Federer 2004 (74-6) vs. Djokovic 2011 (70-6) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Which year was better? Time travel match?
Federer's season in 2004 was better and would win the time travel match 112 56.00%
Federer's season in 2004 was better, but would lose the time travel match 4 2.00%
Djokovic's season in 2011 is better, and would win the time travel match 59 29.50%
Djokovic's season in 2011 is better, but would lose the time travel match 25 12.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Overall this again hangs on the outcome of the year end finals.

If Djokovic wins it is certainly him otherwise could put a case for either player.

The current greatness league of active players in order of achievements to date (a factual comparison rather than fan biased assessment):

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 9 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.


DrJules is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered User
 
MaxPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 32
Posts: 7,805
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

What exactly is the big difference between Federer 2004 and Fed 2006? It's essentially the same player playing the same brand of tennis.

Answer is also the same: Yes Federer is still better. 2011 Fed can still defeat 2011 Djoker. Prime Fed would have toyed with him in a time travel match. Probably a routine 6-3, 6-3 win and he would have so many MPs that wasting 2 wouldn't matter

Djoker might still get slightly better season stats IF he manages to win the WTF (don't think so) but the difference isn't big enough to motivate that he is better.
MaxPower is offline  
post #18 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,509
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirjhor View Post
Looks like we have to mention the name of Nadal everywhere if we want to discuss anything about tennis!! For example, if we wanna talk about Borg's achievement, we also have to think if Rafa/Baby Nadal was there.
Hey! Open ur eyes! There were a lot of good players other than Rafa. What do you think? In top 10 of 2004, there were Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Moya, Gaudio and Agassi. All of them won at least a GS title. Even there were Agassi who is considered as one of the greatest. 6 players out of top 9(with Roger, 7 players out of 10. They were ranked 1,2,3,4,5,8,10) had at least a GS title. This is the real top 5! Think about the present one. Nothing more to say..

Still want to mention about Rafa? Well, it is only your matter then.
This.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline  
post #19 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered User
 
Nirjhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ghost Town
Posts: 4,292
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Top 10 at the end of 2004:

Federer
Roddick
Hewitt
Safin
Moya
Coria
Agassi
Nalbandian
Gaudio

The competition was of higher class then than it is today.
You forgot to mention Tim Henman's name. He was ranked 6 in 2004.

Here is the Year-end ranking of 2004.

ROGER FEDERER

82 Titles Including 17 Grandslam, 23 Masters, 6 YEC and Counting.

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

The Greatest Player Ever to Play Tennis.
Nirjhor is offline  
post #20 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,509
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirjhor View Post
You forgot to mention Tim Henman's name. He was ranked 6 in 2004.

Here is the Year-end ranking of 2004.
One helluva top 10,that's for sure.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline  
post #21 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Splash Fam
 
Nole Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 24
Posts: 12,050
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirjhor View Post
Looks like we have to mention the name of Nadal everywhere if we want to discuss anything about tennis!! For example, if we wanna talk about Borg's achievement, we also have to think if Rafa/Baby Nadal was there.
Hey! Open ur eyes! There were a lot of good players other than Rafa. What do you think? In top 10 of 2004, there were Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Moya, Gaudio and Agassi. All of them won at least a GS title. Even there were Agassi who is considered as one of the greatest. 6 players out of top 9(with Roger, 7 players out of 10. They were ranked 1,2,3,4,5,8,10) had at least a GS title. This is the real top 5! Think about the present one. Nothing more to say..

Still want to mention about Rafa? Well, it is only your matter then.
Those players won Slams because there wasn't really a great dominate player back then like Fed, Rafa & Nole. If Murray, Tsonga, Berdych and Soderling peaked in the transitional Era, they would have won slams easily like those players you mentioned. Those players in the top 10 at the moment are just unlucky. They have to deal with legends in the game like Fed, Nole and Rafa at thier prime years. OTOH, Safin & Hewitt and the others played in a mug period of time so-called transitional era.


Nole Rules is offline  
post #22 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,883
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Who was the tenth player in 2004?
Yeah, as Nirjhor already pointed out, the one I forgot was Henman. Another quality player.

Tea of truth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We should be appreciative of Federer though, because we will never see anything like him again. The fact he can still compete for slams ever after the erosion of his physical skills is really a greater testament to the natural talent he has than the period of time when he was dominating the tour.
Nadaltards in 2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Nadal is by far the most naturally talented player of all time and that is the reason his stay at the top is a lot longer than players like Federer etc were able to do.
Orka_n is offline  
post #23 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,509
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirihara Akaya View Post
Those players won Slams because there wasn't really a great dominate player back then like Fed, Rafa & Nole. If Murray, Tsonga, Berdych and Soderling peaked in the transitional Era, they would have won slams easily like those players you mentioned. Those players in the top 10 at the moment are just unlucky. They have to deal with legends in the game like Fed, Nole and Rafa at thier prime years. OTOH, Safin & Hewitt and the others played in a mug period of time so-called transitional era.

Just no.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline  
post #24 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,027
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirihara Akaya View Post
Those players won Slams because there wasn't really a great dominate player back then like Fed, Rafa & Nole. If Murray, Tsonga, Berdych and Soderling peaked in the transitional Era, they would have won slams easily like those players you mentioned. Those players in the top 10 at the moment are just unlucky. They have to deal with legends in the game like Fed, Nole and Rafa at thier prime years. OTOH, Safin & Hewitt and the others played in a mug period of time so-called transitional era.

Rafa and Nole wouldn't dominate in those years cause the surfaces were more varied and the attacking players would have blown their defensive, scurrying fucking asses off the court.

Hope this helps boy.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #25 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,027
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Yeah, as Nirjhor already pointed out, the one I forgot was Henman. Another quality player.
Henman was class at his best, and he couldn't get to a slam final cause of strong opposition too (Ivanisevic, Sampras, Hewitt and Fed)

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #26 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,883
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirihara Akaya View Post
Those players won Slams because there wasn't really a great dominate player back then like Fed, Rafa & Nole. If Murray, Tsonga, Berdych and Soderling peaked in the transitional Era, they would have won slam easily like those players you mentioned. Those players in the top 10 at the moment are just unlucky. They have to deal with legends in the game like Fed, Nole and Rafa at thier prime years. OTOH, Safin & Hewitt and the others played in a mug period of time so-called transitional era.

Look, the reason why every Noletard on the forum argues that this era is the best ever is all too obvious. They don't want to take anything away from their man, which I understand. But this post just shows a clear lack of knowledge. I'm a huge Soderling fan but there's no way Robin or Jo surpasses guys like prime Henman or Nalbandian in playing capability, let alone talent.

Novak has had an incredible year and there's no doubt about that. But he only has one rival (Nadal), who he is a good matchup against. Federer is not the player he was - how could he? He's a father and over 30 - and Murray hasn't stepped up yet. As for the rest of the top 10, they don't even have an outside shot in the slams. Fact is it wasn't like that in 2004. The potential of each top tenner was much higher back then.

Tea of truth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We should be appreciative of Federer though, because we will never see anything like him again. The fact he can still compete for slams ever after the erosion of his physical skills is really a greater testament to the natural talent he has than the period of time when he was dominating the tour.
Nadaltards in 2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Nadal is by far the most naturally talented player of all time and that is the reason his stay at the top is a lot longer than players like Federer etc were able to do.
Orka_n is offline  
post #27 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Top 10 at the end of 2004:

Federer
Roddick
Hewitt
Safin
Moya
Coria
Agassi
Nalbandian
Gaudio

The competition was of higher class then than it is today.
That is possibly the strongest top 10 of the decade. I think it would be hard to objectively argue that 2004 was not stronger than either 2006 or 2011 in top 10 field depth. Overall consider 2006 to probably have the weakest top 10 of the 3 years I mentioned with 2011 stronger than 2006.

The current greatness league of active players in order of achievements to date (a factual comparison rather than fan biased assessment):

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 9 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.


DrJules is offline  
post #28 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Look, the reason why every Noletard on the forum argues that this era is the best ever is all too obvious. They don't want to take anything away from their man, which I understand. But this post just shows a clear lack of knowledge. I'm a huge Soderling fan but there's no way Robin or Jo surpasses guys like prime Henman or Nalbandian in playing capability, let alone talent.

Novak has had an incredible year and there's no doubt about that. But he only has one rival (Nadal), who he is a good matchup against. Federer is not the player he was - how could he? He's a father and over 30 - and Murray hasn't stepped up yet. As for the rest of the top 10, they don't even have an outside shot in the slams. Fact is it wasn't like that in 2004. The potential of each top tenner was much higher back then.
Good luck in trying to have an objective and rational discussion with certain Djokovic and Nadal fans.

The current greatness league of active players in order of achievements to date (a factual comparison rather than fan biased assessment):

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 9 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.


DrJules is offline  
post #29 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,883
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
Good luck in trying to have an objective and rational discussion with certain Djokovic and Nadal fans.
I don't consider Akaya as bad as some of the others, so.

As for the poll, I will wait until after the WTF to make up my mind about which season was more dominant.

Tea of truth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
We should be appreciative of Federer though, because we will never see anything like him again. The fact he can still compete for slams ever after the erosion of his physical skills is really a greater testament to the natural talent he has than the period of time when he was dominating the tour.
Nadaltards in 2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Nadal is by far the most naturally talented player of all time and that is the reason his stay at the top is a lot longer than players like Federer etc were able to do.
Orka_n is offline  
post #30 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,509
                     
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
I don't consider Akaya as bad as some of the others, so.

As for the poll, I will wait until after the WTF to make up my mind about which season was more dominant.
You overrate a bit the WTF's role in a season. I mean looking back at the whole season in late december, WTF looks more important than it really is. It's prestigious and definetely a good way to end the season but IMO it's not the best way to decide who's season is better.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome