Nadal vs. Sampras Thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Who is Greater??
Nadal 79 41.58%
Sampras 111 58.42%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 562 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:56 AM
Registered User
 
hitchhiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,397
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

this era is weak. i know people don't like to hear this but the competition for federer and nadal on grass/clay is non existant which makes them look better then they actually are.

name 5 good grass court players these days

name 5 good clay court players these days (i.e consistent)
hitchhiker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 562 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,134
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

This post is ridiculous, Nadal does not have the game to win a major oother than RG he might sneek in a AO but he wont come close on grass or at the US open, like Blake proved last year, any power player that gets nadal on a fast surface will beat him. Ljubicic was beating him easily last year in Madrid until he ran out of gas in the 3rd (he had just come from getting to master series final the week before). The win over agassi was impressive but I dont think he can beat good fast court players consistently in a grand slam.
zicofirol is offline  
post #33 of 562 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Registered User
 
A_Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montana, Bulgaria
Age: 31
Posts: 11,575
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicofirol
This post is ridiculous, Nadal does not have the game to win a major oother than RG he might sneek in a AO but he wont come close on grass or at the US open, like Blake proved last year, any power player that gets nadal on a fast surface will beat him. Ljubicic was beating him easily last year in Madrid until he ran out of gas in the 3rd (he had just come from getting to master series final the week before). The win over agassi was impressive but I dont think he can beat good fast court players consistently in a grand slam.
He's just 19 , what do you want from him ? How do you know he will not come close on US open or grass , he reached 3rd round on Wimbledon when he was 17(seventeen) and he lost it in 5 sets if I am correct . A little training on that surface and everything will come good for Rafa
A_Skywalker is offline  
post #34 of 562 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:09 AM
♥ eve ♥
 
R. Bachelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 40,862
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhiker
this era is weak. i know people don't like to hear this but the competition for federer and nadal on grass/clay is non existant which makes them look better then they actually are.

name 5 good grass court players these days

name 5 good clay court players these days (i.e consistent)
Federer and Nadal would have made others look weak in any era. The underdogs are better nowadays than anytime else. But there are two aliens right now, unfortunately for the rest of the field.

Last edited by R. Bachelot; 04-26-2006 at 09:33 AM.
R. Bachelot is offline  
post #35 of 562 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 76
Posts: 2,672
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

If a Fed/Sampras comparison is premature, what can you say about bringing up Nadal in the discussion? But OK, he belongs to the best teens of all time.


I don't like hypocrites, but even worse are the ones who think it's OK to be an asshole as long as you are not hypocritical.
oz_boz is offline  
post #36 of 562 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Registered User
 
hitchhiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,397
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower
Federer and Nadal would have made others look weak in any era. The underdogs are better nowadays than anytime else.
what underdogs?? coria can make QF of a masters while serving 50 double faults per match ffs. is he a alien as well?

ljubicic makes semis of any masters (got injured in monte carlo). another alien?

i cant wait until one of the younger guys begins to play well and dominate this weak field as well, then there will be 3 aliens.

Last edited by hitchhiker; 04-26-2006 at 09:41 AM.
hitchhiker is offline  
post #37 of 562 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 466
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

I'm always curious when people quote ages. I think this is the least important factor because of the differing rate of development of individuals both mentally and physically, and only comes into play when assessing the likely longevity of a career ( or to compare records at certain ages). In tennis, experience going hand in hand with a fast rate of mental and physical development (+ talent, obviously) will see excellent results at an early age.

Nadal has talent, excellent development and experience. He turned pro in 2001 and has already played 183 matches. Gasquet (same age) turned pro in 2002 and has played 99 matches. So Gasquet, at age 19, is certainly not as good as Nadal in achievement because he lacks the same development and experience. I'd give him the nod on talent, though.

Federer, too, at 19, had the talent and was getting the experience, but lacked strong physical and mental development, and only started to come good on all fronts at age 22. Gasquet might be the same. And Nadal might well be unstoppable at 22 with even more experience, but who knows?
Gulliver is offline  
post #38 of 562 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver
Federer, too, at 19, had the talent and was getting the experience, but lacked strong physical and mental development, and only started to come good on all fronts at age 22. Gasquet might be the same. And Nadal might well be unstoppable at 22 with even more experience, but who knows?
That's why I think this thread is silly because we don't know and it's all just a guess. Appreciate the success Nadal is now having but nobody knows what will happen in the future. I'm sure back in 2001-2002 nobody thought Federer would have 7 slam titles just a few years later. Let's come back in a few years and see where Nadal is at before proclaiming his immortality.

nobama is offline  
post #39 of 562 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Purple Rainbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BoL
Age: 35
Posts: 6,782
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Three years later, time to bump this thread.

Comparisons still invalid?

17 (yes, yes, yes!) Slams! And counting....
Purple Rainbow is offline  
post #40 of 562 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Registered User
 
christallh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,057
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Nice bump!

Still to early to call, imo.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." --Stephen Roberts

"Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think."--Arthur Schopenhauer
christallh24 is offline  
post #41 of 562 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered User
 
rafa_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,599
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuchuPati View Post
oh come on!

Im rafa fan, but I honestly doubt that he will be able to win someday Wimbledon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyFed View Post
given his clay orientation, he would need a hell of an adaptation to do well on grass, difficult to do a great clay court season in these conditions, and he needs the clay points for his ranking.
Forget it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK View Post
Right now I think it is best to think of Nadal as a "souped-up" Muster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool4ever View Post
I hate it when people think that just, because Nadal is 19 he still has lots of room for improvement, because infact I think Federer still has greater room for improvement at 24 than Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre♥ View Post
It would be great to see Federer vs Nadal in grass. But that won't happen in the next years. Why? Because Nadal needs a miracle to get into a grass final...

Conclusion:

Federer's worst surface is clay: He's the 2nd best player there.

Nadal's worst surface is grass: He doesn't even belong in the top 20 in this surface.

Federer > Nadal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobhiggins View Post
Nadal will improve, I don't think he's going to become as good as people think he is or he will become that much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zicofirol View Post
This post is ridiculous, Nadal does not have the game to win a major oother than RG he might sneek in a AO but he wont come close on grass or at the US open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
Nadal might well be unstoppable at 22 with even more experience, but who knows?
Awesome bump

14.
rafa_maniac is offline  
post #42 of 562 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Registered User
 
kafemotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 429
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
Three years later, time to bump this thread.

Comparisons still invalid?
where have u been? Bump in time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
I'm always curious when people quote ages. I think this is the least important factor because of the differing rate of development of individuals both mentally and physically, and only comes into play when assessing the likely longevity of a career ( or to compare records at certain ages). In tennis, experience going hand in hand with a fast rate of mental and physical development (+ talent, obviously) will see excellent results at an early age.

Nadal has talent, excellent development and experience. He turned pro in 2001 and has already played 183 matches. Gasquet (same age) turned pro in 2002 and has played 99 matches. So Gasquet, at age 19, is certainly not as good as Nadal in achievement because he lacks the same development and experience. I'd give him the nod on talent, though.

Federer, too, at 19, had the talent and was getting the experience, but lacked strong physical and mental development, and only started to come good on all fronts at age 22. Gasquet might be the same. And Nadal might well be unstoppable at 22 with even more experience, but who knows?
I love this one...
kafemotor is offline  
post #43 of 562 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Registered User
 
christallh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,057
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

rafa_maniac, how breathtakingly wrong were some folks, huh?

But, that Gulliver, was pretty much right on the money.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." --Stephen Roberts

"Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think."--Arthur Schopenhauer
christallh24 is offline  
post #44 of 562 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 37
Posts: 155
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
Three years later, time to bump this thread.

Comparisons still invalid?
You've got some vision..

Please tell us what will be the status of tennis world in 2012.
guptaji is offline  
post #45 of 562 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,797
                     
Re: Forget the Federer-Sampras comparisons, here's Nadal!

I love thread bumping.
Chair Umpire is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome