rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011! - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Will Rafa win all the majors in 2011
yes, he has a good chance 12 16.67%
only injury can stop him 8 11.11%
no, impossible 40 55.56%
we will sea 12 16.67%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,397
                     
rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

if a year ago, someone had suggested rafa would win majors on all 3 surfaces in 2010, many of us would've scratched our heads in disbelief.. and even after rafa's heartbreaking loss to murray at the aussie open this year, the notion of rafa suddenly going on to win the remaining 3 majors seemed still out of the question..

and yet, that's exactly what rafa managed to do..

and now that rafa's healthy and has fully regained his confidence once again and put his annus horribilis of 2009 (as well as the nearly year-long slump that followed it) behind him, can anyone really doubt 2011 will finally be rafa's calendar slam year?

a healthy, and hence a confident rafa simply cannot be derailed at the majors at this rate, regardless of surface.. murray's never done it, the djoker's never done it, delpo's never done it, roger did it only twice during his prime ('06 and '07 wimbledon finals) but since then, nada.. and at the current rate of roger's decline, i seriously doubt the swiss will be the one to derail rafa next year at the majors..

the mallorcan with the 'golden' career slam touch will enter the record books in a huge way next year by becoming the first man to win all 4 majors on 3 different surfaces (clay, grass and hc) in the same calendar year..

2009 served as the catalyst to take rafa's game to a whole new level of all-surface mastery and confidence and that level has not been matched by anyone at the majors so far this year..

that said, is there anyone out there who still doubts rafa can pull off the historic 'calendar slam' feat next year? if so, how so?

rafa nadal's motto: stay humble, stay hungry
anticaria is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticaria View Post
if a year ago, someone had suggested rafa would win majors on all 3 surfaces in 2010, many of us would've scratched our heads in disbelief.. and even after rafa's heartbreaking loss to murray at the aussie open this year, the notion of rafa suddenly going on to win the remaining 3 majors seemed still out of the question..

and yet, that's exactly what rafa managed to do..

and now that rafa's healthy and has fully regained his confidence once again and put his annus horribilis of 2009 (as well as the nearly year-long slump that followed it) behind him, can anyone really doubt 2011 will finally be rafa's calendar slam year?

a healthy, and hence a confident rafa simply cannot be derailed at the majors at this rate, regardless of surface.. murray's never done it, the djoker's never done it, delpo's never done it, roger did it only twice during his prime ('06 and '07 wimbledon finals) but since then, nada.. and at the current rate of roger's decline, i seriously doubt the swiss will be the one to derail rafa next year at the majors..

the mallorcan with the 'golden' career slam touch will enter the record books in a huge way next year by becoming the first man to win all 4 majors on 3 different surfaces (clay, grass and hc) in the same calendar year..

2009 served as the catalyst to take rafa's game to a whole new level of all-surface mastery and confidence and that level has not been matched by anyone at the majors so far this year..

that said, is there anyone out there who still doubts rafa can pull off the historic 'calendar slam' feat next year? if so, how so?
I doubt it.

Federer fans (and the media) thought at one time that Federer could win the Grand Slam rather easily since he was racking up three slams a year, and it did seem that way, but there is always something out there to derail the process. For Federer it was the hurdle of RG. For Rafa it will probably be something we don't foresee now.

The odds are against it.

And it pains me to see Nadal fans doing this sort of crappy predicting of future glory. Nothing is a given in tennis.
star is offline  
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,532
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
And it pains me to see Nadal fans doing this sort of crappy predicting of future glory. Nothing is a given in tennis.
anticaria isn't a typical fan. He's a troll.
MalwareDie is offline  
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

I think CYGS will never be achieved in open era.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered User
 
Everko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 4,137
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
I think CYGS will never be achieved in open era.
I agree. If anyone can do it its Rafa, he has already established his elite play on all surfaces, but its just too hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion
In fact, he may be the one poster here who fails more than you do. Maybe we should all keep that in mind: there is bigger fail than Word Life/Danger Ehren...and its name is Glenn
.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline  
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,532
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
I think CYGS will never be achieved in open era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
I agree. If anyone can do it its Rafa, he has already established his elite play on all surfaces, but its just too hard to do.
:retard: Rod Laver already did it.
MalwareDie is offline  
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Everko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 4,137
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalwareDie View Post
:retard: Rod Laver already did it.
it hasn't been done in over 40 years. plus he said open era:retard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion
In fact, he may be the one poster here who fails more than you do. Maybe we should all keep that in mind: there is bigger fail than Word Life/Danger Ehren...and its name is Glenn
.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline  
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,731
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

6 slams in a row will do.

RG 2010
WIM 2010
USO 2010
AO 2011
RG 2011
WIM 2011

US Open is not so important.
nadal_slam_king is offline  
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadal_slam_king View Post
6 slams in a row will do.

RG 2010
WIM 2010
USO 2010
AO 2011
RG 2011
WIM 2011

US Open is not so important.
Why is USO not important? I would prefer another USO over another AO.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,731
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Why is USO not important? I would prefer another USO over another AO.
LOL I wouldn't. Also, Rafa desperately needs the AO 11 to get THE RAFA SLAM. Definitely most important slam of the year
nadal_slam_king is offline  
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Registered User
 
emotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 21
Posts: 50,293
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Serena Slam maybe, Calendar, I doubt it. I don't see another USO
emotion is offline  
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,731
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
Serena Slam maybe, Calendar, I doubt it. I don't see another USO
AO is most important slam of 2011, so he gets RAFA SLAM. And after that the main aim should be RG/WIM cos they're simply his 2 favorite slams. USO is just a bonus, not significant. Sure he would like the Calendar Year GS but really he's already proven enough at that point with 6 straight slams. No drama if he loses USO.
nadal_slam_king is offline  
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 28
Posts: 2,274
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Let him win AO first! Even that isn't guaranteed.
Priam is offline  
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Registered User
 
tyruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,194
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
it hasn't been done in over 40 years. plus he said open era:retard:
Rod Laver did accomplish it in the open era.

14
tyruk14 is offline  
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,731
                     
Re: rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priam View Post
Let him win AO first! Even that isn't guaranteed.
I agree, that's for sure a life-changing slam, it would shock the world to win 4 straight slams. I say he's got a good chance of cruising through that. Hasn't dropped many sets there in recent times. 2009 didn't lose a set before the semis. 2010 had some comfortable wins before Murray.
nadal_slam_king is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome