Winning Ugly - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Age: 24
Posts: 30
                     
Winning Ugly

Do you think there could be another Brad Gilbert type of player. He had very little talent, but was in phenomenal shape and had a playing style that bothered many people. Could a player like him crack the top ten ?
TENNISCRACK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 AM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

I thought he was better then Roddick to be honest.. Maybe Roddick should have kept him around as a coach.

Awesome tennis here and he takes out Becker at the peak of his powers in 5 sets at the USO

Between BEcker and Gilbert in '87 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwC_2kSVyRE Roddick only wishes he could have attacked the net and hit some lobs and had a running FH like that.

The dude had some talent

Last edited by SetSampras; 12-01-2011 at 06:31 AM.
SetSampras is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

It's harder for that sort of player to emerge in today's contemporary state of the game. The ever increasing racquet technology and homogenisation of the surfaces greatly benefits the ballbashing type of player. That's why there's an influx of them in the top 100 now. Today, the default style is to stay on or behind the baseline and bash the ball from side to side. This is now being taught from the juniors up and is very hard to overcome.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Registered User
 
EddieNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 51
Posts: 3,553
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Are you kidding me? Ugliness is the main style of winning nowadays. Breaking Top 10? What about Del Potro, Soderling, Berdych?
Hardly any of them play aesthetically.
EddieNero is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 536
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
Are you kidding me? Ugliness is the main style of winning nowadays. Breaking Top 10? What about Del Potro, Soderling, Berdych?
Hardly any of them play aesthetically.
I don't think this thread is about your personal taste of aesthetical players (which is pretty screwed up imho if you don't enjoy risky tennis like those three display). I think it's more about a player who cracks the top 10 not by hitting talent, but by great fighting abilities and mental game. I think in the current top 10 Ferrer is as close as you can get to such a player, but generally I think he's extremly talented too. Don't see any player near top 10 who I'd describe as "very little talented" tbh.
Globetrotter is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 402
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
I thought he was better then Roddick to be honest.. Maybe Roddick should have kept him around as a coach.

Awesome tennis here and he takes out Becker at the peak of his powers in 5 sets at the USO

Between BEcker and Gilbert in '87 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwC_2kSVyRE Roddick only wishes he could have attacked the net and hit some lobs and had a running FH like that.

The dude had some talent
That clip was embarrassing for Becker. What a clown. It just shows how mentally weak that generation was when paired against a super mentally tough club level player. No wonder Sampras had no strong rivals.

Gilbert was fun to watch and root for. I still think the mental side of the game is extremely important, so yes, there could be more players in the future who have more mental strength than physical talent. Hewitt was a hybrid version in recent times. Nowadays you need a lot more tennis ability because the field is much stronger and not filled with mental midgets like Boris.
eduggs is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduggs View Post
That clip was embarrassing for Becker. What a clown. It just shows how mentally weak that generation was when paired against a super mentally tough club level player. No wonder Sampras had no strong rivals.

Gilbert was fun to watch and root for. I still think the mental side of the game is extremely important, so yes, there could be more players in the future who have more mental strength than physical talent. Hewitt was a hybrid version in recent times. Nowadays you need a lot more tennis ability because the field is much stronger and not filled with mental midgets like Boris.
Becker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, Monfils, Blake, Berdych, Tsonga, Gonzales, Baghaditis, Ljubicic, Murray..........................etc.


SetSampras is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 402
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

I think Murray could be a modern version of Gilbert if he could keep his emotions in check. He can definitely get under an opponent's skin and give them a rope to hang themselves with.
eduggs is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 402
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Becker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, Monfils, Blake, Berdych, Tsonga, Gonzales, Baghaditis, Ljubicic, Murray..........................etc.


Wait, did you watch that clip? The over 40 ladies at my club play better than that. I thought strong players were supposed to rise to the occasion on the grandest of stages? US OPEN. He clearly is and was just a mug. End of story.
eduggs is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduggs View Post
Wait, did you watch that clip? The over 40 ladies at my club play better than that. I thought strong players were supposed to rise to the occasion on the grandest of stages? US OPEN. He clearly is and was just a mug. End of story.
Me too... So why is it Roddick only has 1 slam, Hewitt only with 2, Murray with 0, Safin only with 2, Tsonga, BErdych, Monfils, Davydenko, Nalbandian and down the line with a big ZERO.

Becker has 6
SetSampras is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Lurrrkin'
 
Sham Kay Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 16,478
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Apart from Federer, everyone in the top 10 wins ugly often. Especially Nadal.. The man epitomises ugly. As does his winning.

So someone recently informed me that my sig was empty. Said I needed a life affirming motivational quote by a positive role model like Einstein or Oscar Wilde...

Great tip to stay fit and mobile: If you run up and down the stairs two steps at a time at least once daily, there will never come a time when you can't do it. Until of course one day you mistime a step, collapse and break all your bones... That would suck. But you had a good run.

-Drunk Fitness nerd at the gym
Sham Kay Adams is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,907
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Apart from Federer, everyone in the top 10 wins ugly often. Especially Nadal.. The man epitomises ugly. As does his winning.
Read the book. You obviously have no idea what "Winning Ugly" means.
Dougie is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Nahh.. You want to see winning "ugly" look at Fed these past few years.. Wimbledon 09, the YEC this year and down the line............
SetSampras is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 402
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Me too... So why is it Roddick only has 1 slam, Hewitt only with 2, Murray with 0, Safin only with 2, Tsonga, BErdych, Monfils, Davydenko, Nalbandian and down the line with a big ZERO.

Becker has 6
Because Federer stopped them.

In the 80s when Becker accumulated his slams, guys could not handle his power game. But in the 90s, the era of Pete, Becker no longer dominated. Becker was never a legitimate rival of Sampras except late season indoors. Go back and check.
eduggs is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 402
                     
Re: Winning Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Me too... So why is it Roddick only has 1 slam, Hewitt only with 2, Murray with 0, Safin only with 2, Tsonga, BErdych, Monfils, Davydenko, Nalbandian and down the line with a big ZERO.

Becker has 6
Federer has defeated everyone of those players late in slams or in finals. They are/were all capable of winning those titles (with the possible exception of Monfils). IF not for Federer's consistent domination, we would have a generation of slam winners - probably at least a half dozen different guys.
eduggs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome