Expenses and life on tour (Amir Weintraub's blog, Tursunov's interview June 2013) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 12,839
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because Amir took the time to write that. The reason why anyone goes for any player (other than those of their nationality or something like that) is usually down to sheer chance. Had some Fed fans started following tennis in 2008 instead of 2004, they might have been Nadal fans instead .
thats quite true.

amir sounds like a nice fella but then i remember that for every amir there are 100 more journeymen in similar circumstances. it's a tough sport... i'd dare say most sports are pretty tough in general for the ones who don't make "the cut", whatever that is in the area of interest.

abraxas21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 12,839
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca74 View Post
It seems that at least some Futures tournaments are held in Israel:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tourname...nger-Tour.aspx

But it is true that the life is even harder for Israelis...
compared to the euros and the yanks, most likely yes.

compared to the south americans, most likely not.

still, it depends on a wide range of circumstances. family income, opportunities for facilities/coaching, etc

abraxas21 is offline  
post #33 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Or Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,082
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Well, how many futures/challengers do you have in south America combined?
Or Levy is offline  
post #34 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 12,839
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

no idea but then again, south america is quite big.

for example, the distance from santiago to caracas is over 3000 miles. from santiago to sao paulo is over 1600 miles.

by contrast, the distance from tel aviv to, say, a big euro capital like berlin, is 1770 miles. you guys have the advantage of being closer to europe which has a lot more opportunities for tournaments. plus, israel is a rich nation with more economical opportunities and i'm sure a more wealthy tennis federation than what you might find in south america.

this all sounds like a pissing contest but it aint my intention at all. i'm just saying, the poorer you are and the farther from the first world you are, the lesser your chances are. by this token, theres a reason why africans don't do well at tennis.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #35 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Or Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,082
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
no idea but then again, south america is quite big.

for example, the distance from santiago to caracas is over 3000 miles. from santiago to sao paulo is over 1600 miles.

by contrast, the distance from tel aviv to, say, a big euro capital like berlin, is 1770 miles. you guys have the advantage of being closer to europe which has a lot more opportunities for tournaments. plus, israel is a rich nation with more economical opportunities and i'm sure a more wealthy tennis federation than what you might find in south america.
this all sounds like a pissing contest but it aint my intention at all. i'm just saying, the poorer you are and the farther from the first world you are, the lesser your chances are. by this token, theres a reason why africans don't do well at tennis.

Are you kidding me? Look how many tournaments Chile has alone, including ATP tournaments Israel doesn't have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ments_in_Chile

Israel's entire sport budget is 67 million shekels. (22 million dollars), I'm sure it's more than than that in at least SOME of the south American countries.
Or Levy is offline  
post #36 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 12,839
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

chile has 1 ATP, 3 Challengers and 6 futures. as for budget, i'd dare say 22 million dollars is more than what any south american country has destined for tennis. but i really dont get whats your point. that it is easier for the average south american to succeed in tennis than it is for the average israeli? if that's what you're saying then you're just wrong.

anyhow, this discussion has taken a misleading direction

abraxas21 is offline  
post #37 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Registered User
 
ariel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Setting up camp on the shores of Mallorca
Posts: 743
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Thanks Or Levy. Amir writes with punch. Maybe he should consider that as a career option given what he's described in his "day in the life" article. Yes, it is nice that the guys on his level help each other out - that's a far cry from what goes on in the top 100. Sure, there are many journeymen in his predicament but now that I've read his take on it, I would gladly follow him. Will check for him at USO qualifying.
ariel2 is offline  
post #38 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered User
 
v-money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,655
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel2 View Post
Thanks Or Levy. Amir writes with punch. Maybe he should consider that as a career option given what he's described in his "day in the life" article. Yes, it is nice that the guys on his level help each other out - that's a far cry from what goes on in the top 100. Sure, there are many journeymen in his predicament but now that I've read his take on it, I would gladly follow him. Will check for him at USO qualifying.
He lost in the first round of qualifying to Ivan Sergeyev.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice you said USO qualifying. He lost his AO qualifying match.
v-money is offline  
post #39 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 40,920
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

If I was Amir, I'd do the Dustin Brown thing, get a big van, and travel all over Europe. Europe has SOOOOOOOO many tournaments every week and the distance is so small between countries it is easier to get around.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #40 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Or Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,082
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

And live in the Van?
Or Levy is offline  
post #41 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,670
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Nice read;thanks

DelPotro:Ferrer:Gulbis:M&M
cobalt60 is offline  
post #42 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered User
 
Helevorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mafialand (once known as Northern Italy)
Posts: 1,482
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

thanks for the post!!
Helevorn is offline  
post #43 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Lurrrkin'
 
Sham Kay Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 26
Posts: 16,017
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Amir's a good looking guy. Sort of an interesting mix of Nole, Bellucci and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Anyway, nice insight into the life of.. well lets face it, the majority of tennis players. Nice that he found the time to let us ordinary people know about the rigors of it all. Doesn't sound appealing, but hey tennis isn't just about immensely talented mega stars. It represents the strength and resolve within a person to strive upwards and never look back on and off the court, ploughing through one adversity after another.

These "journeymen" may not have god-given abilities or hordes of fans and admirers, but their determination to fight doggedly for success is far beyond what most people can even imagine.

*Raises fist* All power to these heroes.

So someone recently informed me that my sig was empty. Said I needed a life affirming motivational quote by a positive role model like Einstein or Oscar Wilde...

Here's a tip. Don't regret nothin'. You ain't got the time. Before you know it, you'll be 60 something years old giving free advice to some cheapskate runt... Then going home and regretting it.

-Drunk 60 something at Poundland
Sham Kay Adams is offline  
post #44 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Moderator
 
ibreak4coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 11,201
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Amir's a good looking guy. Sort of an interesting mix of Nole, Bellucci and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Anyway, nice insight into the life of.. well lets face it, the majority of tennis players. Nice that he found the time to let us ordinary people know about the rigors of it all. Doesn't sound appealing, but hey tennis isn't just about immensely talented mega stars. It represents the strength and resolve within a person to strive upwards and never look back on and off the court, ploughing through one adversity after another.

These "journeymen" may not have god-given abilities or hordes of fans and admirers, but their determination to fight doggedly for success is far beyond what most people can even imagine.

*Raises fist* All power to these heroes.
There would be no Grand Slams without the hundreds of journeymen that play in the early rounds and qualies. Same goes for most events. I wish there was somehow to improve revenue sharing for these guys. I mean, scrubs in American baseball and the NBA make millions of the dollars, and dont have to pay for their travel - and unlike tennis journeymen they rarely have to play. Oh well, life is unfair I guess...
ibreak4coffee is offline  
post #45 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered User
 
Taz Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,863
                     
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Thanks for the translation...interesting read
Taz Warrior is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome