WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Who will win this first round match in Miami?
Bubka in 2 4 33.33%
Gulbis in 2 2 16.67%
Bubka in 3 2 16.67%
Gulbis in 3 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sleeping in the house of my latest jumpoff.
Posts: 34,908
                     
WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

Bubka qualified into Indian Wells a few weeks ago and led 5-0 over Davydenko before collapsing, and qualified into the MD of Miami defeating Dutra Da Silva and Chiudinelli in straight sets. Gulbis has lost in the first round of four of five ATP tournaments this season and is 1-3 in Miami in his career. On paper, this should be a win for Gulbis, as Bubka generally struggles to beat top 100 players. But given Bubka qualifying here and having matches under him, and the confidence qualifying here will have given him, plus with Gulbis' overall lack of form, this match could easily end up being a surprise.

Who do you all think takes the win here? Vote up!
Filo V. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 AM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,775
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

What a battle of strategic tacticians. This match will be tennistic chess, each player carefully maneuvering the other out of position, slicing an approach down the line, and closing with a volley that Edberg would applaud.

No telling who wins this matchup of mentally tough giants of the game with more variety than a Swedish whore house.

I pick the jet-setting Eastern European in 3.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Registered User
 
mooncreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,059
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
What a battle of strategic tacticians. This match will be tennistic chess, each player carefully maneuvering the other out of position, slicing an approach down the line, and closing with a volley that Edberg would applaud.

No telling who wins this matchup of mentally tough giants of the game with more variety than a Swedish whore house.

I pick the jet-setting Eastern European in 3.
I don't know how you wrote all that without laughing.

That said, I pick the Swedish whore house expert in 3.

Andy Murray: 2012 Olympic gold and silver medalist. US Open Champ. Wimbledon champ. Never been prouder of him.

The Brian Baker Story. Proof that truth is stranger than fiction... until Hollywood buys the rights and proceeds to keep screwing the script up.
mooncreek is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Registered User
 
BroTree123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17,774
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

Bubka in 2. Gulbis is a fucking joke these days.

Quote:
Hian about himself
Quote:
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered User
 
Li Ching Yuen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Down Low.
Posts: 5,250
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
What a battle of strategic tacticians. This match will be tennistic chess, each player carefully maneuvering the other out of position, slicing an approach down the line, and closing with a volley that Edberg would applaud.

No telling who wins this matchup of mentally tough giants of the game with more variety than a Swedish whore house.

I pick the jet-setting Eastern European in 3.
Yes, because the whole of the ATP right now is full of silky smooth magicians of the tennis ball that thrive on variety and finesse of point construction. Or did you reach that conclusion by projecting yourself into the Top100 and thus re-adjusting the image of modern tennis in it's entirety?
Li Ching Yuen is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,775
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
Yes, because the whole of the ATP right now is full of silky smooth magicians of the tennis ball that thrive on variety and finesse of point construction. Or did you reach that conclusion by projecting yourself into the Top100 and thus re-adjusting the image of modern tennis in it's entirety?


Surely you know I was joking. Gulbis and Bubka strategic tacticians? Yes, and Blake is a master of of point construction

My game is a Federer style game, very aggressive, but with a better backhand and not so good serve.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Li Ching Yuen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Down Low.
Posts: 5,250
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post


Surely you know I was joking. Gulbis and Bubka strategic tacticians? Yes, and Blake is a master of of point construction

My game is a Federer style game, very aggressive, but with a better backhand and not so good serve.


The good thing is that sarcasm flies right past you.
Li Ching Yuen is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered User
 
Yves.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 23
Posts: 10,048
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

Two players with rich dads, interesting.
Yves. is online now  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 2,295
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves. View Post
Two players with rich dads, interesting.
And from post-russian countries very interesting.
Hellraiser is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered User
 
myrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 577
                     
Re: WWW Miami R1: [Q] Bubka vs Gulbis

DO they have Azarenka in common?
myrt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome