Will there be another Roger Federer? - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #226 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered User
 
barbadosan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: I hear my Bimshire calling . . .
Age: 67
Posts: 9,685
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Records are meant to be broken.. Its an Old Adage you see, you would know better than that.
haha, the other equally old adage is that there's an exception to every rule



"When I'm asked, how is it to be around Federer, and what is he really like, I always reply, "I wish people could meet him when cameras or an audience aren't around, as he is one of the nicest people I have ever met when stringing on tour. " -- drakulie
barbadosan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #227 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered User
 
Shinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: My Flag
Posts: 4,242
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
haha, the other equally old adage is that there's an exception to every rule

As long as the World wont get destroyed, most records will be broken
Shinoj is offline  
post #228 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 334
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

The wasy I would answer this question is from the perspective of what kind of influence a long running Number 1 has on subsequent generations. IF you take Borg for instance.. we saw not just other Swedes playing tennis but Borg clones(WIlander) everywhere to a certain degree... Top spin became the norm, so will we see one handed backhands coming back? Im not so sure.. the 2 hander seems to be the direction coaches are going with even with Federer at the top of the game for the better part of almost a decade.
yonexforever is offline  
post #229 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
I actually saw Muster playing live at his peak and no, I don't think he would have beaten Rafa often, Guga had great clay game but his one hander would have been pounded mercilessly by Rafa (the match-up issue that Roger has with him), Rosewall? mmm hard to say, Wilander? don't make me laugh, even Courier was better than him on clay and neither one could hold a candle to Rafa.

Vilas might sneak some wins like he did against Borg but I don't think he would have been able to withstand the power of Rafa

There's a reason why Borg and Nadal stay alone at the top of the clay game, no one comes close to them and actually forcing them to tough matches with a match-up disadvantage is a sign of greatness.
They stand along because of their french open and clay achievements.. But to say there aren't guys in history who could trouble them and maybe take a few french open titles from them.. then I dunno. Whooping on Fed for 20 years at the French Open isn't the same as whooping on the clay court elite in history.
SetSampras is offline  
post #230 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 402
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
They stand along because of their french open and clay achievements.. But to say there aren't guys in history who could trouble them and maybe take a few french open titles from them.. then I dunno. Whooping on Fed for 20 years at the French Open isn't the same as whooping on the clay court elite in history.
Not a lot of guys more elite than Federer on clay. I cannot think of too many better guys going back to the edge of my memories in the early 70s. And back then the game was very different.

Federer does everything you want in a claycourt player at an elite level. He's an accurate server, hits great spin and angle, has an excellent short slice and dropshot. He moves very well on clay and has extremely good endurance. He is certainly a better clay court player than Gaudio, Ferrero, A. Costa, Agassi, Moya, Kafelnikov, Muster, Bruguera, Courier, Gomez, Chang, Wilander, Lendl, Noah, Vilas, Panatta. And all those guys won the French Open, some of them multiple times. The three guys who might have been better are Kuerten, Nadal, and Borg. Well Nadal is clearly better.
eduggs is offline  
post #231 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduggs View Post
Not a lot of guys more elite than Federer on clay. I cannot think of too many better guys going back to the edge of my memories in the early 70s. And back then the game was very different.

Federer does everything you want in a claycourt player at an elite level. He's an accurate server, hits great spin and angle, has an excellent short slice and dropshot. He moves very well on clay and has extremely good endurance. He is certainly a better clay court player than Gaudio, Ferrero, A. Costa, Agassi, Moya, Kafelnikov, Muster, Bruguera, Courier, Gomez, Chang, Wilander, Lendl, Noah, Vilas, Panatta. And all those guys won the French Open, some of them multiple times. The three guys who might have been better are Kuerten, Nadal, and Borg. Well Nadal is clearly better.
Fed better on clay now then Lendl, Vilas, Wilander, Bruguera, Courier?






Im sorry... But no. Just...... no
SetSampras is offline  
post #232 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,986
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Fed better on clay now then Lendl, Vilas, Wilander, Bruguera, Courier?






Im sorry... But no. Just...... no
Bruguera & Courier, probably, yes. The others, no.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #233 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Mateja Seppieva
 
Mateya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seppi's comfy hotel room
Age: 31
Posts: 7,984
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Hard to say, but I know one thing:

Federer won't be considered as the GOAT until he brings his ass to Umag, where claycourt tennis of the highest quality is played and takes the title. He clearly is scared of the field here.

Until then he's just an ordinary tennis player.


Mateya's FAQ
: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/0120/sc2-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene*, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, Tina Maze, PETER PREVC
Umag
WTA tour: Association of screaming tennis players without variety and defensive skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
Kyrgios is an annoying mix of clown, punk and attention whore.
Mateya is online now  
post #234 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 402
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Fed better on clay now then Lendl, Vilas, Wilander, Bruguera, Courier?






Im sorry... But no. Just...... no
Lendl won 3 FO in 5 finals. It was a transitional era when racquet technology and game play were being revolutionized and there were no dominant clay court players. McEnroe's game should not have been good enough to get to the FO final, as great a player as he was.

Vilas won one FO in 4 finals over Brian Gottfried. A very good but not great player.

Wilander won 3 FO in 5 finals, including a loss to Yanick Noah. Same story as Lendl.

Bruguera won 2 FO in 3 finals and won 4 major clay titles total in his whole career. Dude, WTF is wrong with you?

Courier also won 2 FO in 3 finals and 4 major clay titles total in his whole career.

Federer has won 1 FO in 5 finals, losing to the best clay courter of all time 5 times! Since before he won his first GS, Federer has only lost to 3 times FO champion Kuerten, 6 times FO champion Nadal, and the only player to beat Nadal at RG, Soderling. If it weren't for Nadal, Federer could have been tied with Borg for most FO titles with 6. Federer is clearly a superior tennis player to all of the champions mentioned previously. His career record and all-court prowess is definitive proof. That he does not have more triumphs at Roland Garros does not diminish his status as a legendary clay court player, rather it elevates Nadal as an even greater champion on the surface.
eduggs is offline  
post #235 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Mateja Seppieva
 
Mateya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seppi's comfy hotel room
Age: 31
Posts: 7,984
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduggs View Post
Federer has won 1 FO in 5 finals, losing to the best clay courter of all time 5 times! Since before he won his first GS, Federer has only lost to 3 times FO champion Kuerten, 6 times FO champion Nadal, and the only player to beat Nadal at RG, Soderling. If it weren't for Nadal, Federer could have been tied with Borg for most FO titles with 6. Federer is clearly a superior tennis player to all of the champions mentioned previously. His career record and all-court prowess is definitive proof. That he does not have more triumphs at Roland Garros does not diminish his status as a legendary clay court player, rather it elevates Nadal as an even greater champion on the surface.
AMEN!

This should shut some loud mouths over here.


Mateya's FAQ
: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/0120/sc2-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene*, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, Tina Maze, PETER PREVC
Umag
WTA tour: Association of screaming tennis players without variety and defensive skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
Kyrgios is an annoying mix of clown, punk and attention whore.

Last edited by Mateya; 11-30-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Mateya is online now  
post #236 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
Hard to say, but I know one thing:

Federer won't be considered as the GOAT until he brings his ass to Umag, where claycourt tennis of the highest quality is played and takes the title. He clearly is scared of the field here.

Until then he's just an ordinary tennis player.
Now this is the kind of post that I can truly appreciate a lot.


"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
post #237 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 43
Posts: 2,443
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

The surname Federer isn't that uncommon, nor is the first name Roger.

I say almost certainly. Probably quite a few in fact.
r2473 is offline  
post #238 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered User
 
syc23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 902
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Just as there is no new Michael Jordan, there will never be another Roger Federer.
syc23 is offline  
post #239 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc23 View Post
Just as there is no new Michael Jordan, there will never be another Roger Federer.
Fed is No MJ please.. MJ had no equal and destroyed EVERYONE who came in his path ( especially his top rivals) on every big stage. . Fed hasn't done that
SetSampras is offline  
post #240 of 332 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Mammoths
 
Omnipotence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,710
                     
Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Fed is No MJ please.. MJ had no equal and destroyed EVERYONE who came in his path ( especially his top rivals) on every big stage. . Fed hasn't done that
MJ was clearly the greatest player of his era like Federer is, and he had a lot of problems in overcoming Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers to claim an NBA title. In fact, he toiled away for 7 or 8 years until he got one, by which point he was in his late 20's.
Omnipotence is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome