Hewitt vs. Djokovic debate - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Has Djokovic eclipsed Lleyton yet?
Yes, as of now, Novak has a better career than Hewitt 136 55.06%
Nope, it's close but Hewitt still has an edge, just. 97 39.27%
Just too close to call at the moment! Still hopefully time for both. 14 5.67%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mallorca (Spain)
Posts: 2,075
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Once again, MTF goes on a rollercoaster of hype on the base of... one single result.^People continue to mistake what is possible with what is likely.
peribsen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
james82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 34
Posts: 1,025
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

to be fair on the hewitt era there was a lot more talent just no number 1 standout
he did have Kuerten,Ferrero,Kafenikov,Haas,Agassi,Safin,Rafter ,Johnasson,Grosjean,Henman,Sampras,Federer,Kiefer and Moya

what a great era that was

faves-Ito,Paire,Kei,Bedene,Jung,A.Gonzalez,Fabbiano,Uchi yama,Sock,Cecchinato,Basilashvili,Kranjinovic,Dzum hur,Kudla,Schwartzman,Duckworth,Harrison,Fucsovics ,Marti,Mitchell,Laaksonen,Degreef,Krawietz,Arguell o,Olivo,Clezar,Pella,Bagnis,Copil,Goffin,Delbonis, Pospsil,Janowicz,Berankis,Lajovic,Donskoy,Struff,R ola,Langer,Zhang,Moriya,Eysseric,Nguyen,Evans,Gian nessi,Wu,Belotti,Trav,yang,busta,kuznetsov,Herbert ,ehara,sekiguchi,Andreozzi,Pouille,Coppejans,Pavla sek,Djere,Kristin,Chung,Garin,Ymer,Donaldson,Jarry ,Donati,Edmund,Kyrgios,Nishioka,Taro,Lama,Novak,Bo ltz,Lee,Paul,Zverev,Rublev,Safiullin,Santillan

others:Ruffin,Stebe,Jeong

my youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWy...crHBo8TLJLJa2w
james82 is offline  
post #33 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered User
 
JuliC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 29
Posts: 516
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james82 View Post
to be fair on the hewitt era there was a lot more talent just no number 1 standout
he did have Kuerten,Ferrero,Kafenikov,Haas,Agassi,Safin,Rafter ,Johnasson,Grosjean,Henman,Sampras,Federer,Kiefer and Moya

what a great era that was
I miss those days.
JuliC is offline  
post #34 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered User
 
ApproachShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,542
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Hewitt is still ahead of Djokovic, but another WTF win and making it to #1 in the world would make them more or less equal in my reckoning. Should Djokovic win another slam, however, I think it would be difficult not to tip the scales in favour of Novak.
ApproachShot is offline  
post #35 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Ill go with Djokovic probably though its not a huge gap. Hewitt did manage two slams but he did in no doubt a transitional period between 2001-2002. Agassi and Sampras were just finishing up their runs and Fed and Nadal had yet to establish themselves. So there was no dominant figure in tennis at that point. Hewitt beats a gassed 30 year old Sampras in the finals, who just went through Safin, Agassi and Rafter. And he beats a young 19 year old Nalbdandian in the finals of wimbledon. Not hugely amazing. Djokovic beats a lil bit past prime Federer this year, and takes out Murray and beats Fed in 08 to get his two slams. A little more impressive then the slam wins Hewitt got. Just beating Fed two slams in a row is huge for djoker. Peak Hewitt couldn't even beat past prime Fed at a slam most likely.

Djoker has yet to reach number 1 but no doubt he WOULD BE if he played in a transitional era such as Hewitt did. Hes been a consistent top 3 player in the world for around 4 years now and during an era that wasn't transitional and weaker like 00-02 was. Djoker playing in the transitional era of the early 00s would give him a USO, hell maybe 3 AOs, and a few french open titles. Nadal and Fed have stopped Djokovic from dominating at the slams. During the transitional era there would be no one stopping Djokovic from getting clay and hardcourt slams maybe even a wimbledon title

Considering all those things, what Djoker has done has been more impressive slightly IMO. Of course, you can argue Hewitt, but probably the end of the year this year OR next year there will be no argument. Djoker will clearly be ahead all things comsidered.

In terms of talent? Oh shit djoker blows the counter puncher away. Not to mention Hewitt couldn't even successfully defend his USO title against old brokeback Agassi.

Comparing slam counts, is kind of ridiculous considering Hewitt won his slams during a time with no dominant players around, while Djoker is winning his against a stronger field and with dominant players around

Last edited by SetSampras; 02-02-2011 at 10:00 PM.
SetSampras is offline  
post #36 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered User
 
oranges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,564
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

^^ Huh? Hewitt played Nalbandian in Wimbledon final

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarble View Post
Imo Safin was always relatively powerless
Samanosuke showing his tennis expertise, promising to self-ban himslef from MTF permanently should Čilić:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
About a 500 depends which players he beat on the road to the title . About masters 1000 or GS 1/2 you have my word
oranges is offline  
post #37 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
^^ Huh? Hewitt played Nalbandian in Wimbledon final
Sorry I meant Nalbandian. A joke of a wimbledon it was anyways.
SetSampras is offline  
post #38 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered User
 
Ibracadabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 8,559
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

When novak gets the world number one it will be him.

Juan Martin Del Potro


But he lost 23 times against you.
's right. We have to also throw into the mix. But I do not think it is currently the decisive factor. But he has achieved in my opinion too much. Maybe this is crucial if I move him even closer after major victories. But 14 or 17 Grand Slam titles is a significant difference. At the present time there is no question that he must be the greater player than me.

David Nalbandian
Ibracadabra is offline  
post #39 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 25
Posts: 4,421
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Ill go with Djokovic probably though its not a huge gap. Hewitt did manage two slams but he did in no doubt a transitional period between 2001-2002. Agassi and Sampras were just finishing up their runs and Fed and Nadal had yet to establish themselves. So there was no dominant figure in tennis at that point. Hewitt beats a gassed 30 year old Sampras in the finals, who just went through Safin, Agassi and Rafter. And he beats a young 19 year old Nalbdandian in the finals of wimbledon. Not hugely amazing. Djokovic beats a lil bit past prime Federer this year, and takes out Murray and beats Fed in 08 to get his two slams. A little more impressive then the slam wins Hewitt got. Just beating Fed two slams in a row is huge for djoker. Peak Hewitt couldn't even beat past prime Fed at a slam most likely.

Djoker has yet to reach number 1 but no doubt he WOULD BE if he played in a transitional era such as Hewitt did. Hes been a consistent top 3 player in the world for around 4 years now and during an era that wasn't transitional and weaker like 00-02 was. Djoker playing in the transitional era of the early 00s would give him a USO, hell maybe 3 AOs, and a few french open titles. Nadal and Fed have stopped Djokovic from dominating at the slams. During the transitional era there would be no one stopping Djokovic from getting clay and hardcourt slams maybe even a wimbledon title

Considering all those things, what Djoker has done has been more impressive slightly IMO. Of course, you can argue Hewitt, but probably the end of the year this year OR next year there will be no argument. Djoker will clearly be ahead all things comsidered.

In terms of talent? Oh shit djoker blows the counter puncher away. Not to mention Hewitt couldn't even successfully defend his USO title against old brokeback Agassi.

Comparing slam counts, is kind of ridiculous considering Hewitt won his slams during a time with no dominant players around, while Djoker is winning his against a stronger field
You switched there Nadal in Wimbledon final, but I agree with most of you said- but people won´t listen, they just say Lleyton is better and you can´t argue but the thinks are clear- Hewitt played in era of everyone like him- players with talent that wants to succed in era without GREATS- and Lleyton manage to capture 2 titles. I wrote in my article even about his Masters events- in his whole career he won only IW-2x times, that is really nothing for No. 1 guy with 2 slams .... Djokovic is playing GS later stages and Master 1000 finals, SF, QF almost everytime he play there. I think one of the think why Lleyton´s career was much more better in the begginings than in later age is not only ijuries, but also Federer- than Nadal. Hewitt is so old like Federer not? so if he is not injured he should play really good no? he is 2x GS champion.. but if he is not injured he choked in 3R of GS most of the time to many loosers. Djokovic in future will be overrayl much better player- after Roger retired and with Rafa´s injuries no doubt that Novak will be No. 1, and win minimimum 1 another GS title and many Masters 1000.
romismak is offline  
post #40 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james82 View Post
to be fair on the hewitt era there was a lot more talent just no number 1 standout
he did have Kuerten,Ferrero,Kafenikov,Haas,Agassi,Safin,Rafter ,Johnasson,Grosjean,Henman,Sampras,Federer,Kiefer and Moya

what a great era that was
Kafelinkov- Good player but not elite. Headcase at many times
Kuerten- outside of clay, pretty subpar
haas- ROFL
Agassi- Heading towards the end of his run. Solid player still but not what he was in 99-00 or early-mid 90s (Yet Hewitt still lost to him at the USO in 02)
Safin- Sure when he showed which close to NEVER. Most inconsistent player of all time
Ferrero- Good until he got with chicken pox only to never return
Rafter- Better in the late 90s
Henman- Talented but a pushover
Moya, Keifer,Grosjean,Johansson- Not worth mentioning.

overrall early 00's was pretty subpar-average. When a 19 year old Nalbandian is reaching a slam final or Costa and Johannson or Gaudio are winning slams.. That kind of tells u right there. For sure the weakest era in the last 40 years anyways
SetSampras is offline  
post #41 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered User
 
oranges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,564
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Sorry I meant Nalbandian. A joke of a wimbledon it was anyways.
Really? Bjorkman, Youzhny, Schalken, Henman, Nalbandian sounds a decent enough run to me. I won't even go into ton of hard-fought 5-setters by other players. But of course, since Sampras lost to Bastl, must be a joke of a Wimbledon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarble View Post
Imo Safin was always relatively powerless
Samanosuke showing his tennis expertise, promising to self-ban himslef from MTF permanently should Čilić:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
About a 500 depends which players he beat on the road to the title . About masters 1000 or GS 1/2 you have my word
oranges is offline  
post #42 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 28
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

SetSampras

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
post #43 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
Really? Bjorkman, Youzhny, Schalken, Henman, Nalbandian sounds a decent enough run to me. I won't even go into ton of hard-fought 5-setters by other players. But of course, since Sampras lost to Bastl, must be a joke of a Wimbledon.
It was Sampras' 2nd to last slam ever. and yes Bjokrman, Baby Youzhny, Schalken (Didn't 86 year old Agassi spank him?), Henman the bust, and 12 year old Nalbandian IS a joke.
SetSampras is offline  
post #44 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered User
 
SetSampras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 3,274
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romismak View Post
You switched there Nadal in Wimbledon final, but I agree with most of you said- but people won´t listen, they just say Lleyton is better and you can´t argue but the thinks are clear- Hewitt played in era of everyone like him- players with talent that wants to succed in era without GREATS- and Lleyton manage to capture 2 titles. I wrote in my article even about his Masters events- in his whole career he won only IW-2x times, that is really nothing for No. 1 guy with 2 slams .... Djokovic is playing GS later stages and Master 1000 finals, SF, QF almost everytime he play there. I think one of the think why Lleyton´s career was much more better in the begginings than in later age is not only ijuries, but also Federer- than Nadal. Hewitt is so old like Federer not? so if he is not injured he should play really good no? he is 2x GS champion.. but if he is not injured he choked in 3R of GS most of the time to many loosers. Djokovic in future will be overrayl much better player- after Roger retired and with Rafa´s injuries no doubt that Novak will be No. 1, and win minimimum 1 another GS title and many Masters 1000.
I agree.. Outside of possibly Agassi who was still a good player but not what he was prior and clearly on the downslope of his career, or Sampras giving it his all for his slam at the USO in 2002, who is going to stop djokovic during the transitional era of decimating AO after AO, USO after USO, or getting a few french open titles to his resume? Djoker 00-03 would eclipe Hewitt's 2 slam count WITH EASE and probably not even break much of a sweat doing so. I mean unless people think Costa,Baby Nalbandian, Gaudio, Johannson etc are going to stop him
SetSampras is offline  
post #45 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 25
Posts: 4,421
                     
Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
I agree.. Outside of possibly Agassi who was still a good player but not what he was prior and clearly on the downslope of his career, or Sampras giving it his all for his slam at the USO in 2002, who is going to stop djokovic during the transitional era of decimating AO after AO, USO after USO, or getting a few french open titles to his resume? Djoker 00-03 would eclipe Hewitt's 2 slam count WITH EASE and probably not even break much of a sweat doing so. I mean unless people think Costa,Baby Nalbandian, Gaudio, Johannson etc are going to stop him
I am now again looking on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gles_champions
GS champions and really in 90s it was about few guys like Sampras, if we don´t count RG- where clay-courters always succeeded than AO,US, Wim- always won the same guys- Sampras,Agassi, Becker, Rater and few others and then in 2001-2003 in 12 GS we have 9 different champions, and i am not counting 2004- Gaudio- who is Gaudio by the way? If Hewitt would be that good- he would win half of those GS -5,6,7 not 2...
And his record against Federer- someone say he was dominating Roger- yes when he was No.1 and Roger still wasn´t that good after 2003 DC that Hewitt won from AO 2004 until Halle last year 15 wins for Federer in a row... Djokovic also played Federer in his prime, litle bit after prime but can you imagine Djokovic to lost 15x in a row to him?:
romismak is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome