Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now? - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: ?
Yes, S&V is for mugs 43 17.34%
No, wish S&V came back 160 64.52%
Neutral 45 18.15%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Tsonga,Djokovic
 
SelvenluvJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 1,909
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Usually I hate serve&volley players, because these players always give tough matchup to my favorites.But in the very ending I think I like this play style ,it makes tennis various.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic35940_9.gif
SelvenluvJo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
I'd like to know how many YouTube clips you've seen.

Clownpras. You make me laugh.
Sampras RG finals: 0

Bageled by Clownfelnikov as well

Serve got exposed on slow courts every year.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #153 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Registered User
 
GOAT = Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,091
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Feelsbadman to see s/v becoming extinct. Although it is annoying to see 1/2 shot rallies all the time, as is the case with s/v, it is equally as frustrating to see 15-20 shot rallies quite frequently. A balance needs to be found so that both styles can be employed effectively.
GOAT = Fed is offline  
post #154 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered User
 
GOAT = Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,091
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Sampras RG finals: 0

Bageled by Clownfelnikov as well

Serve got exposed on slow courts every year.
So please remind me since when did RG performances become the sole criterion by which you determine a player's career by.

Thanks and I await to hear your response.

And please TDoc....

....

Stay safe.
GOAT = Fed is offline  
post #155 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Its not about RG, it's about adapting to your weak surface and prevailing there. Sampras was a clay clown who tried to S&V his way to title despite the fact that it was obviously a fail tactic.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #156 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Registered User
 
GOAT = Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,091
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

So does that also hold true for Nadal as he didn't adopt in Madrid last week and reguarly falters at indoor events? Using your logic he shalt be renamed clowndal, right?
GOAT = Fed is offline  
post #157 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Nadal : career gs
Sampras : no career GS

On the big stage Nadal brought out his best, Sampras didn't
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #158 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Registered User
 
GOAT = Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,091
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Nadal : career gs
Sampras : no career GS

On the big stage Nadal brought out his best, Sampras didn't
So you are using RG performances as the sole criterion for judging a players career? Because you just said a moment ago that you were calling out Mcenroe and Samprass because they failed to adopt, yet I just countered your argument by using you God and you've gone back to using RG performances.

And lettuce beef real tea here, winning a career GS has lost it's aura since all the courts play at pretty much the same speed.

Also u aware?
GOAT = Fed is offline  
post #159 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 AM
Registered User
 
Shinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: My Flag
Posts: 4,365
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Seles is a Mindless ball basher, Its Clownpras not Sampras, and Clownfelnikov.

This TrollDoctor is having a Climax before getting banned.
Shinoj is offline  
post #160 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London (sadly)
Posts: 14,653
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

When was the last time a serve volley even made it deep into a grand slam? Such a shame it's died.

On Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
1. Murray wins Wimbledon 2016 after Djokovic is blue shelled by Querrey. Thanks Querrey!

2. Murray wins Olympic Gold for the second time after Djokovic is blue shelled by Del Potro. Thanks Del Potro!

3. Murray wins US Open 2016 after Djokovic is blue shelled by [pending]. Thanks [pending]!

TigerTim is offline  
post #161 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
So you are using RG performances as the sole criterion for judging a players career? Because you just said a moment ago that you were calling out Mcenroe and Samprass because they failed to adopt, yet I just countered your argument by using you God and you've gone back to using RG performances.

And lettuce beef real tea here, winning a career GS has lost it's aura since all the courts play at pretty much the same speed.

Also u aware?
Lol what?

I am calling out the so called all time greats failure to adapt to a particular surface. In both of their cases it happens to be RG. If Sampras won RG 10 times but didn't win wimby or USO, I would present exactly the same argument.

Career GS has lost no meaning. Only clueless nostalgia tards think otherwise. If it's so easy, why have only 2 players (both all time greats) managed to do it?
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #162 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Registered User
 
orangehat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,504
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Lol what?

I am calling out the so called all time greats failure to adapt to a particular surface. In both of their cases it happens to be RG. If Sampras won RG 10 times but didn't win wimby or USO, I would present exactly the same argument.

Career GS has lost no meaning. Only clueless nostalgia tards think otherwise. If it's so easy, why have only 2 players (both all time greats) managed to do it?
of course TsD thinks tennis only started in 2006.

I really wouldn't need to say anything else but just consider this.

It was an accomplishment 10 years ago to be a millionaire, much less so today.
Just because you achieve the same thing does not mean the accomplishment is the same anymore

Tennis Tipping

Singles: (--/10) Finals: 1-5 ATP, 3-1 Challengers
W: Rotterdam '12
Slams:1R,3R,3R,QF

Doubles: (--/5) Finals: 3-4 ATP, 8-7 Challengers
W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty)
Slams:2R,3R,QF,W
orangehat is offline  
post #163 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Being a millionaire isn't the same anymore due to inflation.

If anything winning a CGS is much harder and more prestigious today because this is one of the strongest eras ever.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #164 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,907
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Lol what?

I am calling out the so called all time greats failure to adapt to a particular surface. In both of their cases it happens to be RG. If Sampras won RG 10 times but didn't win wimby or USO, I would present exactly the same argument.

Career GS has lost no meaning. Only clueless nostalgia tards think otherwise. If it's so easy, why have only 2 players (both all time greats) managed to do it?
Dougie is offline  
post #165 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered User
 
Allez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

They ought to speed up everything after the French Open. That will get all the serve and volleyers crawling out of the woodwork. Might even tempt Mario Ancic out of retirement. Mark Philippoussis too
Allez is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome