Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss? - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 754
                     
Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

Which players do which? I know that Federer and Roddick pretty much always choose to serve, and Nadal to receive. Lleyton mostly chooses to receive, although I've seen him choose to serve at times. Same with Djokovic.

ANDRE AGASSI, MONICA SELES, JENNIFER CAPRIATI


Lleyton Hewitt, Lindsay Davenport


Pat Rafter, Mark Phillippoussis, Rafael Nadal, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Sjeng Schalken, Chris Guccione. Martina Hingis, Kim Clijsters, Serena Williams, Alicia Molik, Mary Pierce, Amanda Coetzer, Anna Kournikova.
lleytonfan! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 AM
Mais Oui
 
-Valhalla-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Asgard
Posts: 778
                     
Re: Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

Last year at Madrid, Fed won the toss but elected to receive against Rafa ... a subtle, yet crafty psychological ploy.

.. ..

"He who endures, conquers."
- Persius
-Valhalla- is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 AM
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 28
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

I've heard some players choose to receive so they can try for an early break.

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesswoop View Post
I've heard some players choose to receive so they can try for an early break.
yes actually I think it's a good idea as I see many breaks in first game.
Also in second game but less.

Then I think it may be a better idea to receive first.

The counter-argument is that in the end of the set, it's better psychologically to be the first to serve to force the opponent to serve to stay in the set.

And that advantage can even extend to the next set.

useless old guy
duong is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 AM
country flag HKz
Hakeem
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mesa
Posts: 5,234
                     
Re: Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
yes actually I think it's a good idea as I see many breaks in first game.
Also in second game but less.

Then I think it may be a better idea to receive first.

The counter-argument is that in the end of the set, it's better psychologically to be the first to serve to force the opponent to serve to stay in the set.

And that advantage can even extend to the next set.
That is if you are a good/quick starter or can quickly serve that first game to bed. Or sometimes many top players use that first game or two to really find that rhythm and try to get into long rallies. Even if they get broken in the first game, I don't think they really care that much unless it is against a big server or whatever.

I know in Federer's case, since 2008 or so, he has had trouble finding that rhythm off his first serve and forehand early on in matches. It isn't like pre-2008 Federer where he would get a good two aces or so in the first game. It has increasingly become dangerous for him to serve first than prior years. I mean these days it appears he can barely get his first serve in the first game and his forehand goes absolutely wild. But then again, I don't think he is really there 100% mentally in non-Slam events regardless..

Federer / Haas / Safin / Gaudio / Kuerten / Youzhny / Nadal / Gonzalez / Ljubicic / Hewitt / Soderling / Wawrinka / Coria / Nalbandian / Kohlschreiber
HKz is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Registered User
 
alter ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 5,036
                     
Re: Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesswoop View Post
I've heard some players choose to receive so they can try for an early break.
Federer's last match so far against Berdych. Fed won the toss, and choose the side with the wind on his back, Birdbrain then choose to serve (against the wind obviously). No need to say that Fed broke.

Roger Federer | Benoît Paire| Stanislas Wawrinka | Nick Kyrgios
alter ego is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 87
                     
Re: Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

I always choose to receive , because : then i can serve after the sidechanges , so before serve i always have 1 minute to rest , and then when the opponent serves , he becomes a bit more tired , and i can try to break him. serve needs more energy than receiving.

fabrice santoro , taylor dent , michael llodra , marat safin , arnaud clement , tommy haas ,
szelesvigyor is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by szelesvigyor View Post
I always choose to receive , because : then i can serve after the sidechanges , so before serve i always have 1 minute to rest , and then when the opponent serves , he becomes a bit more tired , and i can try to break him. serve needs more energy than receiving.
yes it's also a good argument

Especially Tsonga should always choose to receive against Nadal, since his problem against him is that he gets so angry after Nadal's serves (time to serve + difficulty to break him) that he dashes off his serve

I have the impression from my late memories that Youzhny also prefers serving after sidechange for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ
I know in Federer's case, since 2008 or so, he has had trouble finding that rhythm off his first serve and forehand early on in matches. It isn't like pre-2008 Federer where he would get a good two aces or so in the first game. It has increasingly become dangerous for him to serve first than prior years. I mean these days it appears he can barely get his first serve in the first game and his forehand goes absolutely wild. But then again, I don't think he is really there 100% mentally in non-Slam events regardless..
yes traditionnally Federer preferred serving first, I think because he can put pressure on the opponent's serve and mind when he serves to stay in the set. Also because he used to be a very good starter.

But now he becomes old, and old players are rustier .He's more and more often broken in first game because of what you say. Maybe more outside of slams, but it also happens in slams, for instance against Davydenko in Melbourne, he saved his serve at the extreme limit in first game, whereas he had given him his serve when serving first in Doha.

Berdych also has problems to start, and has been fragile in many of the starts I saw from him recently.

useless old guy

Last edited by duong; 04-20-2010 at 09:26 AM.
duong is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Choosing to serve/receive when winning the toss?

I think against a big server, I know especially Tsonga, it can be good to choose to receive first, as these players are very hard to break but in first game, there may be an opportunity if they’re not fully into the match.

Especially I’ve seen Tsonga lose his first serving game quite a couple of times.

useless old guy
duong is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome