"I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 28
Posts: 13,370
                     
"I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

Quote:
Tennis great Rod Laver, the last man to win the Grand Slam, was surprised to hear that Rafael Nadal's attempt to win the "Rafa Slam" was over.

The injured Nadal lost in the Australian Open quarterfinals 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 Wednesday to fellow Spaniard David Ferrer at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne. Nadal was trying to win his fourth straight Grand Slam tournament over two seasons.

"That's disappointing for him, really," the 72-year-old Laver told The Associated Press from his home in Carlsbad in northern San Diego County. "In a way, that was an effort to put all those tournaments together through last year. It really was a good performance. I had him as being favored, even to beat Federer, the way he was playing. He just has got a game that's difficult for Roger.

"I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through, but he didn't," Laver said. "They were all counting that he was going to be the defending champion in all four tournaments."

Laver said he knew Nadal had been ill recently and that one of his knees has given him trouble. "It looked like he was playing well," Laver said.

Laver is the last man to win a true Grand Slam, made up of the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in a calendar year. He did it twice, as an amateur in 1962 and again in 1969.

For Nadal to fall short of holding all four Grand Slam titles at the same time shows what an accomplishment it was for Laver, who's still known as "Rocket."

Laver has always diplomatically maintained that it's harder to win a true Grand Slam than to win four straight Grand Slam tournaments over two seasons.

"It is certainly tougher to win in the calendar year," Laver said. "There's a time frame. You don't have any chance unless you start off winning the Australian Open. Otherwise, it doesn't qualify as the Grand Slam.

"Again, the same thing applies with what he did. It takes an unbelievable effort. You've got to be fortunate not to have any injuries or any bloody sicknesses. You've got to prepare yourself to play in four matches. Depending on the draw you've got, that could give you trouble. There are a lot of little things that come along."

Two years ago, the four men Laver beat with his powerful left arm in his 1969 Grand Slam - Spaniard Andres Gimeno and fellow Aussies Ken Rosewall, John Newcombe and Tony Roche - joined Rocket Rod at a lunch at the Australian Open to celebrate the 40th anniversary of his second Slam. Laver also presented Nadal with the trophy after he beat Roger Federer in the title match.
Rod is trolling the tennis world so hard right now

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered User
 
Allez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Rod Laver and Nadal seem to be joined at the hip
Allez is offline  
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,869
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Laver transcends the word "legend".

Noletards in 2015 in a single post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
24 Year old Federer is nothing but a 2015 Djokovic minus 50 % of his fighting capability.
Nadaltards in early 2014 in a single post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Nadal is by far the most naturally talented player of all time and that is the reason his stay at the top is a lot longer than players like Federer etc were able to do.
Orka_n is offline  
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 72
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

i dont think hes trolling. he just doesnt have much intuition thats all. would expect better from him.
mgasol is offline  
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,784
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Laver is a troubled Rafatard. He clearly doesn't like Federer since the guy shed tears both times Rod presented the trophy. And so he wants Nadal (a fellow lefty) to beat Federer's records.

It is obvious

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches

Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

uncle rod telling it like it is

i don't think hes trolling though. hes just expressing himself honestly.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 46
Posts: 3,574
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

He is right the calender grand slam is more important,,more physical & mentally challenging ,there is no off season to recover & improve your game.

The law of nature,only the strong survive.




THE GREAT TACTICAL RIVALRY OF THE OPEN ERA
FEDERER 10 VS TONI NADAL 20
ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
RAPHEAL NADULL,A PRETTY FACE & MUSCLE
NOTHING MORE

Fed 2 nadull 13 fed is nadull CLAY TURKEY. THE REAL ERA 2003-2010.
luie is offline  
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered User
 
delpiero7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 1,933
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
He is right the calender grand slam is more important,,more physical & mentally challenging ,there is no off season to recover & improve your game.
The CYGS is more prestigious certainly, but not for the reasons you have stated IMO. There is hardly any off season to speak of these days, and the only reason we refer to it as an off season is because it's when ALL the players don't play.

However, there are periods throughout a season where a player would get more rest than he would in the 'off season'. Examples are if a player doesn't play between the Aussie Open and the start of Indian Wells, and also if a player doesn't play between Wimbledon and Canadian Masters.

I'm not aware how long the off season used to be back in Laver's day, but maybe there was a more obvious gap between the end of one season and the start of the next. These days that gap isn't there, and that's why I feel a non-CYGS and a CYGS are equal in this era. The only reason I say a CYGS is more prestigious is purely for nostalgic reasons.

Juan Martin Del Potro

David Ferrer - Tommy Haas - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Andy Roddick - Juan Carlos Ferrero - Mardy Fish
delpiero7 is offline  
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiero7 View Post
The CYGS is more prestigious certainly, but not for the reasons you have stated IMO. There is hardly any off season to speak of these days, and the only reason we refer to it as an off season is because it's when ALL the players don't play.

However, there are periods throughout a season where a player would get more rest than he would in the 'off season'. Examples are if a player doesn't play between the Aussie Open and the start of Indian Wells, and also if a player doesn't play between Wimbledon and Canadian Masters.

I'm not aware how long the off season used to be back in Laver's day, but maybe there was a more obvious gap between the end of one season and the start of the next. These days that gap isn't there, and that's why I feel a non-CYGS and a CYGS are equal in this era. The only reason I say a CYGS is more prestigious is purely for nostalgic reasons.
first of all, theres an off season, albeit a short one.

secondly, the Grand Slam extends in a shorter time span. These days from January 17th (the start of the AO) until the 11th of Sept (the end of the USO) -i.e. less than 9 months which is considerably less than a 1 year and 2 weeks which is the time it takes to win 4 GS in a row. Clearly a shorter time span makes it more difficult as you have less time to prepare and to train.

thirdly, there's a bigger mental burden to win the Grand Slam as you're likely to face considerably more pressure to win the fourth slam of the season than you'd to win, say the first one to make it four in a row. Even if it is for a matter of more prestige attached to the Grand Slam, it is precisely that prestige which adds a special mental burden and a greater interest by the media and the fans. Needless to say, that mental burden of winning the last slam to complete the Grand Slam is greater than the mental burden to win 4 GS in a row.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 46
Posts: 3,574
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiero7 View Post
The CYGS is more prestigious certainly, but not for the reasons you have stated IMO. There is hardly any off season to speak of these days, and the only reason we refer to it as an off season is because it's when ALL the players don't play.

However, there are periods throughout a season where a player would get more rest than he would in the 'off season'. Examples are if a player doesn't play between the Aussie Open and the start of Indian Wells, and also if a player doesn't play between Wimbledon and Canadian Masters.

I'm not aware how long the off season used to be back in Laver's day, but maybe there was a more obvious gap between the end of one season and the start of the next. These days that gap isn't there, and that's why I feel a non-CYGS and a CYGS are equal in this era. The only reason I say a CYGS is more prestigious is purely for nostalgic reasons.
Well you are entitled to your opinion ,its just my opinion its not supported by any facts etc,, I just see the off season as an advantage,however your point is noted,you could easily miss tournies get a rest while other play & "exhaust" themselves is a reasonable point.

The law of nature,only the strong survive.




THE GREAT TACTICAL RIVALRY OF THE OPEN ERA
FEDERER 10 VS TONI NADAL 20
ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
RAPHEAL NADULL,A PRETTY FACE & MUSCLE
NOTHING MORE

Fed 2 nadull 13 fed is nadull CLAY TURKEY. THE REAL ERA 2003-2010.
luie is offline  
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

lost ALL respect for rod laver, completely unnecessary filth spewing from his mouth.
he almost sounds so happy that rafa got injured and that he cant win the 4 in a row.
careergrandslam is offline  
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered User
 
Allez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
first of all, theres an off season, albeit a short one.

secondly, the Grand Slam extends in a shorter time span. These days from January 17th (the start of the AO) until the 11th of Sept (the end of the USO) -i.e. less than 9 months which is considerably less than a 1 year and 2 weeks which is the time it takes to win 4 GS in a row. Clearly a shorter time span makes it more difficult as you have less time to prepare and to train.


thirdly, there's a bigger mental burden to win the Grand Slam as you're likely to face considerably more pressure to win the fourth slam of the season than you'd to win, say the first one to make it four in a row. Even if it is for a matter of more prestige attached to the Grand Slam, it is precisely that prestige which adds a special mental burden and a greater interest by the media and the fans. Needless to say, that mental burden of winning the last slam to complete the Grand Slam is greater than the mental burden to win 4 GS in a row.
Since when has 17th May to 30th January = 1 year & 2 weeks
Allez is offline  
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,377
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Quote:
Originally Posted by careergrandslam View Post
lost ALL respect for rod laver, completely unnecessary filth spewing from his mouth.
he almost sounds so happy that rafa got injured and that he cant win the 4 in a row.
dont worry, he will be your hero and a legend again soon enough the moment he makes a favourable comment about nadal in the press.
dodo is offline  
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Since when has 17th May to 30th January = 1 year & 2 weeks
true.. i was thinking about something totally different. i stand 100% corrected.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered User
 
tennis2tennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,531
                     
Re: "I'll be darned. I thought he'd come all the way through," says Laver

who's the old man kiddin' a couple of days ago he was telling anyone who'd listen that rafa's slam would be inferior to his...the man's relieved!
tennis2tennis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome