Murray - Nadal: a comparison
I'm on sick bay for a couple of days and have a lot of spare time. Tired of reading or watching DVDs, I've compared the records of Nadal and Murray. I'm a big Nadal fan, and I also like Murray a lot and am among those who expect him to do well in the following years, so I simply wanted to see how both players compare with one another.
Well, since the job is done I put it here in case some of you find it interesting. I don't pretend to start an argument nor to prove or disprove anything, simply to share something I wasted my time doing.
A few remarks:
- For slams and EOY, I've counted all results equal to or better than a QF. For all other tournaments, I only include wins and finals.
- I've classified tournaments according to their present category (exception Hamburg, which was a MS and I've treated it as such).
- I give the number of years that a player has entered a slam or EOY (end of year masters cup), counting from the very beginning, even if, for example, Rafa's first Wimbledon was in 2003, when he was only 17. Years in which a player skipped a GS are not included. You can see that Rafa has usually played one more time in each major; that is to be expected, since he is almost a year (11 months) older than Andy.
- Since Rafa has been around about 6 years while Andy only 5, if all other things were equal, Andy would be tied with Rafa if he had about 80% of Rafa's results.
- Besides the overall records, I have added a totally subjective category called "big results", which incldes only wins and finals in the year's 14 main events (4GS, EOY, 9MS1000), plus Olympics, to avoid comparing apples to pears if all the minor tournaments are included.
NOTE: This is the first time I try to attach something to a post, so I hope it works.
Murray wins: 1 Cinci, 1 Miami, 2 Canada (Montreal & Toronto), 1 Madrid-hard; 1 Rotterdam, 1 Valencia; 1 Queens, 2 Doha, 2 San José, 2 St. Petersburg, 1 Marseille.
Murray finals: 1 USO, 1 AO; 1 IW; 1 Washington; 1 each in Los Angeles, Doha, Bangkok, Metz.
Nadal wins: 5 FO, 2 WB, 1 AO; 1 Olymp.; 6 MC, 5 Rome, 1 Hamburg, 1 Madrid-clay, 2 IW, 2 Canada (1Montreal, 1 Toronto), 1 Madrid-hard; 5 Barcelona, 1 Acapulco, 1 Beijing, 1 Dubai; 2 Stuttgart, 1 Bastad, 1 Sopot, 1 Costa do Sauipe, 1 Queens.
Nadal finals: 2 WB; 1 Hamburg, 1 Madrid-clay, 2 Miami, 1 Shanghai, 1 Bercy; 1 Rotterdam; 1 Auckland, 1 Chennai, 1 Doha.
Last edited by peribsen; 08-23-2010 at 08:15 PM.