
Start da Game is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Registered User
 
DemiCrayanhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 205
                     
Re: Which of the current players ask for only one ball when serving?

I think it was Chris Evert in an interview who said the whole tugging the second ball into one's shorts began when the great Billie Jean complained to the umpire (at Wimby?) that Chris letting the ball drop distracted her during matchplay. Evert would do this so she could hit a two-handed backhand. I don't know how accurate this is but there you go.

If I remember this right, Chris was using this as an example of how the proactive players could change the rules of the game as opposed to today's women who simply bitch about the shriekers to press only. But, that's a whole different can of worms.

Roger Federer ~ Rafael Nadal

The Yin-Yang of Tennis

"Seemingly contrary forces which are not only interconnected and interdependent in the natural world, but only give rise to each other in turn."
DemiCrayanhan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome