Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Manila ESQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 278
                     
Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Roger Federer has either won the GS title or lost to the eventual champion since RG 2003 when he lost to Guga.

If Rafa wins RG 2010, this streak will be broken.

Agassi Nadal

Ampon Barrientos Mamiit Alcantara Patrombon

Muster Enqvist Verdasco Tsonga
Manila ESQ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered User
 
TheMightyFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in space
Posts: 2,490
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Guga loss was in 2004

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."
TheMightyFed is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Registered User
 
coonster14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,361
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

looks like the streak will be broken on sunday.

poor fed, so many streaks coming to an end for him...it was only a matter of time.

NOLE - RAFA - ROGER - DELPO - MUZZA - TSONGA

Also supporting: Rusty, Pics, Nalby, Nando, Baggy, Kei, Isner, Blake, Kolya, Berdych, Richie, Soderling, Gil

Ana - Wozzy - Vika - Kimmy - Makiri

AGASSI,RAFTER,SAFIN
coonster14 is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered User
 
Certinfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 44,876
                     
Certinfy is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Registered User
 
ApproachShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,542
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Yes, I believe the streak is an Open Era record as well.
ApproachShot is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered User
 
BlueSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 41
Posts: 2,243
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

This is one RF streak that I'd love to see die, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen.

Proud fan of Olderer, the GOAT.
BlueSwan is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Registered User
 
nanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,245
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

If we apply Froglogic, does this streak make Federer a worse player. Surely, it must be better to lose to clowns than to eventual champions.

Players who make me...
:Federer - Davydenko - FitDave - Cilic
:Safin - Monfils - Non-Slam Federer.
:Nadal - Roddick - Murray
nanoman is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Registered User
 
2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,501
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

The streak would stretch back further to September 2003 if Burger Shambian wasn't such a choking bitch

"I did not play my best tennis, no? And..that is what enable him to win..to win this match no? "

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.


Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,524
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
The streak would stretch back further to September 2003 if Burger Shambian wasn't such a choking bitch
I don't see how that would change the outcome of the 2004 French Open...
Mjau! is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 55
Posts: 187
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoman View Post
If we apply Froglogic, does this streak make Federer a worse player. Surely, it must be better to lose to clowns than to eventual champions.
Well truth be told, this is how Frog Logic would apply in view of the unexpected Federer loss to Soderling: It is of course better to go deeper in a Grand Slam. But stopping short of the finals is good for Federer. He would lose anyways to Nadal. The record would then by 2-6. A win rate of 25% in GS finals against your stiffest opponent is not what you would consider GOAT. He has achieved all the numbers necessary. There's no need to pad it anymore. Right now, it's about damage control. No more defeats to Nadal, esp. in GS finals. That should be his sole focus. If he's going to face Nadal, best be in the USO or Wimby finals where he might stand a ghost of a chance to win. So losing to Soderman was good for his legacy. He need not add anymore to his lofty resume, but if only to rectify whatever he can against Nadal.

I will say these two things:

- if Soda beats Nadal on Sunday, he is a GREATER RG champion than Federer - remember - champion is about winning - Soda's record would be 50% in the finals vs. Federer's subpar performance in the finals. Less is more - you've heard that from Frog before

- if Nadal continues to go on a tear and finish with say 12 GS when he's done in his career, but without a nemesis, he would be considered among the GOAT candidates, if not THE GOAT.
froghop is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Registered User
 
green25814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 4,379
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoman View Post
If we apply Froglogic, does this streak make Federer a worse player. Surely, it must be better to lose to clowns than to eventual champions.
Of course.

I love all aspects of TENNIS.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Registered User
 
green25814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 4,379
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghop View Post
Well truth be told, this is how Frog Logic would apply in view of the unexpected Federer loss to Soderling: It is of course better to go deeper in a Grand Slam. But stopping short of the finals is good for Federer. He would lose anyways to Nadal. The record would then by 2-6. A win rate of 25% in GS finals against your stiffest opponent is not what you would consider GOAT. He has achieved all the numbers necessary. There's no need to pad it anymore. Right now, it's about damage control. No more defeats to Nadal, esp. in GS finals. That should be his sole focus. If he's going to face Nadal, best be in the USO or Wimby finals where he might stand a ghost of a chance to win. So losing to Soderman was good for his legacy. He need not add anymore to his lofty resume, but if only to rectify whatever he can against Nadal.

I will say these two things:

- if Soda beats Nadal on Sunday, he is a GREATER RG champion than Federer - remember - champion is about winning - Soda's record would be 50% in the finals vs. Federer's subpar performance in the finals. Less is more - you've heard that from Frog before

- if Nadal continues to go on a tear and finish with say 12 GS when he's done in his career, but without a nemesis, he would be considered among the GOAT candidates, if not THE GOAT.
He HAS nemesis'. And they are bigger clowns than Fed's nemesis' for the most part.

For the LAST TIME. Its about styles clashing here, and it doesn't prove all that much. Much of tennis is about stylistic match ups. As it happens, Nadal's game works perfectly against Federer. It doesn't make him a better player however.

I love all aspects of TENNIS.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Registered User
 
mark73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,040
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by green25814 View Post
He HAS nemesis'. And they are bigger clowns than Fed's nemesis' for the most part.

For the LAST TIME. Its about styles clashing here, and it doesn't prove all that much. Much of tennis is about stylistic match ups. As it happens, Nadal's game works perfectly against Federer. It doesn't make him a better player however.
I think hes joking. Frog logic? Just a joker, ignore him. I think at first he really believed what he said in the sampras thread, but after all the knockdown arguments and him talking about frog logic, he knew he was incorrect. Now hes just being goofy.
mark73 is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 55
Posts: 187
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark73 View Post
I think hes joking. Frog logic? Just a joker, ignore him. I think at first he really believed what he said in the sampras thread, but after all the knockdown arguments and him talking about frog logic, he knew he was incorrect. Now hes just being goofy.
I've always stood by what I said in that thread. The knockdown arguments? I've answered every one of them and none you folks were able to take down the argument. "He knew he was incorrect"? LOL. I knew you were the master baiter when you went fishing last summer - don't make claims you know nothing about. I know what I'm correct about and not correct about. I stopped posting because no one could refute the argument. It had nothing to do with being correct or not.

In the GOAT debate, it's a matter of the criteria you set. To most, it's mostly about the numbers and the need to win a GS on every surface. That's not the only set of criteria, nor is it the best set of criteria.
froghop is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 55
Posts: 187
                     
Re: Another RF streak may be broken on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by green25814 View Post
He HAS nemesis'. And they are bigger clowns than Fed's nemesis' for the most part.

For the LAST TIME. Its about styles clashing here, and it doesn't prove all that much. Much of tennis is about stylistic match ups. As it happens, Nadal's game works perfectly against Federer. It doesn't make him a better player however.
Federer has one nemesis. It's singular not plural. If you say Nadal has nemesis (or nemeses) - I'll be interested to hear for you who they are. And please don't bring up random floaters who he might have lost to from time to time. Someone preferably in the top ten who you can say has consistently beaten him, in a similar manner by which he beats Federer.

On match ups: it's all part of the game. Just because Nadal is a bad match up for Federer does not excuse Federer of being owned by Nadal. Isn't that similar to Sampras not mastering clay surface - if you can say Federer cannot master the game that Nadal brings to the table.
froghop is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome