WTF Format - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: What should the WTF format be?
Round Robin - Current system 27 79.41%
16 Draw Knock-Out - My suggestion 4 11.76%
Other 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MrExcel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
Posts: 793
                     
WTF Format

After biting my tongue for long enough I've decided to ask for opinions on the WTF Round Robin format (apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere).

For me, this supposedly being the fifth biggest tournament of the year, where every match deserves to be meaningful, with importance and relevance. Yet we frequently get meaningless/dead matches for one or both of the players involved. We are also left working out numerous permutations mid-way through the tournament with a players' fate possibly resting in someone else's hands or perhaps the player only needing to win a certain number of sets/games to progress. Should all this really happen at the end of season tournament, second only to the Grand Slams?

I personally hate Round Robin in tennis, full stop. For all the reasons above and also that individual sports should be gladitorial, knock-out based compeitions, no second chances when you lose.

So what would be better? Again, personally, I would like to see a knock-out draw, but obviously 8 players would not be enough to make it a tournament. Therefore I'd go with the Top 16 players, with 8 seeds, the rest randomly drawn. As for the doubles, knock-out also, 8 teams, 4 seeds, which makes the draw half the size of the singles (as it is at all other tournaments).

You could then make the World Tour Finals a six-day event (which would make sense as it directly follows Paris from next year) with the first two days being singles only, doubles starting on Day 3.

Below is a mock-up version of what could have happened this year (scores based on actual WTF results or recent matches).

For me this would be a great event, each session featuring top quality matches, and each match meaningful.

So... Do you like the current Round Robin system, my suggestion of a 16 draw knock-out, or something else?

Would be very interesting to get your views!

Thanks




MrExcel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,311
                     
Re: WTF Format

Just because of the results in your hypothetical draw, your idea is stupid as anyone who knows anything about tennis would say Djoko would have beaten Federer. So this whole thread is a waste of space.
Looner is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered User
 
samanosuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 20,359
                     
Re: WTF Format

No . It has to be special for something .And with this format nobody guarantees that you'll have blockbuster matches .It's also intrigue that you can win a tournament with 2 defeats . It's just like it has to be for the end of the season

La Undécima
samanosuke is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered User
 
Nirjhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ghost Town
Posts: 4,292
                     
Re: WTF Format

If current system changes, anybody could be the winner of WTF. Would it be good if Dolgopolov or Simon wins this tournament? IMO, no. So Round-Robin system is good for WTF. So a player has to play against at least three+ of top eight players. And during the whole season, other players who aren't in top 8 would try to be one of top 8 to play in WTF. It is interesting and competitive.

ROGER FEDERER

82 Titles Including 17 Grandslam, 23 Masters, 6 YEC and Counting.

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

The Greatest Player Ever to Play Tennis.
Nirjhor is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered User
 
MaxPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 32
Posts: 7,805
                     
Re: WTF Format

Agree. To me WTF is the "playoffs" of the season. It's supposed to be do or die. Just like in all playoffs the favorites should be in danger to crash and burn. That's the charm of all playoffs and even cup formats like in the world cups/olympics and so on that are even more rare than WTF. It's do or die and there could be surprises and flops. That makes it exciting and special. A big fat flop or an unexpected winner can sometimes be way more entertaining than guaranteed meetings between #1-#8 that we have seen all season anyway.

I don't think Round Robin is horrible but if they want to keep it the system must change. Maybe make a win count as 3p and a loss winning 1 set give 1p.
Then simply most points reach the SF. Now a player can go through with 2 losses and worse set ratio because the one win is vs the right player. Winning sets must matter so player really fight always. Every set should count. And then even have game ratio as an additional tiebreaker so it gets costly to be humiliated too
MaxPower is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered User
 
Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Confoederatio Helvetica
Posts: 1,518
                     
Re: WTF Format

so far, GSMnadal is the only one who voted for option 2. enough said.


__________________

__________________

Beat is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered User
 
Certinfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 44,876
                     
Re: WTF Format

I would absolutely love a tournament like this. Problem is 16 players doesn't make the tournament so 'elite', does it?
Certinfy is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,442
                     
Re: WTF Format

Round Robin. But total sets won/lost should always count before H2H, no matter if it's between 2 or 3 players.

"Certainly the most talented individual, the most well-rounded player ever... to play this game." - Jason Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We should be appreciative of Federer though, because we will never see anything like him again. The fact he can still compete for slams ever after the erosion of his physical skills is really a greater testament to the natural talent he has than the period of time when he was dominating the tour.
Orka_n is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered User
 
GSMnadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Netherlands
Age: 24
Posts: 16,537
                     
Re: WTF Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
so far, GSMnadal is the only one who voted for option 2. enough said.
Yes, and not because I like the suggested format, but because I find the Round Robin thing a farce. Djokovic got spanked twice and he could still win this. No idea on how to improve it though...

RAFAEL NADAL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:24 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 27
Posts: 42,504
                     
Re: WTF Format

I think a 12 man knockout draw would be the best thing. Give byes to the top 4 seeds.

RR is shit. I used to think it was ok for TMC since it was top 8 and good for business, but I think the knockout format would be just as thrilling for the fans.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered User
 
Ace Pounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In-between Cringe City and Ruinsville
Age: 27
Posts: 13,858
                     
Re: WTF Format

They just should eliminate the H2H in the RR as the second criteria (after the match wins/lost) for a qualification to the semis.
Therefore I voted "other".
Ace Pounder is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,621
                     
Re: WTF Format

Round robin creates too many absurdities with just 4 players in each group. To fix it, make it two groups of 5.

Also would make the "top10" more special, and the end of the season more interesting - normally top 5 spots are sealed up early in season, then 6 and 7 a few months back. Top10 qualifying for WTF would see a whole bunch of players nicely motivated these last few months.
philosophicalarf is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MrExcel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
Posts: 793
                     
Re: WTF Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Just because of the results in your hypothetical draw, your idea is stupid as anyone who knows anything about tennis would say Djoko would have beaten Federer. So this whole thread is a waste of space.
The results weren't supposed to be a true reflection of what would have happened this week, they are just made up. I used existing WTF results where possible and for the rest just took the result of their most recent meeting. I agree Federer would be favourite to beat Djokovic this week


MrExcel is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: WTF Format

let it remain a chicken shit tournament with round robin format......nobody cares, let it continue to exist in that dark stadium somewhere in the outskirts of london......
Start da Game is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MrExcel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
Posts: 793
                     
Re: WTF Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirjhor View Post
If current system changes, anybody could be the winner of WTF. Would it be good if Dolgopolov or Simon wins this tournament? IMO, no. So Round-Robin system is good for WTF. So a player has to play against at least three+ of top eight players. And during the whole season, other players who aren't in top 8 would try to be one of top 8 to play in WTF. It is interesting and competitive.
If Dolgopolov or Simon could make their way through an elite draw of four of the best players of the year then perhaps they would deserve it? If Round robin is there just to get a top player to win a tournament they may as well just have Djokovic and Nadal playing the best of seven matches! I know I'm being facetious but you know what I mean.
And would you say that Federer-Fish was as interesting and competitive as it should be? Djokovic-Tipsarevic?


MrExcel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome