Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Change net hit rule to be consistent during service and play
Consistently play a let in either case 2 8.00%
Consistently have no let in either case 4 16.00%
Inconsistency remains - no change in rule. 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,420
                     
Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

Proposed Rule Change in Professional Tennis:

Currently, a ball that hits the net during the service but still legally hits inside the service box is played as a let service (start the service over again). However, a ball that hits the net during normal play after the service does not result in a let point. Should the rules change to treat service and normal play net hits equally? If so, how should they change? Should both types of hits not result in a let, or should both types of hits result in a let?

Please give your opinion of why you believe a particular change should be made or not and its affect on the game.

-masterclass

Last edited by masterclass; 12-26-2011 at 06:13 PM.
masterclass is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
Certinfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 44,876
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

I remember Peter Fleming talking about this and how they should just screw the let rule with the serve. Would make the game a little more interesting I guess too...
Certinfy is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

I agree with you
Saberq is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13,031
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

screw the let thing when serving

would make the game more dynamic and more interesting

abraxas21 is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
screw the let thing when serving

would make the game more dynamic and more interesting
Imagine reactions when some mug hit's a let on a break point and it falls in
Saberq is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13,031
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

on second thought, abolishing the let rule on serve would put the server at disadvantage.

maybe it would be better to keep things as they currently are...

abraxas21 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,567
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

I prefer it the way it is. Bad proposal.
paseo is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,420
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

Some things to think about (please offer anything additional thoughts):

I think the good news is that this rule change would have little or no affect on historical records.
This gives it a higher chance of being implemented.

1. Call a let during normal play or service (play stops immediately):
Pros: Players won't be using up energy rushing, changing direction, making off-balanced or mis-timed shots and risking injury. Players won't need to "apologize" for hitting the net and winning a "cheap" point. Players won't lose points because of a ball that hits the net and is not returnable.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Allowing more lets during normal play will result in slower overall play.

2. Have no let calls in service or normal play (play continues):

Pros: Don't need a net judge or machine. No disputes of whether the machine is accurately calibrated (sometimes a machine seems to register air displacement rather than actual contact). It could make the service more exciting. Players will have to play a service that hits the net. Generally will speed up play.
Cons: More "cheap" points and "apologies".

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): More aces. New statistic - a net ace - when the ball is not returnable on serve because of the net. A serve that hits the net and is a sitting duck will favor the returner, a serve that hits the net and drops over or significantly changes direction will favor the server. A serve that barely touches the net, not significantly changing the flight of the ball, will result in more aces and service winners than before. Therefore, a good case can be made that this rule change will generally favor the server.

3. No change:
Pros: Players and fans don't have to learn a new rule.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Players still get "cheap" points during normal play. Play is slower.

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): Same old rules and play.
masterclass is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered User
 
EddieNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 51
Posts: 3,553
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

It should stay how it is. People are forgetting you serve from a privileged position, nowadays it's more like smashing from the baseline. It would be slightly unfair to take away the let rule, because a serve with a changed trajectory is almost unreturnable.
EddieNero is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,907
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Imagine reactions when some mug hit's a let on a break point and it falls in
How would that be different to a mug hitting the netcord with his return on a break point and getting the break that way..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Some things to think about (please offer anything additional thoughts):

I think the good news is that this rule change would have little or no affect on historical records.
This gives it a higher chance of being implemented.

1. Call a let during normal play or service (play stops immediately):
Pros: Players won't be using up energy rushing, changing direction, making off-balanced or mis-timed shots and risking injury. Players won't need to "apologize" for hitting the net and winning a "cheap" point. Players won't lose points because of a ball that hits the net and is not returnable.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Allowing more lets during normal play will result in slower overall play.

2. Have no let calls in service or normal play (play continues):

Pros: Don't need a net judge or machine. No disputes of whether the machine is accurately calibrated (sometimes a machine seems to register air displacement rather than actual contact). It could make the service more exciting. Players will have to play a service that hits the net. Generally will speed up play.
Cons: More "cheap" points and "apologies".

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): More aces. New statistic - a net ace - when the ball is not returnable on serve because of the net. A serve that hits the net and is a sitting duck will favor the returner, a serve that hits the net and drops over or significantly changes direction will favor the server. A serve that barely touches the net, not significantly changing the flight of the ball, will result in more aces and service winners than before. Therefore, a good case can be made that this rule change will generally favor the server.

3. No change:
Pros: Players and fans don't have to learn a new rule.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Players still get "cheap" points during normal play. Play is slower.

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): Same old rules and play.

Are you seriously suggesting that players are risking injuries because of shots that bounce off the letcord?? Come on, the game is fast anyway, there ar plenty of reactionary shots and changes of direction anyway. These guys are professional athletes, rushing the net and hitting off-balanced shots is part of the job.
As for the apologising, it´s just an old habit, a polite gesture to show your hand or wave the racquet a bit. It´s not a pro or a con, players do that also when they hit an unintentional winner, or get a lucky bounce from the frame of the racquet.
Dougie is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
country flag HKz
Hakeem
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mesa
Posts: 5,234
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Some things to think about (please offer anything additional thoughts):

I think the good news is that this rule change would have little or no affect on historical records.
This gives it a higher chance of being implemented.

1. Call a let during normal play or service (play stops immediately):
Pros: Players won't be using up energy rushing, changing direction, making off-balanced or mis-timed shots and risking injury. Players won't need to "apologize" for hitting the net and winning a "cheap" point. Players won't lose points because of a ball that hits the net and is not returnable.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Allowing more lets during normal play will result in slower overall play.

2. Have no let calls in service or normal play (play continues):

Pros: Don't need a net judge or machine. No disputes of whether the machine is accurately calibrated (sometimes a machine seems to register air displacement rather than actual contact). It could make the service more exciting. Players will have to play a service that hits the net. Generally will speed up play.
Cons: More "cheap" points and "apologies".

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): More aces. New statistic - a net ace - when the ball is not returnable on serve because of the net. A serve that hits the net and is a sitting duck will favor the returner, a serve that hits the net and drops over or significantly changes direction will favor the server. A serve that barely touches the net, not significantly changing the flight of the ball, will result in more aces and service winners than before. Therefore, a good case can be made that this rule change will generally favor the server.

3. No change:
Pros: Players and fans don't have to learn a new rule.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Players still get "cheap" points during normal play. Play is slower.

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): Same old rules and play.
Rofl..

Federer / Haas / Safin / Gaudio / Kuerten / Youzhny / Nadal / Gonzalez / Ljubicic / Hewitt / Soderling / Wawrinka / Coria / Nalbandian / Kohlschreiber
HKz is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:37 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 27
Posts: 42,256
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

Yes, those service let cords make the game so much longer, those extra 7 seconds, man, I could build Versailles in that time!

Seriously, though, don't change anything. They've already done this in NCAA tennis, and it is the dumbest rule in history. It is basically change for the sake of change at the expense of massive amounts of luck and cheapness. I've watched tennis matches in college be decided by a break point save on a 2nd serve that hits the net and dribbles over. The other guy smashed his racquet he was so pissed, and I couldn't blame him.

Imagine if this rule is instituted and decided match point in the finals of a grand slam. There would be anarchy.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
country flag HKz
Hakeem
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mesa
Posts: 5,234
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
Yes, those service let cords make the game so much longer, those extra 7 seconds, man, I could build Versailles in that time!

Seriously, though, don't change anything. They've already done this in NCAA tennis, and it is the dumbest rule in history. It is basically change for the sake of change at the expense of massive amounts of luck and cheapness. I've watched tennis matches in college be decided by a break point save on a 2nd serve that hits the net and dribbles over. The other guy smashed his racquet he was so pissed, and I couldn't blame him.

Imagine if this rule is instituted and decided match point in the finals of a grand slam. There would be anarchy.
Well if you look at it that way, it is no difference than hitting a lucky return that also dribbles off the net.

I think the main reasoning is that the system isn't broken to begin with so why change it. At least gets each and every point to at least start out for the most part elegantly.

Federer / Haas / Safin / Gaudio / Kuerten / Youzhny / Nadal / Gonzalez / Ljubicic / Hewitt / Soderling / Wawrinka / Coria / Nalbandian / Kohlschreiber
HKz is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,420
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
How would that be different to a mug hitting the netcord with his return on a break point and getting the break that way..?




Are you seriously suggesting that players are risking injuries because of shots that bounce off the letcord?? Come on, the game is fast anyway, there ar plenty of reactionary shots and changes of direction anyway. These guys are professional athletes, rushing the net and hitting off-balanced shots is part of the job.
As for the apologising, it´s just an old habit, a polite gesture to show your hand or wave the racquet a bit. It´s not a pro or a con, players do that also when they hit an unintentional winner, or get a lucky bounce from the frame of the racquet.
Yes, of course, rushing the net and hitting off-balanced shots is part of the job, but surely this would add even more of that type of play, and logically would tend to increase injuries vs. not having to play the shot at all. Whether that increase in risk is acceptable or not, because "these guys are professional athletes", is a different question. Perhaps the increase in excitement the play would generate would outweigh the increased risk of injury.

> Apologizing... I guess it depends on one's point of view. Players are normally halfheartedly apologizing because the net helped determine the outcome, but I would say that most are still quite happy they won the point. So if the net can no longer help determine the outcome, than that means there is one less reason for making a halfhearted apology. That is a small plus to me.

I welcome suggestions of other more significant pros or cons.

-masterclass
masterclass is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,420
                     
Re: Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
Yes, those service let cords make the game so much longer, those extra 7 seconds, man, I could build Versailles in that time!

Seriously, though, don't change anything. They've already done this in NCAA tennis, and it is the dumbest rule in history. It is basically change for the sake of change at the expense of massive amounts of luck and cheapness. I've watched tennis matches in college be decided by a break point save on a 2nd serve that hits the net and dribbles over. The other guy smashed his racquet he was so pissed, and I couldn't blame him.

Imagine if this rule is instituted and decided match point in the finals of a grand slam. There would be anarchy.
Mind you, I have made no recommendations one way or another. I'm purely interested in other people's opinions and reasoning, especially regarding the inconsistency of calling lets on service but not during normal play. Especially because if one argues as to the cheapness of getting points on service, then it seems that similar logic should hold for normal play.

So I'm curious as to how people react to option 1. which is calling a let during normal play (as well as on service) and replaying the point so that players don't win cheap points during normal play.

I was hoping someone would bring up the NCAA tennis usage. Thanks Groove

-masterclass
masterclass is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome