Favourite Day/Night Session Of A Grand Slam - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Favourite Day/Night Session Of A Grand Slam

Just wondering what everyones favourite whole day (including night) at a grand slam was. I don't think a similar thread has been done on this.

Mine has got to be day 6 of the 2008 Australian Open, it was absolutely epic. It was:

Day Session

(27) Maria Kirilenko def. (6) Anna Chakvetadze 6-7 (6) 6-1 6-2
Marin Cilic def. (7) Fernando Gonzalez 6-2, 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-1
(1) Roger Federer def. Janko Tipsarevic 6-7(5), 7-6(1), 5-7, 6-1, 10-8

Night Session

(8) Venus Williams def. (31) Sania Mirza 7-6(0) 6-4
(19) Lleyton Hewitt def. (15) Marcos Baghdatis 4-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-7(4), 6-3

Mostly for the Fed/Tipsy and Rusty/Baggy matches but there will never be another session like it with the drama concluding at 4:34am. I saw it all live in person and it was the most entertaining sporting event I've been to so far. Atmosphere was just electric!

So what was everyone elses most memorable day at a slam and list all the matches

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM
10S NE1
 
MacTheKnife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 10,575
                     
Re: Favourite Day/Night Session Of A Grand Slam

Sept 8, 1984

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...saturday_N.htm

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS
MacTheKnife is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Registered User
 
straitup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 8,877
                     
Re: Favourite Day/Night Session Of A Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
Just wondering what everyones favourite whole day (including night) at a grand slam was. I don't think a similar thread has been done on this.

Mine has got to be day 6 of the 2008 Australian Open, it was absolutely epic. It was:

Day Session

(27) Maria Kirilenko def. (6) Anna Chakvetadze 6-7 (6) 6-1 6-2
Marin Cilic def. (7) Fernando Gonzalez 6-2, 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-1
(1) Roger Federer def. Janko Tipsarevic 6-7(5), 7-6(1), 5-7, 6-1, 10-8

Night Session

(8) Venus Williams def. (31) Sania Mirza 7-6(0) 6-4
(19) Lleyton Hewitt def. (15) Marcos Baghdatis 4-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-7(4), 6-3

Mostly for the Fed/Tipsy and Rusty/Baggy matches but there will never be another session like it with the drama concluding at 4:34am. I saw it all live in person and it was the most entertaining sporting event I've been to so far. Atmosphere was just electric!

So what was everyone elses most memorable day at a slam and list all the matches
That was such a great day/night...can't think of much else I've seen that tops that.

Wasn't Kohlschreiber-Roddick in the day session too? I remember that, Fed-Tipsy, and Hewitt-Bags being part of the same TV coverage, although it almost seemed like ESPN overlapped around the day and had the next day's coverage soon after
straitup is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Registered User
 
ApproachShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,542
                     
Re: Favourite Day/Night Session Of A Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
This.

And I know this isn't the question asked in the OP per se but the first half of this year's Wimbledon was in my opinion one of the best opening weeks of a Grand Slam tournament that I have seen in a long while.
ApproachShot is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Favourite Day/Night Session Of A Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitup94 View Post
That was such a great day/night...can't think of much else I've seen that tops that.

Wasn't Kohlschreiber-Roddick in the day session too? I remember that, Fed-Tipsy, and Hewitt-Bags being part of the same TV coverage, although it almost seemed like ESPN overlapped around the day and had the next day's coverage soon after
I think the Kohli/Duck match was the day before on the friday. If that was on the same day Hewitt/Baggy wouldn't have finished till like 7am

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:14 AM
Registered User
 
straitup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 8,877
                     
Re: Favourite Day/Night Session Of A Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
I think the Kohli/Duck match was the day before on the friday. If that was on the same day Hewitt/Baggy wouldn't have finished till like 7am
True
straitup is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome