Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Which decade did you prefer?
The Nineties 21 22.34%
The Noughties 73 77.66%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 526
                     
Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

A simple question, not which decade was better but which decade did you enjoy more for watching Tennis and the names who participated in those decades. Of course, some players overlap decades but that's normal - in the main which decade did you prefer and why.

Just to help you along, some protagonists from the 1990s:

Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Courier, Rafter, Henman, Correta, Brugera, Ivanesivic, Krajicek, Stich, Sampras, Agassi, Chang, Korda, Rios, Kuerten, Kafelnikov, Philippouisis, Muster, Costa, Moya, Todd Martin and others

The 2000s:
Ferrero, Gaudio, Henman, Moya, Federer, Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, Verdasco, Nadal, Karlovic, Djokovic, Murray, Blake, Robredo, Del Potro, Agassi, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Gonzalez, Tsonga, Haas, Soderling and others
laurie-1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Registered User
 
ossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 6,429
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

i like federer, delpo, nadal, murray so i prefer noughties lol
ossie is offline  
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:23 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28,987
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Impossible poll really, there have been parts of the 00s that were good and parts of the 00s that were shit, same with the 90s as well.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

hard to compare but i guess the noughties simply because i never really liked sampras or the prevalent serve and volley stuff of the nineties and thus i didn't like the game that much back then. still, there were some great players i enjoyed... ríos, agassi, chang, kafelnikov, kuerten, etc.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie-1 View Post
A simple question, not which decade was better but which decade did you enjoy more for watching Tennis and the names who participated in those decades. Of course, some players overlap decades but that's normal - in the main which decade did you prefer and why.

Just to help you along, some protagonists from the 1990s:

Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Courier, Rafter, Henman, Correta, Brugera, Ivanesivic, Krajicek, Stich, Sampras, Agassi, Chang, Korda, Rios, Kuerten, Kafelnikov, Philippouisis, Muster, Costa, Moya, Todd Martin and others

The 2000s:
Ferrero, Gaudio, Henman, Moya, Federer, Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, Verdasco, Nadal, Karlovic, Djokovic, Murray, Blake, Robredo, Del Potro, Agassi, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Gonzalez, Tsonga, Haas, Soderling and others
you shouldn't put a list of players : if people are not able to remember they should just not vote

Esp as some choices are highly debatable : for instance, if Lendl is a player of the 90s, then Sampras is also a player of the 00s

In my opinion, none of them are players of these decades, but of course if you write "Lendl" inside the 90s and not Sampras in the 00s, you let people think of memories ... of the 80s to give a value to the 90s.

And more generally when you write players' names to remember of a decade, and some of these players have played in other decades (like Becker and Edberg), you suggest some memories to people which just didn't belong to this decade. That's why writing names as you did is clearly misleading. For instance, I appreciated a lot Becker in the 80s, much less in the 90s (for instance he didn't do anything on clay in the 90s contrary to what he did in the 80s).

I preferred 80s > 00s > 90s, didn't know 70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Impossible poll really, there have been parts of the 00s that were good and parts of the 00s that were shit, same with the 90s as well.
exactly

useless old guy

Last edited by duong; 03-19-2010 at 03:39 PM.
duong is offline  
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Mais Oui
 
-Valhalla-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Asgard
Posts: 778
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Lendl definitely belongs in the '80s and Becker and Edberg broke thru in '85 so the decades don't fit neatly as you suggest. Nevertheless, here’s how I’d classify the players you listed ...

1990s:
Highly entertaining/enjoyable to watch:
Becker, Sampras, Chang, Agassi, Kuerten, Rios

Moderately entertaining/enjoyable to watch: Lendl, Courier, Korda, Ivanisevic, Muster

: Rafter, Edberg, Krajicek, Philippousis, Stich, Henman, Correjta, Bruguera, Kafelnikov, Costa, Moya, Martin


2000s:
High: Nadal, Federer, Agassi, Djokovic, Del Potro, Nalbandian

Moderate: Soderling, Murray, Ferrero, Hewitt, Davydenko, Safin, Ljubicic, Gonzo, Tsonga, Verdasco

: Roddick, Henman, Gaudio, Moya, Karlovic, Blake, Haas, Robredo

... Far less sleep-inducing tennis matches overall in the 2000s and with the EPIC, COLOSSUS Naderer Rivalry [which EASILY trumps Sampras-Agassi], the Noughties wins handily IMO.

.. ..

"He who endures, conquers."
- Persius
-Valhalla- is offline  
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28,987
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Del Potro entertaining, Edberg and Henman boring...

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,132
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

The Noughties.
Persimmon is offline  
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Mais Oui
 
-Valhalla-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Asgard
Posts: 778
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Del Potro entertaining, Edberg and Henman boring...
A large part of my negative bias toward Edberg is due to the fact that there were soo many S&V'ers during his era. What resulted was highly predictable, highly boring matches in which you could count the number of 5+ stroke rallies on one hand. Oftentimes, the ONLY strategy on fast surfaces was who could get to net first.

When he did play solid baseliners like Lendl, Wilander, Courier, Chang et al, things were not much better because he knew he couldn't hang with them from the baseline so he'd bum rush the net on 1st AND 2nd serves, and then when he did stay back, he'd hit 2-6 groundies and then slice and come to net. It could be very tedious to watch over the course of a decade against S&V practioners like Becker [his chief rival], Stich, Cash, Annacone, Sampras etc.

.. ..

"He who endures, conquers."
- Persius
-Valhalla- is offline  
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Edberg boring? You must retire from this forum immediately.
Lleyton_ is offline  
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Mais Oui
 
-Valhalla-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Asgard
Posts: 778
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lleyton_ View Post
Edberg boring? You must retire from this forum immediately.
yes, painfully boring to watch.

.. ..

"He who endures, conquers."
- Persius
-Valhalla- is offline  
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Registered User
 
Andi-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheffield
Age: 29
Posts: 5,998
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

I can't make a unbiased judgement as I only really started watching tennis towards the end of the 90's. But I have to say 20 aces per set and 3 shot rallies dosen't really do it for me so I went with noughties.

Go Andy!

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline  
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 148
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

i prefer Frosties... and Weetabix...
Vaskalainen is offline  
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 526
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
you shouldn't put a list of players : if people are not able to remember they should just not vote

Esp as some choices are highly debatable : for instance, if Lendl is a player of the 90s, then Sampras is also a player of the 00s

In my opinion, none of them are players of these decades, but of course if you write "Lendl" inside the 90s and not Sampras in the 00s, you let people think of memories ... of the 80s to give a value to the 90s.

And more generally when you write players' names to remember of a decade, and some of these players have played in other decades (like Becker and Edberg), you suggest some memories to people which just didn't belong to this decade. That's why writing names as you did is clearly misleading. For instance, I appreciated a lot Becker in the 80s, much less in the 90s (for instance he didn't do anything on clay in the 90s contrary to what he did in the 80s).

I preferred 80s > 00s > 90s, didn't know 70s

exactly

I know, that's why I said its normal for players to overlap decades. Lendl was competive up to 1994 (quarterfinal of Aussie Open and finalist in Sydney) so that's why I mentioned him. Sampras of course early 2000s but didn't play after that (he should have, he was still competitive and only 31 years old at the time). But I was just throwing names out there, I wasn't trying to be profound.
laurie-1 is offline  
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered User
 
Echoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 1,902
                     
Re: Which decade did you prefer? Nineties or Noughties

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
For instance, I appreciated a lot Becker in the 80s, much less in the 90s (for instance he didn't do anything on clay in the 90s contrary to what he did in the 80s).


I remember Becker doing very well on clay in his very last years when he retired from Slams. Not playing Wimbledon, he decided to play Gstaad and Mercedes Cup and reached the final in Gstaad, if I remember well.
Echoes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome