Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Why would Laver´s greatness be measured by how he would adapt to modern technology or physical demands of the game??? Put a wooden racket in Nadal´s hands and move him to 1970´s, and he´d be triple-bageled by Rosewall. So who´s to say who´s the greatest?
it is not even funny that your immediate choice of ridicule is nadal yet again, as if he is the only one who is playing with modern rackets......why not just uncover yourself and declare once and for all that you are just one of those from the blind breed......please don't try to come off as mr.objective, you are not......

nadal has the biggest heart the sport has ever seen......it is mental midgets like fed who would never adapt to an era of champions, just like how he is suffering presently......history taught us many things and one of such things is that heart is bigger than talent and that holds good to any era......
Start da Game is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Yea.. and even Ferrer has been overpowered most of his career by select individuals. Heck Roddick overpowered him.
but ferrer's skill is nowhere close to laver's and laver would have employed different training methods and got as fit as ferrer.....
Start da Game is offline  
post #183 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
This is another reason why many people believe Federer is the GOAT, assuming he could play in any era with any equipment.
Federer's greatest weapon would be mostly useless in the 60's....his FH
Saberq is offline  
post #184 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Federer's greatest weapon would be mostly useless in the 60's....his FH
they are too dumb to visualize it......staggering no. of people who think his technique fits any era, just clueless as hell.....so we will help em a little.......if he had the same technique and the same forehand swing, he would pretty much dump every ball in the net as those old strings wouldn't hold the ball for long enough and wouldn't impart the same kind of spin......he wouldn't no way near have the same control driving it either......

his backhand would be near useless with the wooden rackets, as he drives it and shanks 19 out of 20 times......arthur ashe would have had to give him oncourt lessons during matches on how to hit a backhand......

he would never have enjoyed serving too......remember we are talking only in response to the weird notion that ballerina's present technique fits any era......

now let's switch to the returning part......his chip returns would be yielding close to zero results as he would struggle all day trying to control them off his racket with today's technique......

finally just forget about things like volleying and overheads......they better not be discussed at all......

Last edited by Start da Game; 09-21-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Start da Game is offline  
post #185 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

If Federer was born in 86 or 87 he would have exactly 3-4 slams today with no chance to break Pete's record
Saberq is offline  
post #186 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,907
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
it is not even funny that your immediate choice of ridicule is nadal yet again, as if he is the only one who is playing with modern rackets......why not just uncover yourself and declare once and for all that you are just one of those from the blind breed......please don't try to come off as mr.objective, you are not......

nadal has the biggest heart the sport has ever seen......it is mental midgets like fed who would never adapt to an era of champions, just like how he is suffering presently......history taught us many things and one of such things is that heart is bigger than talent and that holds good to any era......
If I offended your religion, I am very sorry. I used Nadal in my example only because I do believe that his heavy topspin shots would be the least adjustable to wooden rackets. I do think Federer would have less trouble in that sense, but I have nothing against Nadal. I don´t question the size of Nadal´s heart, but if you think Federer is a mental midget, then maybe it´s you who is "one of those from the blind breed".
Dougie is offline  
post #187 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered User
 
Roadmap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,236
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Federer is in possession of wonderful net skills and a terrific slice. Certainly he outstrips Djokovic and Nadull comfortably in these departments. It is the Serb and The Mallorcan who would look stupid playing with retro gear. I do accept Federer's forehand would not exist with the old racquets.
Roadmap is offline  
post #188 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
If I offended your religion, I am very sorry. I used Nadal in my example only because I do believe that his heavy topspin shots would be the least adjustable to wooden rackets. I do think Federer would have less trouble in that sense, but I have nothing against Nadal. I don´t question the size of Nadal´s heart, but if you think Federer is a mental midget, then maybe it´s you who is "one of those from the blind breed".
least adjustable how? agreed that it's your view but still how? he used to blast them like crazy when he was 16 and 17......he only modified it later to suit clay......he kept making adjustments through out his career to suit his requirements against different oppositions and dealt with them successfully......heck he even risked his shoulder and changed his service motion for ONE slam......fed on the other hand never stepped out of his comfort zone and did nothing different......so who's proved to be more adaptable to change? it's nadal, not fed......something which has happened in this era, unlike what most of you dream would have happened in fed's case in previous eras......there are telling proofs that fed is by far one of the least adaptable players of this generation.......
Start da Game is offline  
post #189 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,600
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

average height of a tennis pro in the top 100 today is 6 foot 2. and it may even be closer to 6 foot 3.

Clay Death is offline  
post #190 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Registered User
 
Roadmap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,236
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
If Federer was born in 86 or 87 he would have exactly 3-4 slams today with no chance to break Pete's record
Judging by what? How grandpa fed beat prime Djokovic at the French Open? Or was it Grandpa fed leading by two sets to love and having match points against prime Djokovic at Flushing Meadows? I will tell you something Saberq. You have a fantastic sense of humour.
Roadmap is offline  
post #191 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Fed would NOT be able to adjust ( at least very effectively) to the wooden rackets. Heck I think even Sampras would adjust much easier to the classic serve volley wooden era of Pancho, Hoad, Laver etc, more then Fed ever would.
SetSampras is offline  
post #192 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmap View Post
Federer is in possession of wonderful net skills and a terrific slice. Certainly he outstrips Djokovic and Nadull comfortably in these departments. It is the Serb and The Mallorcan who would look stupid playing with retro gear. I do accept Federer's forehand would not exist with the old racquets.
I agree completely with this ...even more proof that tennis then and now was worlds apart and that eras cant be compared
Saberq is offline  
post #193 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered User
 
Roadmap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,236
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
I agree completely with this ...even more proof that tennis then and now was worlds apart and that eras cant be compared
It is difficult to compare.
Roadmap is offline  
post #194 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Registered User
 
Roadmap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,236
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Fed would NOT be able to adjust ( at least very effectively) to the wooden rackets. Heck I think even Sampras would adjust much easier to the classic serve volley wooden era of Pancho, Hoad, Laver etc, more then Fed ever would.
Yeah because Sampras slice shot was just so amazing
Roadmap is offline  
post #195 of 600 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,907
                     
Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
least adjustable how? agreed that it's your view but still how? he used to blast them like crazy when he was 16 and 17......he only modified it later to suit clay......he kept making adjustments through out his career to suit his requirements against different oppositions and dealt with them successfully......heck he even risked his shoulder and changed his service motion for ONE slam......fed on the other hand never stepped out of his comfort zone and did nothing different......so who's proved to be more adaptable to change? it's nadal, not fed......something which has happened in this era, unlike what most of you dream would have happened in fed's case in previous eras......there are telling proofs that fed is by far one of the least adaptable players of this generation.......
Have you ever played tennis? Least adjustable because of the heavy topspin generated by a heavy "upward"-motion of the racket, that would not be possible without a modern racket and string technology that create a large sweetspot that Nadal´s groundstrokes require. I´m sure he would be able to get the ball back over the net even with a coca cola-bottle, my point is that his game would suffer more than Federer´s, who hits the ball flatter, and who has better volleys and slice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Fed would NOT be able to adjust ( at least very effectively) to the wooden rackets. Heck I think even Sampras would adjust much easier to the classic serve volley wooden era of Pancho, Hoad, Laver etc, more then Fed ever would.
I´m sure Fed ( or anyone from the current era) would have immense difficulties, but wooden rackets would not limit his game quite the way they would Nadal´s. As for Sampras, I totally agree. He would probably adjust relatively well, his legendary Pro Staff was actually not that far from wooden rackets.
Dougie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome