Nadal is not planning to play Madrid? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
shawshank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 1,636
                     
Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Organizers of Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open have just shown a poster of the tournament.http://www.marca.com/2010/03/23/tenis/1269343999.html In this poster you can see Federer, Henin and... Verdasco. Does the fact that hey didn't put Nadal who is most popular player in Spain (although Nando is from Madrid) means that Nadal alredy told them that he won't play this year?
Last year this Madrid cost Rafa all the injuries. That would be great choice to skip it this year. Maybe they just don't want to announce it not to lose a lot of people who would buy tickets.
It's just a thought. I mean I can be totally wrong, but I want to know what is a common opinion...


RAFAEL NADAL

CAREER GRAND SLAM: 1 AO, 10 RG, 2 WIM, 2 US
TOTAL TOURNAMENTS WON: 73 (53 CLAY), (30 MASTERS 1000)

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
HAAS, MONFILS, THIEM, DIMITROV,
KUBOT, JANOWICZ, PRZYSIĘŻNY, MAJCHRZAK

GOAT: PETE SAMPRAS
shawshank is offline  
post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 526
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

I don't see how Rafa cannot play it assuming its a mandatory tournament.

I bet he would love to skip it. For me, this Madrid tournament sums up the problems with Tennis. Its one tournament too many so soon before the premiere Clay tournament in the world. We already have Barcelona, Rome, Monte Carlo and others, its overkill as far as I'm concerned when it comes to clay. It seems nothing more than a money making exercise and to show off Madrid to the world; but the timing of the tournament - I don't like it.
laurie-1 is offline  
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered User
 
acionescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: junk store
Posts: 56,000
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

i know he said that he knows that he has to chose between Godo and Madrid and that the decision is taken but he's gonna announce it just before the tournement starts or depending how the clay season unfolds. I think he would love to skip Madrid but I don't know if he will. And Verdasco was last year a big blue clay enthusiast and he's from Madrid and the relation between Rafa and Tiriac is not great, so here you have it, a Verdasco poster
acionescu is offline  
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered User
 
MariaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42,336
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank View Post
Organizers of Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open have just shown a poster of the tournament.http://www.marca.com/2010/03/23/tenis/1269343999.html In this poster you can see Federer, Henin and... Verdasco. Does the fact that hey didn't put Nadal who is most popular player in Spain (although Nando is from Madrid) means that Nadal alredy told them that he won't play this year?
Last year this Madrid cost Rafa all the injuries. That would be great choice to skip it this year. Maybe they just don't want to announce it not to lose a lot of people who would buy tickets.
It's just a thought. I mean I can be totally wrong, but I want to know what is a common opinion...
Would be a VERY smart move. At the end of last year (like Shanghai or London WTF) he finally publicly admitted that playing Madrid last year was a mistake and he kinda hinted that he might skip Madrid in 2010.

And nothing wrong with the Verdasco poster.

Edit: Andreea, there's actually no way he'd skip Barcelona but it'll probably depend on his health and how many macthes he has played.

FAN OF THE BEAUTY
MariaV is offline  
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered User
 
TennisOnWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,030
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Skip the bloody Madrid.. Barca crown will be more then enough

HIC IACET ARTHURUS REX QUONDAM REXQUE FUTURUS — "Here lies Arthur, the once and future king."
TennisOnWood is offline  
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 250
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Madrid is a great tourney, I loved it last year. Had the best clay matches and had a good final/semifinal. I reckon it should be pushed back slightly though.
LEGENDOFTENNIS is offline  
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Madrid clown tournament, and Nadal should have enough matches by then, so no need to play it.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered User
 
Everko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 4,137
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

And every player playing Madrid breathes a massive sigh of relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion
In fact, he may be the one poster here who fails more than you do. Maybe we should all keep that in mind: there is bigger fail than Word Life/Danger Ehren...and its name is Glenn
.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline  
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,179
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

entire problem will be solved if indian wells and miami are fucked for good and montecarlo is advanced by 2 weeks........
Start da Game is offline  
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Registered User
 
MrChopin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 2,356
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

I agree with everyone here. Barcelona is more important than Madrid. Madrid altitude is too high. Current schedule should be scrapped. Every clay tournament spaced by a week. Rafa would win them all. Every tournament should be switched to clay. Fear the monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
Nadal will be fine by australian open......
You're like a living unforced error.
MrChopin is offline  
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 42,997
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Upgrade Barcelona to TMS status, downgrade Madrid to 500 status, and switch the tournaments on the calendar.

The only reason Nadal should play Madrid is if he loses early in Rome. Other than that, homie better skip that shit.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered User
 
Everko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 4,137
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
Upgrade Barcelona to TMS status, downgrade Madrid to 500 status, and switch the tournaments on the calendar.

The only reason Nadal should play Madrid is if he loses early in Rome. Other than that, homie better skip that shit.
tough guy huh? Your no Nadal fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion
In fact, he may be the one poster here who fails more than you do. Maybe we should all keep that in mind: there is bigger fail than Word Life/Danger Ehren...and its name is Glenn
.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline  
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Barcelona will never be upgraded to TMS status because they don't want to move to a bigger venue.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
country flag tea
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 32
Posts: 443
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

It took him some years, but he's got a bit wiser. Damn.

Quote:
Every tournament should be switched to clay.
But the whole season of clay would tire Rafito even with week spaces. I think we better make tennis a season sport which starts in April and ends in June. And those unspartan surfaces would disappear by default.
tea is offline  
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Age: 27
Posts: 42,997
                     
Re: Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea View Post
It took him some years, but he's got a bit wiser. Damn.


But the whole season of clay would tire Rafito even with week spaces. I think we better make tennis a season sport which starts in April and ends in June. And those unspartan surfaces would disappear by default.
The ATP needs more clay events, yes, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
tough guy huh? Your no Nadal fan
Nah, can't stand the guy.

You're a bigger Nadal fan than I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Barcelona will never be upgraded to TMS status because they don't want to move to a bigger venue.
Seems like the good of the game constantly has to take a back seat to the pursuit of $$$.

Shame.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome