My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far! - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sleeping in the house of my latest jumpoff.
Posts: 34,908
                     
My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

As you all may have known, I was banned and haven't been around for the entire almost 2 weeks of the season. Well, I'm back followers, and I've had ample time to watch matches and see how things have gone so far in 2011. Here are some I think of the most important happenings thus far this season.

1)The top 4 look to be on a completely different level. I just see no way that anyone else will win a major or win big titles consistently.

2)Roger looks the best he's looked since 2007. He's aggressive, he's assured in what he wants to do, his backhand is effective, he's returning much better, and moving better now than for the last few years. I'm so impressed by him, he's really proven all of the doubters wrong.

3)
Sickdal is not a threat to win the AO. Hopefully he's back to being Nadal. Davydenko is the worst match-up for both Sickdal and Nadal on the ATP tour. With that said, Nadal I think looked impressive and, given he's healthy, should perform well at AO with a relatively favorable draw.

4)Roddick looks a lot better than he did last year. His shots have more life on them. If he continues to work on his game I can see him finish in the top 6 this season.

5)Del Potro will not be back at his best for a while. But I think signs are positive than he will improve and get back to a good level in due time. Although he lost to Mayer this week I was pretty impressed with his level after being out for so long.
Filo V. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered User
 
finishingmove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 23,607
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

by top 4 you mean fedalmurrovic ?

because soderling is #4 now, and you didn't mention murray specifically, so just wondering...
finishingmove is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered User
 
TennisOnWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,036
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Season starting Monday 17th

HIC IACET ARTHURUS REX QUONDAM REXQUE FUTURUS — "Here lies Arthur, the once and future king."
TennisOnWood is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 PM
.
 
Nole Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 12,498
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Sickdal.
Anyway,Welcome back Filo V. but what about Noleray?
Do you think they will step it up this year?

Nole Rules is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sleeping in the house of my latest jumpoff.
Posts: 34,908
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Yeah, Fedalmurrovic is what I mean by the top 4. Soderling is still the #5 player in the world in spirit until he proves otherwise.
Filo V. is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sleeping in the house of my latest jumpoff.
Posts: 34,908
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLE 107 View Post
Sickdal.
Anyway,Welcome back Filo V. but what about Noleray?
Do you think they will step it up this year?
I hope they do, I was impressed by both the first week of the season. I still, based on what I've seen, think Fedal are the top 2 by a decent margin, but Nole and Murray have stepped up their games. We'll just have to see how they handle the pressure.
Filo V. is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sleeping in the house of my latest jumpoff.
Posts: 34,908
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal_Power View Post
Season starting Monday 17th
Yes.
Filo V. is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered User
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 26
Posts: 12,436
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
As you all may have known, I was banned and haven't been around for the entire almost 2 weeks of the season. Well, I'm back followers, and I've had ample time to watch matches and see how things have gone so far in 2011. Here are some I think of the most important happenings thus far this season.

1)The top 4 look to be on a completely different level. I just see no way that anyone else will win a major or win big titles consistently.

2)Roger looks the best he's looked since 2007. He's aggressive, he's assured in what he wants to do, his backhand is effective, he's returning much better, and moving better now than for the last few years. I'm so impressed by him, he's really proven all of the doubters wrong.

3)
Sickdal is not a threat to win the AO. Hopefully he's back to being Nadal. Davydenko is the worst match-up for both Sickdal and Nadal on the ATP tour. With that said, Nadal I think looked impressive and, given he's healthy, should perform well at AO with a relatively favorable draw.

4)Roddick looks a lot better than he did last year. His shots have more life on them. If he continues to work on his game I can see him finish in the top 6 this season.

5)Del Potro will not be back at his best for a while. But I think signs are positive than he will improve and get back to a good level in due time. Although he lost to Mayer this week I was pretty impressed with his level after being out for so long.
Right his 0 forehand winners in the Brisbane final really attest to that.

Tennis is life...
Motivated Paire Berdych Gulbis Wawrinka Dimitrov Verdasco Giraldo

FlameOn is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered User
 
BK 201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 26
Posts: 482
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Right his 0 forehand winners in the Brisbane final really attest to that.
I think 0 was the tally for the TOTAL AMOUNT OF WINNERS!!!! from Roddick in the whole tournament.



Sad really. Even guys like Ferrer try and play more aggressively. Guys like Hewitt and Murray with powder puff FH's hit more winners. Pretty awful if you're capable of cranking 100mph+ on that wing yet you're just content to get it in.
BK 201 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sleeping in the house of my latest jumpoff.
Posts: 34,908
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Well, I guess we have different opinions on Roddick. Hitting the ball better doesn't automatically mean hitting winners. Hitting winners on every shot generally isn't the objective for most tennis players. Personally, I was pretty impressed with him until he played Soderling, where he struggled a bit. But his intensity level is back, and that's very important for him going forward.
Filo V. is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Registered User
 
oranges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,564
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Well, I guess we have different opinions on Roddick. Hitting the ball better doesn't automatically mean hitting winners. Hitting winners on every shot generally isn't the objective for most tennis players. Personally, I was pretty impressed with him until he played Soderling, where he struggled a bit. But his intensity level is back, and that's very important for him going forward.
But if hitting winners is not among your objectives at all, it basically means you're counting on your defense to outperform anything thrown at you. Otherwise, the match is out your hands and you're relying on your opponent having a bad day. I'm not sure what you were impressed by. He was throughly outplayed by Soderling. Perhaps he can even reach no 6 this season, depending partly on how some others would do, but why would that even be among his primary objectives. I'd expect he's more focused on trying to get a slam (the ranking will surely follow even if he's semi-successful) and that kind of game has zero chances of landing him one. In fact, it is when he ventured into some more pro-active approaches that he had some prominent wins, like against Murray in Wimbledon or Nadal in masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarble View Post
Imo Safin was always relatively powerless
Samanosuke showing his tennis expertise, promising to self-ban himslef from MTF permanently should Čilić:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
About a 500 depends which players he beat on the road to the title . About masters 1000 or GS 1/2 you have my word
oranges is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sleeping in the house of my latest jumpoff.
Posts: 34,908
                     
Re: My top 5 thoughts of the 2011 season so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
But if hitting winners is not among your objectives at all, it basically means you're counting on your defense to outperform anything thrown at you. Otherwise, the match is out your hands and you're relying on your opponent having a bad day. I'm not sure what you were impressed by. He was throughly outplayed by Soderling. Perhaps he can even reach no 6 this season, depending partly on how some others would do, but why would that even be among his primary objectives. I'd expect he's more focused on trying to get a slam (the ranking will surely follow even if he's semi-successful) and that kind of game has zero chances of landing him one. In fact, it is when he ventured into some more pro-active approaches that he had some prominent wins, like against Murray in Wimbledon or Nadal in masters
I guess you're right overall, the level he showed in Brisbane wouldn't win him a major. But personally, I think those times have passed for Andy, regardless. I don't think he's comfortable playing an overly aggressive game and I don't think he can keep it up for extended periods. I was impressed by his movement and his intensity emotionally, and I thought he was hitting with more depth on his shots than the end of last year. You can play to rally and counterpunch if you can prevent yourself from being on the defensive, and by doing that you have to hit deep, and I thought he did a good job of that, until he played Soderling. Overall, I guess I'm just comparing to the Roddick we saw at the end of last year, which was shit. I don't think he's peaked yet. I expect to see better from him in the months going forward. He does have a good draw in Melbourne so that would be a good opportunity to work on some more aggressive tactics.
Filo V. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome