Is th REAL big four back? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 13,308
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibracadabra View Post
As stated, del potro reached number four in the world before his wrist injury took a year from him. Without the injury it's safe to say murray would easily be knocked out of the top 4.
I expect this sort of nonsense from a Murray hater.

Del Potro will never be consistent enough to be in the top 4 for a sustained period.
Clydey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 11,581
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I expect this sort of nonsense from a Murray hater.

Del Potro will never be consistent enough to be in the top 4 for a sustained period.
Clydey, I agree with you. sure DP won a slam but I really believe that Murray is so much more consistent than DP. I really like both players...I hope that Murray will win his first slam this year . sure a Nole fan here but I like Andy so much.
Alex999 is offline  
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,203
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I expect this sort of nonsense from a Murray hater.

Del Potro will never be consistent enough to be in the top 4 for a sustained period.
Your point has merit but at least give Pony a few more injury free years before you say that. He has the mental game to do it but big guys usually never stay at the top for sustained periods.

Ajde.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 PM
King of Queens
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 41,595
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

The real Big 4? They've been the Big 4 for quite a while now. I don't really know what Del Potro has to do with this. He can't even reach slam semi-finals anymore, let alone reach the top 4.

ANDY MURRAY

SLAMS: 3 WINS, 8 finals, 9 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
WORLD TOUR FINALS: 3 semi-finals...
MASTERS: 12 WINS, 6 finals, 13 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
OLYMPICS: 2 gold medals, 1 silver...
DAVIS CUP: 2016 champion...
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 602-172...
TITLES: 39 and counting...
Sapeod is offline  
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM
King of Queens
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 41,595
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibracadabra View Post
Still top 4. The next 4 tournaments will illustrate this point.
Same old crap.

ANDY MURRAY

SLAMS: 3 WINS, 8 finals, 9 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
WORLD TOUR FINALS: 3 semi-finals...
MASTERS: 12 WINS, 6 finals, 13 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
OLYMPICS: 2 gold medals, 1 silver...
DAVIS CUP: 2016 champion...
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 602-172...
TITLES: 39 and counting...
Sapeod is offline  
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Registered User
 
Vida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,582
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

until murray wins a slam this "big 4" label just doesnt sound right.

reliability...
Vida is offline  
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
King of Queens
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 41,595
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
until murray wins a slam this "big 4" label just doesnt sound right.
Clearly it does. How many points is he ahead of the #5? A lot. How many points is he behind Federer? Not a lot. Federer hasn't won a slam since the Australian Open in 2010, so what's your point? I'm guessing Federer doesn't deserve to be in the Big 4 either, right? No, of course he does. We can use past achievements when it comes to Federer because he's won slams, right? Ha, what a load of nonsense. It's insulting to group Federer with those top 2 just because he's won slams in the past, when currently he is doing pretty much the same as Murray.

ANDY MURRAY

SLAMS: 3 WINS, 8 finals, 9 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
WORLD TOUR FINALS: 3 semi-finals...
MASTERS: 12 WINS, 6 finals, 13 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
OLYMPICS: 2 gold medals, 1 silver...
DAVIS CUP: 2016 champion...
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 602-172...
TITLES: 39 and counting...
Sapeod is offline  
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered User
 
Vida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,582
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Clearly it does. How many points is he ahead of the #5? A lot. How many points is he behind Federer? Not a lot. Federer hasn't won a slam since the Australian Open in 2010, so what's your point? I'm guessing Federer doesn't deserve to be in the Big 4 either, right? No, of course he does. We can use past achievements when it comes to Federer because he's won slams, right? Ha, what a load of nonsense. It's insulting to group Federer with those top 2 just because he's won slams in the past, when currently he is doing pretty much the same as Murray.
feds got 16 slams, some people even call him the GOAT, so of course hes in the "big whatever" class, regardless of the fact he hasnt won any recently. andy doesnt have one. no comparison really.

reliability...
Vida is offline  
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 PM
King of Queens
 
Sapeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 21
Posts: 41,595
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
feds got 16 slams, some people even call him the GOAT, so of course hes in the "big whatever" class, regardless of the fact he hasnt won any recently. andy doesnt have one. no comparison really.
Uh, no. If he hasn't won any slams recently, then he should't be given any special treatment because he has won slams. He's done pretty much the same as Murray in the past year. Murray has done better in slams actually. It's all about slams, right?

ANDY MURRAY

SLAMS: 3 WINS, 8 finals, 9 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
WORLD TOUR FINALS: 3 semi-finals...
MASTERS: 12 WINS, 6 finals, 13 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
OLYMPICS: 2 gold medals, 1 silver...
DAVIS CUP: 2016 champion...
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 602-172...
TITLES: 39 and counting...
Sapeod is offline  
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered User
 
Vida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,582
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Uh, no. If he hasn't won any slams recently, then he should't be given any special treatment because he has won slams. He's done pretty much the same as Murray in the past year. Murray has done better in slams actually. It's all about slams, right?
no its about "big" and you cant be that without slams.

reliability...
Vida is offline  
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 PM
country flag HKz
Hakeem
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mesa
Posts: 5,234
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
I love Juan Martin but he really has no business being included in this big four over Murray. One fluke (yes, it was ) slam win over Federer does not negate the fact that Murray has had a lot better career results. Results are what makes a player, not what-ifs and what-mights. Delpo can claim a slam, but he still has no Masters title and has yet to follow up his slam final with another one. Murray may not have a slam, but he has a ton of other results that speak to his ranking.
Bit harsh to say, yes things fell in his favor, and yes Del Potro was extremely fortunate with his run and winning the second set. Remember, the incorrect call that was made against Del Potro who waited forever to challenge the call and rattle Federer. Yes, the correct call was eventually made thanks to technology, but one must admit he was quite fortunate.

Either way, his success was not a fluke. Big hitters like him are bound to strike gold here and there. I mean he had beaten Nadal three times in a row and followed up the US Open win with that final in London beating Federer again along the way. Maybe he wouldn't win a slam again, but to say he wouldn't have been just as good if not better of a top 5/4 player as Murray is pretty silly. I mean fluke or not, Murray still isn't able to win a slam despite having all those SF/F opportunities. Murray would have had the same path (Del Potro > Nadal > Federer) at that year's US Open had he beaten Cilic, but he failed. IMO it is extremely unfortunate for Juan Martin and I believe he would have been a consistent number 4. I mean despite the injury, he still nearly made the QFs in Australia.

Federer / Haas / Safin / Gaudio / Kuerten / Youzhny / Nadal / Gonzalez / Ljubicic / Hewitt / Soderling / Wawrinka / Coria / Nalbandian / Kohlschreiber
HKz is offline  
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,028
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
feds got 16 slams, some people even call him the GOAT, so of course hes in the "big whatever" class, regardless of the fact he hasnt won any recently. andy doesnt have one. no comparison really.
For once, you're on the money

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Registered User
 
Juan Ma Del Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 533
                     
Re: Is th REAL big four back?

Come on guys, I'm a huge Delpo fan but I think it's a big insult to say that Murray is undeserving of the #4 spot right now. Yes it's unfortunate that Delpo got injured and lost a good 2 years of his career (I say 2011 was a "claw his way back to Top 10" year, which is pretty sad b/c he was already Top 5 at the time of the injury) but Murray was already more consistent than Delpo before the injury at Masters and such and then again after the injury as well. Now if Delpo wins another Slam before Murray wins his first and rises to #5 some time this year, then I think we might be able to say that Delpo is more "deserving" of the "Big 4" title than Murray is. But even that is uncertain, and right now Murray deserves his spot in the Top 4 for sure.
Juan Ma Del Pony is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome