Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #226 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

giles simon.....
Start da Game is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #227 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

I agree, this is the strongest era so far.
FlowerPrincess is offline  
post #228 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered User
 
tennizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 27,276
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
blood started pissing out my ear after reading this, should i see a doctor..?
depends on the color of the blood

“For life be, after all, only a waitin' for somethin' else than what we're doin'; and death be all that we can rightly depend on.” - Bram Stoker, Dracula
tennizen is offline  
post #229 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,104
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
i have proven evidences for what i said and you still have none, zero......of course day dreaming is for free so anybody can do that......by the same token of what you are trying to convey with your last sentence, nadal would have developed a game suitable for those conditions too and actually would have done better bBASED ON THE FACTUAL EVIDENCE that he is more adaptable and would relatively have fared better in a non-homogenized era of different surfaces and varied styles.......what you are doing is, blindly assuming based on what fed did in a homogenized era with modern rackets and he is not even 10% adaptable to what nadal is and doesn't even have 30% the heart that nadal has......
I'm not assuming anything, nor do I need to provide any 'proof', because my claim is simply that we don't know how well Federer would have done in a different era. You're the one making assumptions, not me.

Even if Nadal is more adaptable, success = 1.) initial ability/talent + 2.) adaptability. We need to know 1.) first before we can determine anything, and we don't know that precisely because as you say, "you just can't translate their current games to the past".

Federer is very successful in this era, despite in your view not being very adaptable. There's no reason in principle why that couldn't hold true for previous eras.
Singularity is offline  
post #230 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
I'm not assuming anything, nor do I need to provide any 'proof', because my claim is simply that we don't know how well Federer would have done in a different era. You're the one making assumptions, not me.

Even if Nadal is more adaptable, success = 1.) initial ability/talent + 2.) adaptability. We need to know 1.) first before we can determine anything, and we don't know that precisely because as you say, "you just can't translate their current games to the past".

Federer is very successful in this era, despite in your view not being very adaptable. There's no reason in principle why that couldn't hold true for previous eras.
that's why you have to read back a few pages.......i am not the one initiating the assumptions game......i only pointed out the clueless opinion that nadal's game would suffer the most when everybody else is using the same technology that he does and nadal is not even that great with his serve, return, volley for his game to take a major hit with the wooden rackets of the 60s......
Start da Game is offline  
post #231 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,104
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

That's why I indicated in my first post in this thread, that the argument should end on both sides.
Singularity is offline  
post #232 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,477
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

how would great athletes like nasty and borg have faired in the modern era?

Clay Death is online now  
post #233 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
That's why I indicated in my first post in this thread, that the argument should end on both sides.
it won't end when you want it to end......
Start da Game is offline  
post #234 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
how would great athletes like nasty and borg have faired in the modern era?
borg would have kept himself super fit and kept coming at players......nastase would have enjoyed the new rackets.......
Start da Game is offline  
post #235 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,991
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
that's why you have to read back a few pages.......i am not the one initiating the assumptions game......i only pointed out the clueless opinion that nadal's game would suffer the most when everybody else is using the same technology that he does and nadal is not even that great with his serve, return, volley for his game to take a major hit with the wooden rackets of the 60s......
It's not about "taking a hit", it's about having the game to succeed. Wooden racquets didn't make shit serves, slices, touch, & volleys better; they rewarded good serves, good touch, good slices, & good volleys. Nadal has none of these, Federer has all of them. Ergo, Federer would be more suited to wooden racquets. It's not a question of adapting since Federer would have less to change than Nadal, and in any case the whole notion of adaptation is irrelevant since the thought-experiment involves growing up in the wooden-racquet era. Not to mention the fact that your drivel about adaptability rests on the false premiss that Nadull has demonstrated an ability to adapt. He never had to adapt his game against Fed as it already worked, & he hasn't adapted his game against Djoker.

What's your point again?

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #236 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered User
 
Shirogane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: France
Posts: 3,226
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
...nastase would have enjoyed the new rackets.......
Oh yes, definitely.



Roger Federer ♦ David Goffin ♦ Mikhail Youzhny ♦ Dustin Brown ♦ Pierre-Hugues Herbert


Shirogane is offline  
post #237 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
It's not about "taking a hit", it's about having the game to succeed. Wooden racquets didn't make shit serves, slices, touch, & volleys better; they rewarded good serves, good touch, good slices, & good volleys. Nadal has none of these, Federer has all of them. Ergo, Federer would be more suited to wooden racquets. It's not a question of adapting since Federer would have less to change than Nadal, and in any case the whole notion of adaptation is irrelevant since the thought-experiment involves growing up in the wooden-racquet era. Not to mention the fact that your drivel about adaptability rests on the false premiss that Nadull has demonstrated an ability to adapt. He never had to adapt his game against Fed as it already worked, & he hasn't adapted his game against Djoker.

What's your point again?
the point has been made in the previous pages......when all the players today are using the same technology and whatever you are witnessing today off their rackets is with the same technology of today, you just can't make a blanket statement saying only this player would fit the previous eras or only this wouldn't fit.....
Start da Game is offline  
post #238 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered User
 
Shirogane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: France
Posts: 3,226
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
You need to watch more tennis from 60s and early 70s.

The game Federer used to beat Sampras in 2001 at Wimbledon would have worked much better than any game I have seen Nadal deliver. Federer was using serve and volley more than playing from the baseline. He used slice and flatter shots more than extreme topspin. Nadal plays a game further from the 60s and early 70s version of the game.
This.

Fed, of course, also won in 2003 playing serve-and-volley tennis.



Roger Federer ♦ David Goffin ♦ Mikhail Youzhny ♦ Dustin Brown ♦ Pierre-Hugues Herbert


Shirogane is offline  
post #239 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirogane View Post
This.

Fed, of course, also won in 2003 playing serve-and-volley tennis.
not that.....this, what i am saying now,

he did not play serve and volley and certainly not with a wooden racket.....a serve and volleyer doesn't stay back regularly on second serves......
Start da Game is offline  
post #240 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,477
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

vamos great general shankar.

Clay Death is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome